Work hard yet get screwed over

Thanks but maybe I wouldn't if someone actually answered my question, instead if insults I wouldn't have too. If you're such am expert why don't you answer?

Sugarkane,

I don't think the person you quoted was being sarcastic - they earnestly felt connected to you because they're dealing with a similar problem, and were looking for support/someone to share with - like you are here - and you just lashed out at them for no apparently good reason. Your other replies on this thread have become increasingly belligerent also.

I think you can thank your job for that.

It's a long shot that you can change the environment you work in, but I guarantee you that it will change you. And you may not even notice the change. You'll just wake up one day feeling eternally screwed over and angry at EVERYTHING.

That is exactly what happened to me when I was working in an environment where my work was not appreciated and I got overlooked. I became a resentful angry person, constantly thinking "This is unfair - why don't I get what I deserve?" That anger soured every other aspect of my life.

Eventually the stress of the work and the environment was too much for me. My work performance crumbled and I was fired. It was the best thing that could have happened to me.

Do not stay somewhere that makes you so angry. Even if it's not in your field, get another job. Take a FT job with lower pay and cut back on your living expenses if you have to. Do whatever is in your power to get out of that work situation. You can't get anything better if you're holding onto a job that is making you miserable.

I don't really understand what your question is/was either. Was it "Why do jacka**es get ahead?" Who the hell knows. Really, unless you're a jacka** or looking to become one it shouldn't matter. You can't do anything about them or the opportunities they get. All you can do is be yourself and find opportunities that work for you.

So get the hell out of that job and find something else. No one here can do anything for you about this situation. You either change it or stay there and be miserable.

Good luck.

Edited by Almond_Joy
  • Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Author

What I wanted was for Lucky One to answer my question. Yet her PM was full. And why put someone in charge who treated everyone like utter garbage? Not one person liked her. Then give the new people full time when they swear like sailors? And are extremely rude and screw over the loyal old people.

Sugarkane,

I don't think the person you quoted was being sarcastic - they earnestly felt connected to you because they're dealing with a similar problem, and were looking for support/someone to share with - like you are here - and you just lashed out at them for no apparently good reason. Your other replies on this thread have become increasingly belligerent also.

I think you can thank your job for that.

It's a long shot that you can change the environment you work in, but I guarantee you that it will change you. And you may not even notice the change. You'll just wake up one day feeling eternally screwed over and angry at EVERYTHING.

That is exactly what happened to me when I was working in an environment where my work was not appreciated and I got overlooked. I became a resentful angry person, constantly thinking "This is unfair - why don't I get what I deserve?" That anger soured every other aspect of my life.

Eventually the stress of the work and the environment was too much for me. My work performance crumbled and I was fired. It was the best thing that could have happened to me.

Do not stay somewhere that makes you so angry. Even if it's not in your field, get another job. Take a FT job with lower pay and cut back on your living expenses if you have to. Do whatever is in your power to get out of that work situation. You can't get anything better if you're holding onto a job that is making you miserable.

I don't really understand what your question is/was either. Was it "Why do jacka**es get ahead?" Who the hell knows. Really, unless you're a jacka** or looking to become one it shouldn't matter. You can't do anything about them or the opportunities they get. All you can do is be yourself and find opportunities that work for you.

So get the hell out of that job and find something else. No one here can do anything for you about this situation. You either change it or stay there and be miserable.

Good luck.

• 1 month later...

Have you tried sitting down with your boss calmly and professionally and asking him why you didn't get full time?

i.e.,

"I would like you to know that I am very interested in working full time. I saw that X, Y, and Z were all promoted and I was not. What can I do or change going forward to ensure that I am considered for full time?"

Do not get emotional; do not yell, scream, or get upset. Be professional.

• Like 1

I just want to say I have since had a meeting with my boss,he told me I am a brilliant worker,and asked me to be full time,which I have accepted..I was in total shock. Just need to have a medical and I will be official. And I have taken on extra tasks as a back up for my boss and team leader.

I know it's frustrating but hang in there.it might happen to you too :-) I waited 8 years. I have gone from someone who wasn't all that happy to happy in just a month.

Good luck,I hope you get as lucky as me

This type of thing might be society based, so I want to put that thought out there before I respond. I'm speaking from a particular point of view, based upon my experiences here where I live (not USA).

I'm in a position in a company where I make hire/fire and promotion calls. Though mostly the responses here seem to be slanted towards there being something wrong with the 'boss' in this instance (and maybe its true), my slant, as a low level 'boss' is that I will hire/fire/promote based upon merit.

Its not even a morale/ethical thing with me. My performance as a supervisor is judged by _my_ bosses on how the team performs. Eseentially how productive we are and how much money we make for the business. If I hire or promote people who are not up to the job, and if profits suffer as a result, I'm basically out on my ass.

In relation to your situation, its been my experience that new workers will put in 110% effort. They are new, and have something to prove. Where I live, labour laws allow a 3 month (sometimes 6) period, from beginning new employment, where I can fire new employees who are not performing without much legal recourse (its not quite as simple as this, but to keep it short) This also motivates new employees to really show their best.

Long time employees can sometimes become complacent, comfortable (if you prefer) and might not perform at the same level. This is usually a combination of insufficient supervisory/management leadership and the employees own personality.

My advice, for what its worth considering I think we live in different places, is that if you really are hunting a promotion then make sure that you put in the effort, every day, that results in improved or sustained company profits - in the end it really _is_ all about the money I'm afraid. Be seen, by your boss, to be doing a great job. Provided you are not a distracting force at work, how you get on with your peers is possibly less important than the relationship you develop with your boss. Make sure he/she knows you're a dedicated and profitable employee.

