Christian creeds, hymns, or poems

i still say it's a bunch of crabby-ass bishop-editors with too much red ink ... I know they wanted to be in line with the Latin, but sometimes translations don't work when their literally ... literal! Like the "of all things visible and invisible" phrase. The previous usage worked just as well "of all things seen and unseen." It really didn't "lose" anything in translation, and therefore didn't really need to be changed, IMO.

Well from what I understand they changed it into English first. And from our English translation it will then be translated around the world accordingly.

Just go with it. :)

i still say it's a bunch of crabby-ass bishop-editors with too much red ink ... I know they wanted to be in line with the Latin, but sometimes translations don't work when their literally ... literal! Like the "of all things visible and invisible" phrase. The previous usage worked just as well "of all things seen and unseen." It really didn't "lose" anything in translation, and therefore didn't really need to be changed, IMO.

'Visible and invisible', is not the same thing at all as 'seen and unseen'.

I personally believe, from a mystic religious pov, the latter actually makes more sense.

Myself....

Air is 'invisible'. We're constantly breathing in and out - and we'd know it if it wasn't there!

Another country is 'unseen'.

it's there, we're just not necessarily aware or conscious of it all the time.

• Author
TheFinalWord

haha that's funny. Well, people like to get their names in the history books, "creed revised by such and such in the year of our Lord MMXI"...in my prior career a lot of leaders seemed to revise policies just b/c they needed to feel important. If it ain't broke, don't fix it...but that makes for boring theology. Nothing like a good theologian to make a mess of common sense (j/k ;)) No offense to anyone's clergy, I've seen the same thing in Protestant veins.

Oh, and thanks for the updated creed amaysngrace (cool handle BTW); 10 bonus points if you typed that from memory ;)

Edited by TheFinalWord
  • Like 1

Oh, and thanks for the updated creed amaysngrace (cool handle BTW); 10 bonus points if you typed that from memory ;)

Right back at you with a cool handle.

Of course I have a good memory...it's a prerequisite for being catholic.

Since this is about prayers, I'll add another of my favorites:

God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,

courage to change the things I can,

and wisdom to know the difference.

• Like 3

Of course I have a good memory...it's a prerequisite for being catholic.

:laugh::laugh::laugh: that's the only thing that's gonna help with adapting to the changes, because otherwise, I'm known to fight change tooth and nail! I know it's needed to keep things in line, it's just that the fussy writer in me resents what I think are unnecessary upgrades. Thank heaven they only messed with the English version!!!

• Like 1
  • Author
TheFinalWord
Since this is about prayers, I'll add another of my favorites:

God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,

courage to change the things I can,

and wisdom to know the difference.

That really should be the motto for this entire forum :laugh: Very wise choice amaysngrace ;)

• Like 2

In the morning, the one who does not understand will

consider what he will do,

while the one who understands will

consider what the One will do with him. Ibn 'ata 'illah

"I have been driven many times to my knees by the overwhelming conviction that I had nowhere else to go."

Abraham Lincoln

• Like 2