Which Degree, and For Which Job?

• Author
Start by working as a cocktail waitress at a high end hotel. You might meet a rich man to marry and that will be the end of your worries.

No thanks. Besides, my partner, who I see a long term future with, is alread rich; he owns one house, and 50% of another....

He just has no cash in hand, seeing as he only owns assets!

Not that I am dating him for his houses....

And I am better than that, I am more suited to higher education; I am no genius, but I need that level of education in my life, in order to satisfy my own personal requirements.

I am NOT a social worker...yet. I am in my final year of my BSW program, though, set to graduate in the Spring. I was just thinking: if you decide to become a social worker and want to bartend part-time, you might want to look into this idea further, depending on where you live. If you are in a large urban area where you may never see clients, this might work, but if you are in a rural area and clients know that you tend bar, you may not be seen as a credible social worker, especially if you work with clients who have addictions issues. I live in a rural area, and my school of social work constantly emphasizes this point. It does not matter if you are in the bar working and not drinking, the fact alone that you work in a bar as a social worker may kill any credibility you might have. It may not, though: just something to think about.

As for salary, as I've mentioned, I'm not a social worker yet, but I think that depends on where you live as well. I live in rural Northern Canada, and some of the jobs pay ok. Some of the jobs I've seen posted start at $60,000 CAD per year, but they are usually in rural Aboriginal areas that are isolated. I worked this past summer at a child protective office, where the social workers each had about 100 children on their caseloads. They were paid even more, and in some cases, housing was free or supplemented, but work stress was high. As for salary, sometimes I wonder what I am doing as I know of people with trades who are making $100,000+ working in the mines. I will be making far less for a degree that took four times as long to earn than their trades certificates, but social work is something I am more interested in anyway, as I enjoy working with people.

I know all schools are not alike, so please don't think I am indicating that they are, and I can only speak for what I am experiencing in my own school. I read earlier that you are not into writing essays? In my class, which I know is not indicative of all social work programs, I write essay after essay after essay. I usually have at least one due a week, sometimes two (I had two due this past Friday, one due this Friday). Sometimes there are three due in a week. Lots of reading, group work, and presentations too. But no math!! I do not find my program "difficult" academically, but difficult in other ways. During my first internship, I was on the phone once trying to talk someone out of committing suicide. I've also literally chased a suicidal teenager around a school to talk with him. Sometimes, I wonder what the hell I am getting myself into, but then something happens and I realize that helping people is what makes me happy.

• Author

I do like essays.

I enjoy writing.

I was talking about the benifits of doing a more science based degree, and came up with the fact that I at least would get a break from writing so many essays!

It could easily have sounded like I had an aversion to essays, but that is not the case at all; I am adept at essay writing, but I am sure you can appreciate a week or two off writing essays! With the science based degrees with minimal math, such as exercise science, I would do less writing and more reading theory and working complex problems out.'

And the salary starts at about 50K here in AUS, but soon goes up if your serious about your job and can withstand the stress.

I was suicidle as a teen and had a horrible time, therefore helping troubled people has always been something that I have considered as a career.

And thanks for the tip on bar tending - I love waitressing too, so I better do that for extra cash.

Better still, I am fairly sure I will get into personal training again next year, and do that as a joint career.

My dream would be to be a social worker ANd a personal trainer after hours some nights a week.

Good luck! Yes, just keep in mind about the bartending...it doesn't guarantee that it would ruin your credibility, but it is just something to keep in mind. And yes, a break from essay-writing is awesome! Looking forward to the Christmas break!

• Author

I like writing essays enough to write a couple a week, give or take more or sometimes (hopefully) less! So as to give my hands a rest from typing haha.

Hmm, another poster said HR is a good paying career, that is a major in social sciences.