What got you to ACTUALLY START diet & exercise

Unfortunately, it's not enough to get a date for my company's Christmas Party or NYE this year, but I have high hopes about next year! :)

Per your other thread, you know my opinion. :)

Your weight has less to do with your lack of a date than your unwillingness to ask someone. Simply ask someone who is a woman who is a friend to accompany you to the company party because you just need a companion. "This is not a formal date or a come-one for more than simply a fun evening."

But I should really post that on your other thread and will...so please don't respond here or we will derail the thread and get it closed.

As for your weight loss and exercise regiment, I am more than impressed at your discipline. Good job and keep it up!

Seeing what I looked like in old and current (then) photographs

Didn't like the way I felt physically

Family history with heart disease and other issues

Envy of other women looking like the way I USED to look

• Like 1

As for your weight loss and exercise regiment, I am more than impressed at your discipline. Good job and keep it up!

Oh, I am. I feel like I'm missing out on something if I think I won't be able to get my long walk/hike in for the week. I had a blister after my Friday walk due to poor fitting shoes (left the Keens at home) and was all worried Saturday that I wouldn't be able to make my hike Sunday. But, wire cutters, neosporin, and moleskin helped me make the hike! :)

I use to hate the gym, but getting back into it now i actually enjoy being there, especially doing weights, cardio not so much. Plus I find going to the gym makes me want to eat better, maybe because I see how hard it is to work off the calories.

The weird thing is, so far my best luck dropping weight has been increasing exercise and not worrying about diet that much. I haven't had the willpower to cut out pop yet and still loosing. Plus most days I still have one meal that i'm eating poorly.

But then again the number on the scale isn't important to me, it's when i'm perfectly happy with how I look, I know according to most charts I will still be overweight. Because i'm also working on regaining a lot of strength I lost, I can still tell i'm loosing though because I keep going down in belt holes :)

• Like 1
I wanted to continue looking good as I got older. I like food and love to cook, so exercising burns a few extra calories but you still cannot eat like a pig. There is a saying in fitness circles: "You can't outrun a doughnut."

I eat like a shameless woman (keeping in character as my 25 year-old hot colleague has just walked past my desk ;)) and the key is intensity. If you ever took up running, it would be worth it, I promise. I know you find running boring in general but interval training is really good for keeping you trim and it's much more interesting than just steady jog on the treadmill.

After eating fast food for the last 5 years, My belly started to bloat up. I would work out every now and then but was not very serious about maintaining it.

After my breakup, I had to focus on myself and be happy, so started exercising daily. My belly has already shrunk and I am already looking better. Its only been 3 weeks and this is just the beginning.

I use to hate the gym, but getting back into it now i actually enjoy being there, especially doing weights, cardio not so much. Plus I find going to the gym makes me want to eat better, maybe because I see how hard it is to work off the calories.

The weird thing is, so far my best luck dropping weight has been increasing exercise and not worrying about diet that much. I haven't had the willpower to cut out pop yet and still loosing. Plus most days I still have one meal that i'm eating poorly.

But then again the number on the scale isn't important to me, it's when i'm perfectly happy with how I look, I know according to most charts I will still be overweight. Because i'm also working on regaining a lot of strength I lost, I can still tell i'm loosing though because I keep going down in belt holes :)

I definitely agree with this! It's actually easier to lose weight by eating less and diet, versus no change in diet and just exercising. Because let's say you have a 700 calorie burger...it would take you a few hours at the gym to burn that off versus choosing something lighter to eat. And let's say you just burned 200-300 calories in 45minutes-1hour...there goes your candy bar or protein bar....but that's about it. Don't get me wrong, I think exercise is very important...because let's face it, those with active lifestyles versus sedentary lifestyles tend to live longer and it's great to be able to be "fit" and not the only one huffing and puffing on a hike or bike ride. But to lose even 1lb, you have to cut back or work off 3500 calories...and it's much easier to make alternative food choices then spending 2-3 hours a day at the gym.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
ooglesnboogles

I decided to lose weight after my doctor made fun of me... no, seriously. I went for a visit for something else and at the end he mentioned that less sugar in my diet would help fix the problem, then pointed at my belly and said something along the lines of "and less sugar will also help with that". I was a little peeved by that, but it was motivation enough for me to download a calorie counter right afterwards.

