If someone is trying to get you a job shouldn't communicate with you??

• Author

The more I think about I think that they saw my resume online because there is no way someone can pass your resume along and not tell you.

Plus when the guy called all said was I received your resume, he never said from a certain person

Going by your other thread, you've been unemployed nine months. Why haven't you been applying for jobs for over a month? It sounds to me you are relying heavily on UC. It sounds to me you really don't want to work. Complaining about your cousin assisting you in getting a job and then making a big deal about when you start the job? Sure, it would have been nice if they let you know, but hey! You got a job prospect! That's what's important! This is really a poor attitude.

Should i bring up the car issue at the interview

I also do not have my own car. My husband and I share one car. Unless you are required to use the vehicle at the job, I never bring it up and if asked I say I carpool or leave very early to ensure public transit will get me to work on time with no issues in the past whatsoever. You sure have a lot of excuses why you cannot accept the job.

• Author
Going by your other thread, you've been unemployed nine months. Why haven't you been applying for jobs for over a month? It sounds to me you are relying heavily on UC. It sounds to me you really don't want to work. Complaining about your cousin assisting you in getting a job and then making a big deal about when you start the job? Sure, it would have been nice if they let you know, but hey! You got a job prospect! That's what's important! This is really a poor attitude.

Because there is NOTHING to apply to. Either it's a HIGH LEVEL job or a LOW LEVEL job and not much MID-LEVEL which is the problem. High level I;m not qualified for and low level won't pay the bills and keep me in m y apartment.

So that';s why I haven't been applying because it's nothing to apply to

Because there is NOTHING to apply to. Either it's a HIGH LEVEL job or a LOW LEVEL job and not much MID-LEVEL which is the problem. High level I;m not qualified for and low level won't pay the bills and keep me in m y apartment.

So that';s why I haven't been applying because it's nothing to apply to

My husband has an associates degree and just accepted a minimum wage job, part time, a month ago to make ends meet. Yes, it sucks and it was a big blow, because he needs experience in his field and needs better pay to make ends meet in this expensive area. But it's income while looking for other opportunities, even if it doesn't do much more than pay half the rent. UC won't last forever. A job, no matter what the pay is better than nothing. My brother has a bachelors degree and making $1 more than minimum wage, part time. You do what you have to to survive. If you've already been on UC for 9 months, even with extensions, it won't last much longer. I was on it for about a year before I got my final extension.

Edited by pink_sugar
  • Like 2
  • Author
My husband has an associates degree and just accepted a minimum wage job, part time, a month ago to make ends meet. Yes, it sucks and it was a big blow, because he needs experience in his field and needs better pay to make ends meet in this expensive area. But it's income while looking for other opportunities, even if it doesn't do much more than pay half the rent. UC won't last forever. A job, no matter what the pay is better than nothing. My brother has a bachelors degree and making $1 more than minimum wage, part time. You do what you have to to survive. If you've already been on UC for 9 months, even with extensions, it won't last much longer. I was on it for about a year before I got my final extension.

This employment agency called me yesterday for $11.00 an hour job for a position 10 mins away from home which averages out to about the same as what I;m getting on UC. I don't want to jump off UC to make the same thing at a job because it would defeat the purpose of getting off UC. I would like to atleast start at $13 which would cover transportation back and forth to the job and lunch money.

So I did consider it since it seems to be no other leads right now but the lady has not called back yet. I;m only thinking about doing it because it's 10 mins away. But I have a interview next week and will call the agency back the day after my interview which is next thursday

If the lady calls back before that time I will tell her I;m free to come in and talk to her next thurs or fri since I will be using that job as a LAST OPTION

I definitely don't want to go and interview for that job before the interview i have next week.

• Author
Why not? 11 weeks to go before your UE is gone and you're still shooting yourself in the foot by turning down opportunities. Your interview next week is an INTERVIEW not a JOB OFFER. By next Thursday the current INTERVIEW opportunity may well have gone and you'll be down to 10 weeks before UE finishes.

