Precious Memories in Marriages and LTR's :)

• Author
BetheButterfly
My wife is great in a crisis. I really appreciate this as in my previous marriage I always had to be the calm, sensible one while everyone went to pieces around me, which got quite stressful. My wife on the other hand calmly takes control, reasons things out and gives everyone something useful to do and it settles the situation instantly.

A few years back we were trapped on a peninsula that had been cut off by a bush fire. She drove the car down to the beach and suggested we take a swim while we waited for the firefighters to secure a safe passage through the flames. We cuddled in the water and watched terrified wildlife seek sanctuary on the shore mere metres from us, deafened by the roar of the blaze. We watched the helicopters scooping up water to dump on the flames, and when the noise quietened and the colour of the smoke changed she suggested we drive back to the cordon to see if we could get through. They were just opening the road, the tar was still boiling in places, but we got through safely and collapsed into a heap on the bed when we got back and made love for ages. Dying in each others' arms is all very romantic, but living in each others' arms so much more attractive!

I am so glad y'all were together when that fire happened. It is a striking memory and I'm grateful y'all were safe and didn't get hurt!!!

My husband and I have not (yet) shared such a dangerous experience, but one of my favorite experiences is making love during a violent storm in the safety of our house and then resting in each others' arms, holding each other tight while watching the lightning and listening to the thunder. :love:

I can say that I have many precious memories after 22 years together. Every child that was born brought new memories. As the children grow and graduate, we share more memories. And as we look back we can see how our trips created memories.

There are way too many to tell, and they would bore most everyone who read the thread....except me. :D

Okay, a couple...

First, sex related. Since you mentioned making love on the beach, then I remember the time we came home from going out and the chemistry was thick between us. And the next thing I know we are under the apple tree in our back yard having a grand old time. I truly miss that spontaneity from those early days. Now if we did it, we would be interrupted by some kid if we could even get secretly away. :laugh: Sadly, the apple tree is gone...as is that passionate sex life.

Second, so many fond memories have been created and still are created because of a stressful situation or "disaster." Most of these are because we worked together to fix the problem and it brought us closer.

One Christmas I remember my wife and I driving to her folks for the holidays. It was a stressful snowy drive with icy roads, and we had to stop early. We got a motel and then took a walk down town. The town was white with snow and huge snowflakes were falling. Everything looked so fresh and beautiful. There was music playing, and people were all bustling around doing their shopping. Christmas lights were decorating the trees, and we felt like we had walked on to a Christmas movie set, except this one was real.

As we walked, our stress melted away, and I can still see the happiness in her eyes as we walked. I knew that this was a moment I would cherish forever even then already. As I looked at her, I remember the music playing, and still to this day when I hear it, I remember her eyes full of happiness and laughter. Waltz Of The Flowers - YouTube We were practically dancing as we walked and ran just enjoying the moment.

It is hard to describe those feelings and the love I had for her, which I still have. We were walking and laughing and in our own world. For those minutes all of life's problems disappeared, and it was as if we knew everything was gong to be okay. Tomorrow would be another day, but tonight was ours to enjoy.

Almost twenty years ago and the image is as fresh as the day it happened. :love:

Thanks for letting me wet my eyes with happiness this morning as I shared that moment..and am now remembering other times we have had. I could go on, but so many of them are only special to us and would bring a "Meh" from most everyone else. :laugh:

Edited by JamesM
  • Like 4
  • Author
BetheButterfly
I can say that I have many precious memories after 22 years together. Every child that was born brought new memories. As the children grow and graduate, we share more memories. And as we look back we can see how our trips created memories.

There are way too many to tell, and they would bore most everyone who read the thread....except me. :D

Okay, a couple...

First, sex related. Since you mentioned making love on the beach, then I remember the time we came home from going out and the chemistry was thick between us. And the next thing I know we are under the apple tree in our back yard having a grand old time. I truly miss that spontaneity from those early days. Now if we did it, we would be interrupted by some kid if we could even get secretly away. :laugh: Sadly, the apple tree is gone...as is that passionate sex life.

