A Question for Super Fitness Freaks

So, one of my things I did to try and forget about my ex was I started working out a little (didn't work, btw). When I moved back home I was 205lbs, then I started running and am now down to about 185 on average (not as good as the time I went from 220 to 179, but I'll take it). I've stopped running because I can't seem to get past 180-185 margin for some reason and I'm low on cigarettes and I can't bring myself to do my running regimen without smoking loads of cigarettes.

But I have kept up the push-ups. Now here's what I do: when I started, I set a goal that every time before I had a cigarette I would do 15 reps. 15 turned to 20, 20 turned to 25, and now I'm on thirty. Now considering how much I smoke, I've been doing well upwards of 200 push-ups a day for the past month. But I noticed nothing was happening once I switched to 30. I remembered that you're supposed to give your muscles a rest. So I took the last two days off and started doing them again today, except when I was out.

Anyway, so the real question is, what's a good intensive push-up training regimen? I guess I could always look it up. Oh well, this at least wasted some time.

Push-ups... don't count, just do 'em until you cannot do them anymore, then dropto you knees and do 'em that way until you can't do anymore..

There are a lot of variations to target inner/outer or upper/lower chest in a push-up so use the varying hand-placements to get well rounded burn.

Again, though, stop counting, and do them until complete muscle failure.

Push-ups... don't count, just do 'em until you cannot do them anymore, then dropto you knees and do 'em that way until you can't do anymore..

There are a lot of variations to target inner/outer or upper/lower chest in a push-up so use the varying hand-placements to get well rounded burn.

Again, though, stop counting, and do them until complete muscle failure.

Don't do this. Read up on advice from Tony Gentilcore about push ups. A correct push up is quite hard to do and I rarely see people performing them correctly (gymnasts would be an exception). You get far more from doing them correctly than you'd think.

• Like 1
Don't do this. Read up on advice from Tony Gentilcore about push ups. A correct push up is quite hard to do and I rarely see people performing them correctly (gymnasts would be an exception). You get far more from doing them correctly than you'd think.

Yeah don't do push-ups, read. reading will boost your push-ups to the max. If you don't know the proper form while doing a push-up... well, I just don't know what to tell you.

I've spent more time in the front-lean-N-rest than anyone I know. Push-ups are my forte. hooooah.

Smiley, you and your apps.

How do you do your pushups OP? Most people don't do them well. Quality over quantity first of all. Do you look up, do them relatively slowly and get your chest touch the floor?

• Author

Well, it's kind of hard to explain since I can't see myself do them. But I usually try to straighten my arms parallel with my shoulders, maybe a little out. I now keep my feet more spread apart since that's how I've seen videos do it (use to have my ankles touching). I try to keep my back straight, but unfortunately I don't have the straightest back. When I go down, I usually try to touch my nose and chest to the floor then straight back up.

I do them as quickly as possible, I know I should be doing them slow, but when you do this many it gets too tedious.

Well, it's kind of hard to explain since I can't see myself do them. But I usually try to straighten my arms parallel with my shoulders, maybe a little out. I now keep my feet more spread apart since that's how I've seen videos do it (use to have my ankles touching). I try to keep my back straight, but unfortunately I don't have the straightest back. When I go down, I usually try to touch my nose and chest to the floor then straight back up.

I do them as quickly as possible, I know I should be doing them slow, but when you do this many it gets too tedious.

Looking ahead (make sure it's comfortable enough) forces you to do it with proper form. It's best not to have your nose touching the ground as it means your head leads instead of your chest (ie you can have your head lolling between your shoulder blades like a lot of people do). If your chest touches he ground though that's excellent.

You need to push all the way up until your arms are straight and you feel you are pushing through your shoulder blades. A bit like this:

Obviously not suggesting you do it to the seals' level :) but they tend to demonstrate good form.

Once you do them properly, especially slower, you probably won't be able to do that many and it won't be so tedious :)

Could've just said " keep your head up. the moment you don't you close your air ways..

also if you look left or right, your will exercise different muscles.

again not complicated enough to write a paragraph.

Love how long this thread has gone without stating the obvious... if you want to see your physical performance improve, try laying off the cigarettes. Great way to stress your heart to the max by the way, doing physical activity right before or after smoking.

• Like 1
Love how long this thread has gone without stating the obvious... if you want to see your physical performance improve, try laying off the cigarettes. Great way to stress your heart to the max by the way, doing physical activity right before or after smoking.

LMAO but that's how he counts his push-ups!

Yeah don't do push-ups, read. reading will boost your push-ups to the max. If you don't know the proper form while doing a push-up... well, I just don't know what to tell you.

I've spent more time in the front-lean-N-rest than anyone I know. Push-ups are my forte. hooooah.

Smiley, you and your apps.

Chances are he's not doing them correctly. Almost no one does. Given the fact that a correct push up builds far more muscle than a bad one, it's worth the 2 minute learning curve.

Don't you think?