How old are you? Man, you're something else.

Because the $11 an hour job is a temp job, the interview I have on Wednesday is not a temp job and more than $11.00 an hour.

So why would I interview for that first instead of going for something more permanent?

• Author
Because there is no guarantee that the interview next Thursday will lead to a job offer or even a second interview. Even the interview for the temp job may not lead to that temp position. I'd think by now you'd be hustling to go to ANY interview instead of letting things slip through your fingers but you don't seem to be thinking anywhere near as logically as anyone I know. Seriously, how old are you? I'm guessing you must be over 20 if you've been out of work for 9 months already.

Well I called the lady this morning and left a message for her to call me after she emailed me saying she has a opening. So I'm not calling back at all because I already sent a email and left a voicemail. I will call back one last time next week.

But like I said I'm not that eager to jump at $11.00 an hour because it maybe the same or slightly lower than UC.

So go to both interviews. I doubt the first place will have you start on the spot. These days, most places take a few days or even a few weeks to interview other applicants before making a decision. Go to both, it will increase your chances of getting a job. And even if the temp job is only temp, you can get back on unemployment after...and you will be eligible for a new claim, so you won't have to worry about benefits running out.

• Author
Why wouldn't you call back tomorrow if she doesn't call you back today? I don't get it. It's an interview for a TEMP job not a F/T job. You're not stuck with it and (I don't understand why you don't get this) you're only 11 weeks away from your UE ending period. Next week it'll be 10 weeks. Man, if you applied to my business with the sort of attitude you're showing here you wouldn't stand a chance of a job with my crew. What's up with that?

Why can't you answer the question of how old you are? You know if you're a really wet behind the ears youngster you might have a bit of an excuse but can learn something but what's with all these dumb excuses? Don't you have family or friends who can help you get on a better path? Thought about getting a mentor or going for some sort of employment counseling? Sounds like you're starting off on the wrong foot here and need some help in getting your priorities sorted out. I've got 20+ year olds working for me who'd bawl laughing at the stuff you're saying.

You seem to be really mixed up about the huge difference between interviews and job offers. You seem to be mixed up about a lot of things. I'm new to this forum but I'm guessing from some of the responses you've gotten so far that a lot of people would help you if you'd stop with the excuses and the attitude.

Edit. Stupid me. Saw your other thread and you're the same dude I already responded to on that one. You're talking about 1999 jobs on that one so you're not a kid at all unless you're just playing games. Unreal. You need some help dude.

Why should I keep calling back if I left a detailed message today?

Why should I keep calling back if I left a detailed message today?

It shows your tenacious, even though you are really not.

• Like 1
Oh ok so you want me to be caught off guard when someone calls me, I see

No, when someone calls you, even if you're off guard, I want you to be able to see it for the opportunity that it is - a positive one - instead of the opportunity to complain because it's not exactly what you expected or were prepared for. Wow, just wow...

• Author

Should I call next Tuesday to confirm the interview just in case they filled the position and forget I;m on the schedule?

I had a friend tell me she was called 3 hours before the interview to let her know the position is filled and that she doesn't need to come in

Should I call next Tuesday to confirm the interview just in case they filled the position and forget I;m on the schedule?

I had a friend tell me she was called 3 hours before the interview to let her know the position is filled and that she doesn't need to come in

My husband has had this happen a few times, drove out there and wasted gas to be told the position was filled the day before. I would call the day of the interview or the day before to confirm.

• Like 1
  • Author
My husband has had this happen a few times, drove out there and wasted gas to be told the position was filled the day before. I would call the day of the interview or the day before to confirm.

