Dating a doctor

Drseussgrrl

pm&r = plenty of money and relaxation!

Not all doctors are emotionally closed off, but sometimes it helps being that way in that particular field of work.

I agree, but when dating, not a good way to impress...;)

I agree, but when dating, not a good way to impress...;)

Very true. Sometimes its just hard to separate who you are at work, from who you are outside of work. You spend so much time dealing with people in the hospital, you eventually change.

Sadly, this is also a reason why suicide and depression rates are really high amongst doctors/medical students. Being closed off emotionally is something like a defense mechanism.

I do not mean to be insulting in any way, but did you feel that you did not match up intellectually? Or that they made you feel that way?

Oh intelligence and feeling less then them wasn't the problem at all for me. They all kept telling me how intelligent I am, and honestly my profession matches theirs in terms of coolness in society lol although it doesn't pay as well. Whenever I say my profession people go "ohhhhh, cool".

Honestly I think the main issue was that I'm extremely extroverted and they are usually the opposite, I am not sure my kind of personality is for everyone although shy boys seem to like me. Also, 2 of them were long distance and it's really hard to develop chemistry with a guarded person if you don't interact live often and their schedule doesn't help. To be honest I think a lot of girls hit on them too, so it's hard not to feel a little insecure as people seem to think they're the best catch ever.

But let's see, I'm not giving up yet, somehow there seems to be a lot of Jewish ones so I keep getting contacted by them. Just last week I got 2 more docs contacting me. Maybe I'll find one that matches my personality better.

edit: oh and then there was this one younger than me (32) who seemed perfect... until he invited me and cook dinner at his place. When I refused to sleep with him on the second date... he stopped contacting me :/

Edited by edgygirl
Oh intelligence and feeling less then them wasn't the problem at all for me. They all kept telling me how intelligent I am, and honestly my profession matches theirs in terms of coolness in society lol although it doesn't pay as well. Whenever I say my profession people go "ohhhhh, cool".

Honestly I think the main issue was that I'm extremely extroverted and they are usually the opposite, I am not sure my kind of personality is for everyone although shy boys seem to like me. Also, 2 of them were long distance and it's really hard to develop chemistry with a guarded person if you don't interact live often and their schedule doesn't help. To be honest I think a lot of girls hit on them too, so it's hard not to feel a little insecure as people seem to think they're the best catch ever.

But let's see, I'm not giving up yet, somehow there seems to be a lot of Jewish ones so I keep getting contacted by them. Just last week I got 2 more docs contacting me. Maybe I'll find one that matches my personality better.

edit: oh and then there was this one younger than me (32) who seemed perfect... until he invited me and cook dinner at his place. When I refused to sleep with him on the second date... he stopped contacting me :/

Okay.

Holy Schmoly! The real reason why my doctor friend and I didn't work was that our personalities did not match-up as you described. I am more outgoing and she was painfully NOT. I know now that I had this fantasy view of our relationship and much to do with the fact that she was a doctor (and very pretty! :) ), but it wouldn't have worked out.

Good luck.

Very true. Sometimes its just hard to separate who you are at work, from who you are outside of work. You spend so much time dealing with people in the hospital, you eventually change.

Sadly, this is also a reason why suicide and depression rates are really high amongst doctors/medical students. Being closed off emotionally is something like a defense mechanism.

Really? How high? My ex is certainly dealing with some stuff...:( But, I am steadfast in her corner to support her....i'm a sucker. :p

Really? How high? My ex is certainly dealing with some stuff...:( But, I am steadfast in her corner to support her....i'm a sucker. :p

There are some studies out there, you can access them for free using an educational institute, but I can't provide a direct link to the whole thing.

MMS: Error (New England Journal of Medicine)

Basically, it says that a male doctor has a 40% increased likelihood of committing suicide than a male in the general population. For female doctors, the risk is increased 130%.

There are some studies out there, you can access them for free using an educational institute, but I can't provide a direct link to the whole thing.

MMS: Error (New England Journal of Medicine)

Basically, it says that a male doctor has a 40% increased likelihood of committing suicide than a male in the general population. For female doctors, the risk is increased 130%.

Thank you. Need to read this.