Second, so many fond memories have been created and still are created because of a stressful situation or "disaster." Most of these are because we worked together to fix the problem and it brought us closer.

One Christmas I remember my wife and I driving to her folks for the holidays. It was a stressful snowy drive with icy roads, and we had to stop early. We got a motel and then took a walk down town. The town was white with snow and huge snowflakes were falling. Everything looked so fresh and beautiful. There was music playing, and people were all bustling around doing their shopping. Christmas lights were decorating the trees, and we felt like we had walked on to a Christmas movie set, except this one was real.

As we walked, our stress melted away, and I can still see the happiness in her eyes as we walked. I knew that this was a moment I would cherish forever even then already. As I looked at her, I remember the music playing, and still to this day when I hear it, I remember her eyes full of happiness and laughter. Waltz Of The Flowers - YouTube We were practically dancing as we walked and ran just enjoying the moment.

It is hard to describe those feelings and the love I had for her, which I still have. We were walking and laughing and in our own world. For those minutes all of life's problems disappeared, and it was as if we knew everything was gong to be okay. Tomorrow would be another day, but tonight was ours to enjoy.

Almost twenty years ago and the image is as fresh as the day it happened. :love:

Thanks for letting me wet my eyes with happiness this morning as I shared that moment..and am now remembering other times we have had. I could go on, but so many of them are only special to us and would bring a "Meh" from most everyone else. :laugh:

Thanks JamesM for sharing those beautiful memories!!! They are not boring at all; they are precious, like sparkly jewels that fascinate the eyes! :bunny:

• Like 1

Memories.

First date - when he held my hand and it felt perfect. He even got a kiss.

Holiday memories - chatting and having a laugh late into the night/early morning.

Driving memories - Hubby always insists of driving and takes real pride in getting us to places safetly... even though I would say that I am a better driver than him. We have loads of memories of gentle touches and comments on new landscapes on various journeys.

We have a large collection of memories about the kids and things they have got up to/achieved which is added to as they grow. From school plays, dodgy things they have tried to get away with, to graduations. They love hearing our re-tellings - and there are some stories which are now classic cornerstones of their very individual temperaments. The stories are truly HILARIOUS! :)

Yes, I would do it all again. Even with his blonde bitch ex wife trying to mess things up for years and years without success.

Take care,

Eve x

• Like 2
  • 10 months later...
  • Author
BetheButterfly

Hello Loveshack!

Haven't been here for awhile, but just wanted to give an update.

My husband and I have been married for 2 years now!!! We just celebrated our anniversary :bunny::bunny::bunny: and are so grateful to God for bringing us together as one!!! :love:

I can't imagine life without mi Amor (my nickname for him). I know he can't imagine life without me, su vida. (his nickname for me.) We are a team, which is such a blessing.

One of the thousands of attributes that I appreciate about my husband is his willingness to always have a strong and healthy communication line/connection with me. Whenever I have been upset, he never storms away. He never insults me. He never treats me with contempt. Instead, he waits to talk with me, then holds my hand and looks in my eyes as we talk. This is a huge blessing to me and has done much to merge our hearts into one!!! :love:

We are not perfect, yet we are enjoying life together and learning about each other! Life is a journey, and I am so grateful for the precious moments with my Love!!! I pray that our marriage will last the test of time, and that our love continues to grow as we nurture it and protect it from harm.

As for romance and physical traits, my husband is the following:

"10 My beloved is radiant and ruddy,

outstanding among ten thousand.

11 His head is purest gold;

his hair is wavy

and black as a raven.

12 His eyes are like doves

by the water streams,

washed in milk,

mounted like jewels.

13 His cheeks are like beds of spice

yielding perfume.

His lips are like lilies

dripping with myrrh.

14 His arms are rods of gold

set with topaz.