Since I was already eating very large portions, it was fairly easy to start off. I started slowing down my meals, swallowing before picking up the next bite, and ordering stuff small instead of large with extras. I found some exercises that I enjoyed and could do several days a week (in the beginning it was 6-7). Watching calories made me want to get under the goals the app was setting for me, so I started eating less fast food. I actually started eating a lot of Subway, since it was accessible and filling, plus their advertising works wonders =P In 4 or 5 months after that doctor's visit, I dropped about 35 pounds without really doing all that much.

Since then, I've gotten to a fairly stable place, but I'm trying to drop another 12 pounds or so to lose the gut. Seems like I've had a gut since a little while after I passed P.E. in high school. When I stand up straight, it's not so bad (I'm tall and the weight spreads out a little nicer over my body) but I still don't look good in the mirror.

Nice to know places like this exist =D

I actually started eating a lot of Subway, since it was accessible and filling

I did the same thing. I'll get a 6" double meat turkey and ham on whole wheat and have them dig out a lot of the extra bread. It pretty much turns into a hollow shell with just a thin sliver of bread around it.

I also do a lot of Chick Fil A. Their 12 piece grilled nugget entree is incredibly low in calories and high in protein.

I'm now down into the 200s for the first time in years and have also started with a personal trainer to help firm up my upper body. Only 80lbs to go until my primary goal, 110 to what would make me ecstatic. :)

• Like 2

Good job, IT Geek! :bunny:

One pound at a time...

Again, my total motivation was health. As I lost, it became vanity. Now I am at one or two pounds above goal (which is basically for my own number and not looks...as it won't change my looks or health anymore). Maintaining this weight is all about pride.

Starting last December but only in earnest in mid January, I have lost 38#. My blood pressure dropped from consistently 138 or 139 over about 80 to (this past weekend) 110 over 64.

I now have the struggle of watching my wife lose weight. She asked me why she cannot get motivated by her health (as her BP is 150ish over 90s). I said, "I don't know...I think it is a guy thing." :D

For those who read this and are losing weight...never, never give up. Keep an eye on the numbers and write them down. Weigh yourself as often or as little as you like, but don't be discouraged. I weight myself twice a day and this works for me. In the morning when I get up, I weight myself. And when I go to bed, I weigh myself. I keep a log. After a year, I know my "pattern." The weekend's weight is higher, and my lowest day is Thursday. I lose a pound overnight and may keep it off until evening. I have learned not to be discouraged if it doesn't "stick," because I know that I will get there one way or another.

A year ago, I would have been shocked at my weight today. Very happy, yes, but very surprised. This is the lowest I have been in about 20 years, and I mean to stay here. After investing in all new clothes, I cannot afford to gain weight! :laugh:

NOW to those losing weight...you never know who you will motivate by your habits.

Like I said, I started in earnest in January. It was because I watched a colleague eat his orange daily for break. And even on Fridays when we all had donuts, he would eat his orange. He lost 18#s by that January. So, I thought, I can do that. And I gave up donuts and cookies for breaks. I ate a protein bar instead. Little by little I cut back on food. I began drinking meal replacement shakes. But I allowed myself a Friday night snack and went easy on myself over the weekend. I stuck to that schedule except on trips.

And it was successful for me.

Without the colleague who ate his oranges, I don't know that I would have felt that extra push I needed. Last I know, HE also lost 40#.

• Like 1
ooglesnboogles
I did the same thing. I'll get a 6" double meat turkey and ham on whole wheat and have them dig out a lot of the extra bread. It pretty much turns into a hollow shell with just a thin sliver of bread around it.

I also do a lot of Chick Fil A. Their 12 piece grilled nugget entree is incredibly low in calories and high in protein.

I'm now down into the 200s for the first time in years and have also started with a personal trainer to help firm up my upper body. Only 80lbs to go until my primary goal, 110 to what would make me ecstatic. :)

Congrats on the weight loss!

I go for the Oven Roasted Chicken. I do a 6" with double meat, since single meat isn't enough for me (I'm 6'4"+ and over 200lbs). That combo turns out to be around 380 calories. Even with a bag of Lays it's not a bad deal. When they had the oven baked chicken, I'd do one piece of baked and one roasted. Ah! It was delicious! And still relatively healthy.

