"Blessed are the poor in spirit..."

Yes, and we will continue to see the impact of dismissing God and His representation.

He gives us choice.

I like how you used the word "representation" regarding Jesus. Paul said that Jesus was the exact nature of God. The Greek phrase has the imagery of a printing press, making an exact replica of the original. Jesus represents EXACTLY who God is. Therefore, if someone claims to believe in God, yet denies Jesus, according to the words of Jesus they are a liar. It's easy to say we believe in God. It's the details that count. WHICH God are we talking about? When you really crack down on the details, many people are quite repulsed at Jesus and can't accept that God would be like him (and is him). It takes revelation from the Holy Spirit to see it, since the ways of man are sinful and unlike the ways of God.

Edited by M30USA

How refreshing. A thread on theological discussion with no dissenters adding sour grapes to sully the flavour.

Good one.

How refreshing. A thread on theological discussion with no dissenters adding sour grapes to sully the flavour.

Good one.

Being a bible-believing follower of Christ on this forum IS being a dissenter. We're clearly in the minority.

UpwardForward
I like how you used the word "representation" regarding Jesus. Paul said that Jesus was the exact nature of God. The Greek phrase has the imagery of a printing press, making an exact replica of the original. Jesus represents EXACTLY who God is. Therefore, if someone claims to believe in God, yet denies Jesus, this is why they are liars. Jesus, himself, said such a person is a liar--and even went on to say their real father is Satan. Ouch.

Representation should be pretty self explanatory. Allowing athiests or ACLU to direct traffic re: Displaying the Cross on gravesites/monuments/documents. Christmas displays in parks, etc. Pushing Jesus' birthday celebration aside for the sake of other 'religions' i.e. Merry Christmas has turned into 'happy holidays'. Taking down display of 10 Commandments / Lord's Prayer, etc.

UpwardForward
Okay, here's a loaded question.

Was Adam Lanza "poor in spirit"?

Imo, Adam was spiritually poor. i.e. allowed circumstances and people to defeat him instead of looking to his Creator with faith, hope, redemption, reliance, etc.

• Author
Imo, Adam was spiritually poor. i.e. allowed circumstances and people to defeat him instead of looking to his Creator with faith, hope, redemption, reliance, etc.

So, do you think the kingdom of heaven is his?

(Not a trick question... I'm struggling with this.)

UpwardForward
So, do you think the kingdom of heaven is his?

(Not a trick question... I'm struggling with this.)

I've struggled with it with my loved ones who I believe did not receive Jesus. And they were not murderers.

• 2 weeks later...
"... for theirs is the kingdom of heaven." -Matthew 5:3

What does "poor in spirit" mean? Lack of courage? Meek? (but He addresses the meek directly a little further down, saying they'll inherit the earth) Stupid? Broken? Emotionally stunted? I don't know.

And is this something I should aspire to, as a Christian? something that can be developed? or is it a matter of, you either have it or you don't?

Hi OB, what a wonderful thread!

I have nothing scripturally to back this up, although I've always felt the "poor in spirit" depicts the travails and trials that a Christian goes through. Like a sadness for something. Many times I've travailed over a matter and have felt poor in spirit.

A really good example is a travail I went through while working on Columbia (Shuttle). There was a sadness concerning that vehicle, I just couldn't shake it. In fact it was so heavy I broke out into radical tears while repairing some surface insulation under the midbody...went into radical intercession also. We did this mod shortly before the disaster.

Another incident would be the Pentagon shortly before 9/11. Everytime we'd drive by it I'd scream in prayer (tongues)...just a major heaviness that I didn't understand.

• Like 1
  • Author
I've always felt the "poor in spirit" depicts the travails and trials that a Christian goes through. Like a sadness for something. Many times I've travailed over a matter and have felt poor in spirit.

Yup yup yup, I can totally see that. Empathic struggles over horrible events that happen to others.