Bad working environment. Should I quit? But I don't have a job

They won't fire me. They were all empty threats. How do I know this?

When my boss threatened me and told me to leave, I answered, 'Well, if it isn't working out anymore for either of us... maybe I should just leave.'

As soon as I said that, he started taking back what he said... 'I don't want to you to go. I want you to stay. Just improve your work performance.'

But then it just turned me off. Mind you, that wasn't the first time he threatened to fire me... and every time I knew they were all empty threats. Do I really want to work that way, not having security in my job? So I also said, 'Well, this is my best here' What I was trying to say is that I've given it all I've got in that workplace, and if they are still not happy with my work then I guess I just have to accept that it isn't working for both of us anymore.

(not to brag but my position is very valuable to the company. I am the only one who can do my job. They can find someone to replace me, for sure... but it will be very difficult)

Like I said, I've been looking for another job for months now... and in this economy, well, you know how hard it is. I was planning to leave as soon as I got a backup. But now I guess the circumstances have changed a little.

I just think it would be impossible for us to work well together after that conversation, and all these issues are out there so what do I pretend that it never happened? If I stay, no matter how well I do or if I improve my boss would always think: 'This is not her best because she is not happy working here anymore.'

If I wait to get fired, what would I tell my next employer? Isn't that worse than quitting when you know you and your previous employer are just not working out?

The best thing you can do - always - is to improve your performance so you can eventually leave the company gracefully. Who knows...improve it enough and people might beg you to stay.

I'm talking about when leaving is inevitable, which is what it seems from the tone of your posts. If your departure is inevitable, then you should leave under the best possible circumstances in terms of your professional reputation, yes, but quitting isn't necessarily going to salvage your reputation - and it may even cost you money that you desperately need. That's all I'm saying. I'm not saying get fired; I'm saying make it work out, but if it doesn't, then don't make leaving your choice - make it theirs.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...