Bible Series on History Channel

Pie, I'd have to research more about the state of Israel during Joseph's day. I know Israel went back and forth dozens of times between disobedience and faithfulness.

Edited by M30USA
  • Like 2

If you ever come across anything, let me know. I was just curious. :)

Sometimes I think that we haven't really changed that much (as humans) in 5000 years.

• Author
TheFinalWord
Pie, I'd have to research more about the state of Israel during Joseph's day. I know Israel went back and forth dozens of times between disobedience and faithfulness.

Well, basically there was no state of Israel during Joseph's time. Jacob, whose name was changed to Israel by God, was the father of Joseph. Israel's 12 sons were the origin of the 12 tribes of Israel. Israel and his sons came into Egypt to escape famine. Joseph was sent ahead, rising from slave to governor of Egypt, to save Israel. After Joseph died, another Pharaoh that did not know Joseph arose and enslaved Israel...then comes Moses :D

The Twelve Tribes of Israel

• Like 1
  • Author
TheFinalWord
What about believers vs. non-believers during Joseph's time? Obviously not believers in Christ, but believers God. I'm just curious.

TFW, I was just looking up information about the Christian population, and this website says that the percentage of Christians in the world has hovered right around 33% for the past 100 years. Wikipedia says the current Christian population is 33%. That is so interesting!

I wonder if the same was true during Joseph's time.

I'm not saying that the 33% in these statistics are really God's chosen people; only God knows about that. But it is interesting.

Oh, thank you! I really like that first site! Very interesting. Kind of crazy that Mexico is 95% Christian with all of the problems there!

• Author
TheFinalWord
Well, basically there was no state of Israel during Joseph's time. Jacob, whose name was changed to Israel by God, was the father of Joseph. Israel's 12 sons were the origin of the 12 tribes of Israel. Israel and his sons came into Egypt to escape famine. Joseph was sent ahead, rising from slave to governor of Egypt, to save Israel. After Joseph died, another Pharaoh that did not know Joseph arose and enslaved Israel...then comes Moses :D

The Twelve Tribes of Israel

Oh, when you look at that map, Joseph's sons were Ephraim and Manasseh. Jacob gave Joseph double blessing, so Joseph's sons are generally considered as the tribe of Joseph (if memory serves).

Oh, thank you! I really like that first site! Very interesting. Kind of crazy that Mexico is 95% Christian with all of the problems there!

There may be still living Mexicans who fought their government (1926-1929) for the right to worship in a Catholic mass. Neither drug lords nor single mothers would be a cause for a great loss of faith.

• Like 2

I am loving this series! It has brought me to tears many times over for the wonderful things God has done for His people! God is so good!

So grateful for Mark Burnett, for being brave enough to bring the true story of the bible to tv. May God bless his life tenfold!

• Like 2
  • Author
TheFinalWord
I am loving this series! It has brought me to tears many times over for the wonderful things God has done for His people! God is so good!

So grateful for Mark Burnett, for being brave enough to bring the true story of the bible to tv. May God bless his life tenfold!

Mercy!!!!! Yeahhhhh! Good to see you :):bunny:

pureinheart
LOL! HILARIOUS!

These angels could actually make people blind! I still can't comprehend that. I don't view anything as magical, so from my perspective these angels possessed some mental or technological ability to screw with a humans neurological functions.

You crack me up M30- no not magical, possibly supernatural, beyond our realm of human comphension?

I like your perspective though:)

pureinheart

You know TFW, that could be why the problems do exist- enemy attack. I know first hand that the Mexican population is predominately Christian, not just in name, but heart. Their culture for the mostpart has the Spirit of humility.

The funny thing is, even with the gangs over here, mention God and they all drop to their knees...no lie.

• Like 1
You know TFW, that could be why the problems do exist- enemy attack. I know first hand that the Mexican population is predominately Christian, not just in name, but heart. Their culture for the mostpart has the Spirit of humility.

The funny thing is, even with the gangs over here, mention God and they all drop to their knees...no lie.

Christian or Catholic?

pureinheart
Christian or Catholic?

Mostly Christian M30...the ones that I know anyway:)

Christian or Catholic?

In Mexico about 83% claim to be Catholic Christians and about 10% claim to be Christians with other groups. Since the Catholic church claims all who were baptized by a Catholic Priest or Deacon the numbers may be higher then the mass attendence figures.

This is despite the Mexican Constitution of 1917 in article 130 and others almost prohibited the Church from existing and it took a 1926 shooting war against the Calles government for Mexico to allow religious freedom for Catholics as well as minority religious groups.

pureinheart

Also I want to add, if LE want to get a better handle on the gangs in LA, just identify the gang members and gather up their mothers and bring them to raids...oh boy, now that would be effective! Hummmm, maybe that would work in Mexico too?

• Like 1
Also I want to add, if LE want to get a better handle on the gangs in LA, just identify the gang members and gather up their mothers and bring them to raids...oh boy, now that would be effective! Hummmm, maybe that would work in Mexico too?

In many cases the young mother is just as much of a gangster as the dead or jailed baby daddy. The life took out an entire generation and grandmother did her best to divorce the rema

ining child from the neighborhood gang.

In Mexico about 83% claim to be Catholic Christians and about 10% claim to be Christians with other groups. Since the Catholic church claims all who were baptized by a Catholic Priest or Deacon the numbers may be higher then the mass attendence figures.

This is despite the Mexican Constitution of 1917 in article 130 and others almost prohibited the Church from existing and it took a 1926 shooting war against the Calles government for Mexico to allow religious freedom for Catholics as well as minority religious groups.

I don't consider Catholicism as Christianity.

The only absolute doctrine of Christianity is that Christ is God, the Son, in human flesh and that there are no other gods. Catholocism worships Mary and, furthermore, suggests that Mary functions as a gateway towards accessing Jesus. I consider Catholicism another pagan religion. Does this mean all Catholics are going to hell? No. I believe there are some people who are mixed in with the CULTURE of Catholocism who aren't fully aware of Catholicism's doctrines and honestly worship Jesus alone. But how common is that?

• Author
TheFinalWord

Very interesting PIH and Taiko! Thanks for sharing. Do either of you have some links I could read about Christianity in Mexico?

Very interesting PIH and Taiko! Thanks for sharing. Do either of you have some links I could read about Christianity in Mexico?

Just try the wiki page for religion in Mexico and the Cistero War. Check out the Andy Garcia movie For Greater Glory for a docudrama treatment of the story of the Cistero War in an English language film

• Like 1