Unless you have a psychopath as a boss, he is going to be motivated by things that improve his own position. A great performing team, thats seen by management and ownership to be profitable is what he needs - his choices for hire/promotion will be strongly coloured by this need.

• Author

Mumbles- I have always worked hard, harder than the full timers who take advantage of sick leave. And I don't constantly talk about my private life, unlike they do. Please answer me that.

• Author

I've put it off because I've been trying to find what I should say. Despite being a hard worker my boss has never liked me. He is a jerk and always has a smart ass answer for everything. I don't like this quality in a person.

Have you tried sitting down with your boss calmly and professionally and asking him why you didn't get full time?

i.e.,

"I would like you to know that I am very interested in working full time. I saw that X, Y, and Z were all promoted and I was not. What can I do or change going forward to ensure that I am considered for full time?"

Do not get emotional; do not yell, scream, or get upset. Be professional.

Mumbles- I have always worked hard, harder than the full timers who take advantage of sick leave. And I don't constantly talk about my private life, unlike they do. Please answer me that.

Yes, of course, I can't answer because I don't really know the situation not having been there.

For sure, some bosses are just mental, and they will fail, along with their teams in due course. If this is the case, then, as others have proposed, its time for a job change.

My real reason for posting was not to try and defend your boss - I don't know them. I was trying to come from the angle that most bosses are motivated by money or their own promotion prospects ... or both, and generally choosing the best people for the job provides them this security and the performance they need.

However, something I didn't mention was that some of the worst bosses I have ever seen are part of the family who own a business, or related to them - weird things can happen in this situation because the 'boss', who is a family member, can't really be sacked, and they are quite often not performance oriented in the same way.

Let me come at it from another angle.

Why do you think the new employees have snagged the positions that you wanted yourself? From your boss's perspective, what do you think he/she is thinking? Whats motivating this decision that seems strange to you?

Note: in my responses I'm not having a go at you - sounds like an awful situation. Trying to be helpful. If we can nut out what motivates your boss then we can find a way to meet that need, and that will likely provide the benefits you are looking for (again, unless the boss is a crazy person, then all bets are off).

• 2 weeks later...
  • Author

Mumbles- The only reason I can think of is because these people are one big clique. This girl brought in her mother, mother in law and several friends and took over the whole place. I still get more work done than other full timers.

Mumbles- The only reason I can think of is because these people are one big clique. This girl brought in her mother, mother in law and several friends and took over the whole place. I still get more work done than other full timers.

Aha. This is a problem, and the worst workplaces I've seen are those with large numbers of people related to each other. Basically, if you're not in the family you're on the outer .... time for a job change I'm afraid. Nepotism is alive and well, and as you've seen, working harder or better just isn't going to get you over the line.

Businesses, particularly small ones, that allow this type of thing often fail, so I'd be looking at my options as soon as possible to get out and into a more 'sane' working environment.

• Author

The problem is the boss's reasons are flat out lies. His excuse to a co worker was complete lies.

It sounds to me like you're spending a lot of time focusing on how/why these people got the full time, and you didn't, rather than why you didn't get it. Ask your boss why you were overlooked rather than picking fault with your colleagues.

I know it's not fair when you feel like you're working as hard as you can, and someone else gets ahead of you for things, but unless you ask your boss what you can do for next time to improve your chances, and act on that advice, it's probably going to keep happening.

I've always been told that it is best to focus on yourself at work, and not what other people are doing/can get away with. Keep yourself right, and the rest will follow.

Of course, if you're really unhappy, and it's feasible for you to do so, find a new job or leave.

Good Luck :bunny:

• Author

Mumbles- The problem is all of these co workers are smokers and I'm not. I'd socialize during breaks with them but I hate The smell of cigarettes.

fortyninethousand322

Moral of the story: if you don't like your job, don't work so hard. I hated retail, so I did my best to look like I worked hard but I gave maybe 50%. On a good day.

Three months later you are still complaining, and still haven't talked to your boss about it. It's cool if you just want a place to vent your frustrations, but if you really do want to get a promotion at some point, I don't understand why you haven't sat down with your boss and had a professional conversation about it. If you are legitimately getting more work done than the others, you can point that out to your boss. You can ask your boss what it is you need to do to be considered for promotion. And don't worry so much about what your boss told someone else. Worry about what he/she tells you.

but if you really do want to get a promotion at some point, I don't understand why you haven't sat down with your boss and had a professional conversation about it.

Yep, you know, ultimately this is the answer. The only decent pay rises and promotions I ever got were during periods where I'd opened communications with the Boss, let him know what I wanted and what I thought I could do for the company to improve its bottom line. Go in with a plan and be calm. No good say "I'm worth more, pay me!", you have to be able to demonstrate _why_ you should get paid more.

• Author
Yep, you know, ultimately this is the answer. The only decent pay rises and promotions I ever got were during periods where I'd opened communications with the Boss, let him know what I wanted and what I thought I could do for the company to improve its bottom line. Go in with a plan and be calm. No good say "I'm worth more, pay me!", you have to be able to demonstrate _why_ you should get paid more.

Because he is away so I can't contact the boss. And as I've been saying over and over again his explainations are always complete lies as always.

• Author

I just don't understand why boss's want to get rid of the most hard working people that's why. I know it's not just my industry either. I have applied for coarses and I'm waiting for that. I hope the company eventually goes under from choosing only lazy people for full time.

Edited by Sugarkane