I'm in love with a video game addict!

SugaKayne

I told him it was retarded...spending hours just traveling the immensely boring planets....but still no luck...its like an addiction...which i understand because i've been hooked on games before-metal gear,kotor-and didn't put them down til I was done.However, those games have an end and this online gaming doesn't.It'll go on forever! I know he likes to use it to relax and zone out but I wish Sony had time limits or something...cause my boyfriend can't limit himself.

Hey girl, just letting you know you're not alone. My ex-husband was a video game addict too. Notice I said *ex*. I have lived through just about each situation you described there and more; probably the worst time was when I was in the hospital, on my birthday, recovering from the birth of our first child. Husband popped in at 10 in the AM, said he'd be back around noon. Well, at 11:45 that night he was still at his friend's house playing video games.

You sound like you know exactly what is going on, and yes, it's sad. You have two choices: fight for this relationship or abandon ship. And if you are going to fight for it, you MUST decide what you want and what you will not put up with. Then tell him you guys go to counseling or it's over. And stick to it!!!! He will not get better on his own, he's got a real problem. And if you do go to counseling, make sure the counselor understands just how serious the problem is. For this guy, gaming *is* an addiction. Ask the counselor - would it be ok for him to spend 6 hours a day binge drinking, or shooting up? Hell no!!! Yes, some people can have a beer after work to relax. Some people can have several Cosmopolitans at a party and get a little tipsy, once in awhile. Your guy, unfortunately, can't just take one drink - he downs the whole bottle, and so long as it's in the house he can't resist taking that one drink. You are in for a very hard road with this guy if you want to fight for it. You need to decide if it's really worth, and what exactly you're fighting for. You've been with him for 9 months, 8 of which were taken up with his gaming. Are you sure this is the quality relationship you deserve?

It would be nice if sex really could solve everything, but it doesn't. Not by a long shot. Even if you are able to break his focus by sharing an intimate moment, you shouldn't have to use sex every time to get his attention! He should be able to spend time with you when you're both fully clothed. And there are gamers who will not be deterred even by sex, and will even get annoyed when their girl tries coming on to them when their in the game world. Again, I was married to one.

I personally believe video games are a silent plague. Lots of people complain about them but they are still seen as fairly harmless; there's really not yet an understanding of how these games/activities are *destroying* people's lives. Hey, I play them too - but I know where the 'off' switch is. There is a sizeable group of people who *don't *, and who seemingly *can't* choose their real life over the game life.

My gut feeling is: let this guy go. There really are plenty of other men who will be interested and excited at spending time with you. Sorry this guy turned out to be a dud. Think about what you've learned from it and MOVE ON.

SugaKayne: I'd recommend deleting the game's executable file, but your boyfriend is probably smart enough to just reinstall the game. Fortunately, PCs have a thing called a registry. Type start-run-regedit. Find the game folder under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE. Start messing with all the data entries, adding new crazy types, wreak havoc and corrupt that folder. Then, delete the game's executable. He'll try to reinstall, but the game will fail over and over until he finally gives up.