I started just above 260. I had been eating a ton of junk food for lunch and dinner for a whole year and it just cranked up my already-unhealthy weight. With the Subway/normal-size-portions diet, I got down to 220 without exercising much. Then I used exercise to drop another 10-15. Went back up to 220 when I stopped watching my calories but I've been diligent and starting each day with a few pushups, squats, lunges, and situps seems to be helping. It's not much, but it gets the juices going and I feel a lot stronger and healthier. Sucks to be a really big guy (tall with broad shoulders) and not be able to lift things or do pushups. I'm changing that!

Also, I know a lot of people will bash calorie counting, but I've noticed that once I set a comfortable bar for my net (I think it's around 1800) and met that bar, I had to find other ways to cut stuff out. So now I'm not only watching calories but sugar and sodium as well. Sodiums a tough one for me, but my sugar intake has dropped, and I've got another 20 bucks a month thanks to cutting out soda =D

JamesM, I know how ya feel on that one. I had a friend who just ate fruit for lunch. I was looking to drop a few hundred more calories a day so I got some fruit and joined him. Now my lunches consist of some apples, oranges, or carrots, and I'm full until dinner. Much better.

I've been doing the weight watches points plus plan and have an app on my phone that I track everything with. It will even scan bar codes and pull the points value per serving for 95% of the things I get at the store. It even has an online database that has restaurants in it.

My breakfast has also been replaced by a green smoothie. I nurse it from about 8am-10am and that keeps me satisfied until 2ish.

The past few months I've been hiking/walking 15-20 miles a week, but I have a feeling with the temperatures going down that is going to decrease somewhat. I'll have to learn to like being on a treadmill. UGH. I so love being outdoors versus in a gym.

• Like 1

Awesome to see others doing well. I hope I keep at it, I never have before. Feels good to be in better shape though, a brisk 4 mile walk barely breaks a sweat now. Feels good to that tons of my clothes are too big, i've lost about 2" in my waist in the past few months.

The thing I find is, i'm still not eating perfect, I still enjoy pop a bit and eating out but i'm just cutting it down. I find if I still treat myself a bit and slowly keep eating better i'm more likely to keep at it. I don't count calories that close everyday just in general.

I just can't wait until my shoulder is better so I can really start weight training and working full time again is even more exercise. Being home all day with nothing to do, it's tough not to eat.

ScreamingTrees

I was never overweight, I just never took the healthy metabolism that I had for granted. I figure that even for those who have no pre-disposition to gaining weight must be doing some sort of gradual damage to their body and health over time when they have a **** diet, with the excuse that "it doesn't matter, I never gain weight!"

So I eat the foods that most people around me find yucky, and I actually prefer them to candy nowadays.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Mine was a visit to the doctor. My cholesteral was back up to 220. I had also gained 7 pounds since last June. I download a calorie counting app. I also hit the YMCA. Every morning I have a fruit smoothie with Greek yogurt and wheat germ. So far I've lost 16 pounds since October.

• Like 1

I went to three different GNCs and couldn't find the protein I was looking for. But I found it at Amazon and it should be here by Thursday!

Yay! :bunny:

I never thought of working out until 2009 when I got dumped for a bodybuilder. That started it. Then the next year I saw a friend of mine after a few years and he looked completely different. Muscled up. When I was able to compare his old and new pictures, I decided to talk to him about it, and he gave me all the info I needed. I was inspired when I saw that someone I knew was able to change himself drastically, so then I knew it could be reasonably be done.

Once I started, went through the initial pain and started seeing results, I got hooked and had to do more. Its worked out great. I was always skinny-fat. I had some chubb on my belly and I have a small frame, soI had to build up for the most part as opposed to losing weight. Its been great!

• Like 2

Its crazy, I had gotten exercise into my regime and was training every day, then I was ill (ear infections, impetigo) for 3 weeks so I couldn't go and the withdrawal symptoms I had were awful. I didn't want to make my illnesses worse so I didn't do anything, as soon as I was healthy enough to start training, I felt amazing for it, and I can't get enough!

I spent this week training lightly, so tomorrow is when I'm going to proper start my proper training. Got all my supplements (recovery shake, protein shake and lean weight loss pills) so I'm ready :). I'm just researching for diets atm because I'm in the late teens/early 20's phase of "getting ripped," so I need to lose about 4-5kg for motorsport but still have muscle as weight is vital for motorsport.

