"I feel like I'm drowning" - what does that mean?

I've been having a really hard time coping w/ the break up of my emotional (and slightly physical) affair. I keep replaying everything in my mind, trying to really wrap my mind around what happened -- because I feel like everything happened so fast.

One thing that sticks out is that he said "I keep feeling like I'm drowning". What does this mean? This was in the context of him saying how much he wanted me to break up w/ my boyfriend to be with him, that he can't live without me, and that he always wants me with him.

I feel like he tried to mean it in a positive way, but to me... to say that you feel like you're drowning because of me is a bad thing?

Did he say this before you broke up or after?

If it was after, well, this makes sense. Drowning in sadness, feelings, etc.

I assume he said it before though (while you were still together I mean), and in this case, the fact he said this could mean he felt the relationship (the way it was) caused him to feel like he was drowning. Maybe he felt that because he couldn’t properly be with you due to your boyfriend that he was drowning in those feelings of wanting someone he couldn’t really have. Maybe something like that? Maybe he felt smothered in the relationship, not because of you or anything you did or how he felt about you, but just in terms of the relationship itself. Maybe he felt he loved you more than you loved him because you hadn’t broken up with your boyfriend to truly be with him…I’m not sure what he meant, but don’t automatically take it as negating everything he had told you he felt previously (that he loved you, always wanted to be with you, etc).

• Like 1
  • Author
Did he say this before you broke up or after?

If it was after, well, this makes sense. Drowning in sadness, feelings, etc.

I assume he said it before though (while you were still together I mean), and in this case, the fact he said this could mean he felt the relationship (the way it was) caused him to feel like he was drowning. Maybe he felt that because he couldn’t properly be with you due to your boyfriend that he was drowning in those feelings of wanting someone he couldn’t really have. Maybe something like that? Maybe he felt smothered in the relationship, not because of you or anything you did or how he felt about you, but just in terms of the relationship itself. Maybe he felt he loved you more than you loved him because you hadn’t broken up with your boyfriend to truly be with him…I’m not sure what he meant, but don’t automatically take it as negating everything he had told you he felt previously (that he loved you, always wanted to be with you, etc).

Thank you so much for your thoughtful post. I realized after I posted, that maybe my question wouldn't make sense or might seem stupid to ask. So I appreciate you taking the time to share your insight. I hadn't looked at it that way!

Well, I honestly don’t know what he really meant by it. Only he knows that (and even HE may not be 100% sure, himself!).

I do know though, from personal experience, that often people will say things like that, and feel badly, because of the relationship in general. The dynamics or restrictions of it. Not the actual person they love. It’s hard to differentiate between the two sometimes though, for either person.