Do companies do interviews as a formality after they've found their person?

• Author
I have been involved in both sides of many interviews, they never (in my experience) continue to interview after the requisition is filled. They MAY continue to interview after finding a suitable candidate if the position is not officially filled by the offer->accept handshake yet.

The state does sometimes because they're required to.

No second interview, oh well. I've only applied to two specific positions in months anyway.

It is very common for employers to already have a specific candidate in mind to fill the available position once they post it for the world to see, or even before they post it. And that person doesn't necessarily have to be an internal/in-house hire - it often is an external hire via connections. Heck, the employer may have already made a final decision to hire the person prior to even interviewing him. That person is interviewed anyway as a formality and to help cover the employer's ass legally speaking. Once the position is posted publicly (if required by law), the employer may bring in a few folks for an interview to be safe (or to consider them for future opportunities), but those folks have zero chance of getting the current job. It's also common for the posted position to purposely have exaggerated, inflated job qualifications listed as an attempt to dissuade or cull applicants.

Well-connected people will almost always have the advantage over others when it comes to finding jobs. Many hiring managers prefer to hire people that they (or one of their trusted subordinates) know. How well a candidate "fits in" in terms of personality, etc. is very important.