As soon as you get it into your system you can't stop! My metabolism's gone through the roof!

ooglesnboogles

Losing weight is often a lot easier than people make it out to be. When I was gaining weight, losing it didn't seem appealing because I had to "stop eating the junk food and start working out all the time!" My reaction was always "I like junk food and I'm tired so screw that!" I think a really big part is phrasing it in a way that sounds good to you and sounds doable.

For me, it was keeping junk food but greatly downsizing the portions. I decided I wouldn't give up soda (though I have recently in an effort to drop my carbs/sugar), I decided I would allow myself one day a week where I could chow down like I used to. That's how it started. Then, just to see if I could, I started limited soda. I would only eat a big meal once every two weeks. Now, if I eat a big meal (tons of spaghetti, pizza buffet, etc) I make sure I cut something else down in that week. It levels the intake a bit, but it also makes me feel like I can still do what I want.

• Like 1

For me, it was keeping junk food but greatly downsizing the portions. I decided I wouldn't give up soda (though I have recently in an effort to drop my carbs/sugar), I decided I would allow myself one day a week where I could chow down like I used to. That's how it started. Then, just to see if I could, I started limited soda. I would only eat a big meal once every two weeks. Now, if I eat a big meal (tons of spaghetti, pizza buffet, etc) I make sure I cut something else down in that week. It levels the intake a bit, but it also makes me feel like I can still do what I want.

I found out I eat alot healthier if I can grab the food fast while Im hungry. If I have to cook it, I'd rather go out and buy ready food, which was usually junk. But one day a week I can cook for the week, and then I was good to go. Alot of instant food as well, like fresh fruits and oatmeal. I also found out I was able to reduce my taste for junk food if I can cook it to taste better for me. I also lost the taste for junk food when I realized how much more energy the good food gives me. Junk food would instantly make me feel sluggish and sleepy.

• Like 1
ooglesnboogles

As Nick Swisher says, "put good in, get good out."

I have trouble cooking anything because I don't like to stand in front of a stove for 20 minutes then spend 5 minutes eating. I tolerate it for homemade tacos =P

• Like 1
Losing weight is often a lot easier than people make it out to be.

It is....

....provided.....

1. You know HOW to do it.

2. You WANT to do it.

3. You choose a plant that fits your lifestyle.

4. You stick to it.

5. You don't relapse.

Since there are many factors that are needed, the "easy" part becomes much harder.

Thankfully, over the past year, I was able to meet all those factors and have now lost over 40#. I weigh what I weighed when I was married over 20 years ago for the first time since our first year of marriage.

I love it too much to relapse...but I am not stupid enough to believe that I can't relapse. Never have I lost this much with a plan that fit my lifestyle as this one does, but even now I am afraid that bit by bit I may find myself overweight again.

Looking at the BMI chart, I have determined that I need to lose five more pounds to sit right in the middle of the "normal" category for my height. Never have I wanted to be normal more than I do here. :D

And as I said before, my motivation was simply my health. I looked at my records from ten years ago and saw that since then, my cholesterol and BP had gone up. My blood sugar level also went up. Now I am motivated by the many new clothes I got because those 34 inch waist pants were huge, and the 32 inch pants make me look so much better.

If I could say something to anyone who is young and either normal weight or overweight, then it would be...

get a hold of your weight NOW before it controls you!

• Like 1
What pushed you over the edge to actually DO SOMETHING about being fat and unfit?

The desire to have sex with hot young women.

Ok, I've been doing xfit for a year now and about 10% to my target weight. I'ts been a slow process because I like to drink, but it's important to me to look and feel good.

My GF is short (5'1) and fat. I have urged her to work out with me for a couple years, but she just isn't into it. She will work out 3 days a week on one week and skip 2 weeks. She isn't disciplined with her diet, even though I cook lean meals for her every day. I'm not attracted to her and I'm now at the realization she will never be thin or athletic and to me, it's not sexy.

She know how I feel although I've never said it. I was hoping my getting fit would inspire her, but she only thinks I'm trying to outdo her. We have other relationship issues but the attraction/ fat issue seems to be on my mind all the time.

So, am I a shallow creep. Am I asking too much of her. My gut says I need to find someone who cares about there fitness/ looks as much as I do. I like the idea of my partner being motivated by similar goals.