Just remembered he said they are closed on Mon and Tue, and the interview is wednesday at 1pm. So I don'r have a way to confirm unless I try Wed morning but I would be leaving out around 12:20pm so If I get the voicemail It's no point in leaving a message. Just have to take my chances and go if I don't get him on the phone wednesday morning

• 2 weeks later...
  • Author

Well I went to the interview last week that was arranged through the woman who knows my cousin but after finding out more about the job I don't want to work there because

1. I was told the last person who had the position took another position

2. I was told the person who had the position before that didn't make the 90 day probation

3. The total number of staff including me would be a total of 5

4. I wouldn't get to shadow anyone or receive any type of training for this position

The only good things about the job was

1. It's funded until 2014

2. it's a 10 min commute

Which is not enough to outweigh the negatives

It's funny, because many people do not know they have the right to ask an employer what happened to the previous employee with the position. It's actually a good question to ask to gauge the type of company they are and whether or not they have high turnover.

• Author
It's funny, because many people do not know they have the right to ask an employer what happened to the previous employee with the position. It's actually a good question to ask to gauge the type of company they are and whether or not they have high turnover.

I;m just glad he volunteer the information because no way in hell was I going to accept a position that had two different people since February of 2012

It's also very good to highly research a company before accepting a job not only to make a good impression on the interview, but also FYI. My brother moved out of state after graduating college for a low paying job...got laid off 2 months later and had to move back. Realized later that it was rather public online that the company had a 90% turnover rate...information he could have easily accessed before taking such a leap.

I;m thankful I just want to be notified that's all. How easy is it to send a email saying...I gave your resume to Bob from.....and you should be receiving a call

That's all I want

If you are lucky, they gave your resume to several people. They didn't know who would bite. They thought you wanted your name out there and were ready for the consequences. With jobs so hard to come by, and knowing somebody the best way to do it, be GLAD somebody stuck their neck out for you and don't even think of complaining.

• Author
If you are lucky, they gave your resume to several people. They didn't know who would bite. They thought you wanted your name out there and were ready for the consequences. With jobs so hard to come by, and knowing somebody the best way to do it, be GLAD somebody stuck their neck out for you and don't even think of complaining.

I found out the woman gave my resume to her supervisor who gave it to the guy who called me. But after going to the interview I have no interest in the job

I found out the woman gave my resume to her supervisor who gave it to the guy who called me. But after going to the interview I have no interest in the job

But surely you are still grateful you had a chance to check out an opening, right? Unfortunately, people can't just invent jobs that we'd want. All they can do is help us get the opportunity to get interviewed for what they do know about. What more can we ask for?

• Author
But surely you are still grateful you had a chance to check out an opening, right? Unfortunately, people can't just invent jobs that we'd want. All they can do is help us get the opportunity to get interviewed for what they do know about. What more can we ask for?

Yeah I appreciate her assistance but a small part of me is hoping I can land a job on my own so that my family won't be connected to my job life. If I were to get hired from a job that the lady sent my resume to, of course I would have to call and thank her and then she will tell my cousin that I;m working who would then tell my mother who would tell my aunt.

So I don't like my family knowing where i work so I just hope and pray that I can land a job that I applied to myself so that I can continue to keep my job life private.

• 2 weeks later...

So I don't like my family knowing where i work so I just hope and pray that I can land a job that I applied to myself so that I can continue to keep my job life private.

...wut? :laugh:

Also, when people call you to set up interviews, do they not brief you on the job details? In my experience this usually happens. That way you can decide right then if you're interested in the position/company and commit to an interview. If you're not interested, then learn how to politely decline. This can cut out on wasted time---yours and the company's.

And I find it so strange that multiple people in multiple threads have asked your age and you won't respond. I'm guessing early-mid 30's...

• Author
...wut? :laugh:

Also, when people call you to set up interviews, do they not brief you on the job details? In my experience this usually happens. That way you can decide right then if you're interested in the position/company and commit to an interview. If you're not interested, then learn how to politely decline. This can cut out on wasted time---yours and the company's.

And I find it so strange that multiple people in multiple threads have asked your age and you won't respond. I'm guessing early-mid 30's...

Yes I;m mid 30;s. And I always preferred to keep my job life separate from my family and don't want them knowing where I work