His body is like polished ivory

decorated with lapis lazuli.

15 His legs are pillars of marble

set on bases of pure gold.

His appearance is like Lebanon,

choice as its cedars.

16 His mouth is sweetness itself;

he is altogether lovely.

This is my beloved, this is my friend,

daughters of Jerusalem."

-http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Song%20of%20Songs+5&version=NIV

I am blessed and so thankful for his love. :love:

• Like 2
. . . My husband and I have been married for 2 years now!!! We just celebrated our anniversary :bunny::bunny::bunny: . . .
Congratulations on the milestone! I hope you will see that date as a milestone on your journey to forever and always, and never a millstone grinding away at you.

. . . are so grateful to God for bringing us together as one!!! :love: . . .
Wife and I just finished off the bottle of wine we bought to celebrate our anniversary, about 3 weeks ago. We marked . . . well, more than two years. (If you go by the social anachronism of marking anniversaries by materials like paper, cloth, leather, wood, . . . silver, . . . gold, I think we just had our "Jack Benny" anniversary.)

The calculus of modulo-7 arithmetic on a 365-day year plus leap years, placed this anniversary date on the same day of the week as our original wedding. On our anniversary day we were never in a location suitable to face each other and sing "Doxology" (Praise God from whom all blessings flow . . . ) as we did at the conclusion of our wedding service, but I thought about it as the corresponding hour of the day slipped by. She has most definitely been His blessing to me!! (Actually, we spent most of the day and all evening delivering give-away furniture to foreign university students, newly arrived in the US for anywhere from one to 6 years of study . . . with nothing more than what can fit into two suitcases.)

Also on the topic of "bringing us together", part of our celebration this year included watching the movie "Somewhere In Time". It's a 1980-ish film with Jane Seymour and Christopher Reeve, and a rather tenacious cult following. (See, for example, http://www.grandhotel.com/specials/packages/all/somewhere-in-time-weekend ). We've seen the movie about half a dozen times but this time after watching it we spent a little time kicking around the questions of whether you can be in love with somebody you've never met; and whether there really are "soul mate" couples, destined for each other through all time and space.

You probably know how we stand on the first question, but we're still not sure about the second.

Congratulations again!! :love:

Favorite Memories:

• Our very first kiss.
  • Our first real date. He treated me like a princess.
  • Seeing my husband's blue eyes fill up with tears on our wedding day.
  • My husband standing up to my critical mother.
  • Watching my husband have a dance contest with our niece.
  • My husband telling me how proud he was when I went back to college and finished with flying colors.
  • Feeling my husband's hand slip into mine when I was in pain after surgery. The support made me feel very loved.

Memories to come:

• Our vow renewal which will be the wedding we never had.
  • Making it to our tenth wedding anniversary and going to Paris.
  • Watching our nieces grow up.

can't contribute any "precious memories" because it's just been a great adventure overall, you know?

but I will say that there are things that continue to thrill me after almost 25 years of knowing each other: How he holds my hand ... even in public. That he kisses me … even when he's pissed off. How he makes me laugh because he's willing to be silly. And that he trusts me. I've seen other couples around us and think to myself, girl, you have got it made, being matched with someone who so obviously gets you, and wants this with you even after all this time.

I guess that's what I find precious about my guy.

besides his nice butt :laugh::laugh::laugh:

• Like 2

We were having dinner with new friends recently, and the "how did you meet?" Discussion came up (it always does - we're different nationalities) and of course, that opened the door to many happy memories. How excited we'd be to see each other again (we were LDR in the beginning) and how precious every moment was, knowing there would be a goodbye on the way. The big moments - deciding to be together, telling his family and mine, moving in together, getting M, and the milestones since (kids leaving home, graduating, getting on with their careers, etc; big moments in our own careers; family milestones, deaths, births...) and with each anniversary being more and more certain we made the right choices. Looking up at the stars after seeing friends off the other night we held each other close, knowing we were exactly where we wanted to be.