I Am Grounded For Life For Having Sex

mysterie_woman1001

I don't understand how INCLUDING abstinence in a sex ed program does a disservice. Please explain...?

Because you can't teach children not to have sex, and then teach them how to do it safely if they do. The second teaching minimizes the first.

what you can do is give them the efficacy of all the different methods of birth control, including abstinence, and let them decide how much of a risk they are willing to take.

i guess i see teaching abstinence as an option as something you can't get around. it is an option. people abstain intentionally and unintentionally all the time...

some people like to teach abstinence for moral reasons. fine. but if you are going to advocate teaching abstinence, you need to also realize that there are going to be children who are not going to accept your teachings and you need to give them the tools to protect themselves.

beyond that, people use birth control even within marriage, so teaching about condoms and pills and pregnancy prevention will be useful to almost everyone at some point in his/her life.

Well, we agree then... :)

If you are going to teach sex ed at all. Stress abstinence, but also give other information. That's all I'm saying.

• 3 weeks later...

I think what the mom did was digusting, and what the grandma said was utterly inhumane. I would have told her "Do whores become pregnant, too?"

:mad:

WHO THE FCK HAS THE RIGHT TO TELL ANYONE WHAT THEY ARE AND WHAT THEY AREN'T ALLOWED TO DO WITH THEIR BODIES?!?! :mad: I don't care how old the person is, she had sex of her own volition and to hell with anyone else.

This was her first time having sex - now the memory of it has been ruined for life through the unfeeling attitudes of her family members. They can go fck themselfs. If any blame is to be assigned then they should take a long hard look at themselves.

Originally posted by Papillon

WHO THE FCK HAS THE RIGHT TO TELL ANYONE WHAT THEY ARE AND WHAT THEY AREN'T ALLOWED TO DO WITH THEIR BODIES?!?! :mad:

Your parents.

They are legally resopnsible for you until you're 18.

If you want to talk about trauma, sure, but when you bring up 'right's it's important to note that minors have very few of those.

• 3 months later...

I have a question for everyone: Why should teenagers be punished for having sex? I am sixteen years old, a junior in high school, and i am doing a speech on this topic. My thesis statement is "Teenagers should not be discriminated against if they do have sex."

I don't understand why "adults" are against us having sex. Can someone explain why teenagers shouldn't have sex. Please don't say "because of STD's, Pregnancy, lack of knowledge" because we aren't stupid, we know protection! I just want to know why some people against it: whether it be that you're "old fashioned" or "religious."

Patiently waiting

I was 17 my first time, it was with my best friend. My mom never talked about sex with me, I never had much sex education in school except for the learning about mainstream STD's. This was before the whole AIDs thing became a big concern to the hetero community. I never used condoms, my partners nor I were ever involved in a crowd that anyone ever got any STD's. We were all basically the same type of people, no one I knew ever had them. I, on my own, took responsibility for my activity. I went to planned parenthood and got birth control, after all I didn't want to get pregnant. I don't understand why so many girls actually do. I don't recall, but maybe back then you didn't need your parents to authorize it.

Either way, when my son or daughter becomes sexually active I would feel better if it WAS in my home, at least I would know who they were with. I would just ask that they put a "do not disturb" sign on the door or at least lock it. Although I have no problem with them having sex, I don't really want to actually witness it!

I completely agree with that. My mother is very hard to understand about what she means when she talks about sex. She once told me that if I became sexually active to tell her and that we would talk about birth control. The very next day she told me that I had better now have sex until I am 40. My brother, who is eight years older than I am, told me that he was taking me to get birth control because he said that you could never be too careful. He told me that even though I may not be having sex at that point, but it might happen and that I should be prepared. I told my mother after I had sex and she asked me if I was responsible about it. I thought at the time that I felt better because I told her, but now I regret it. Every time my boyfriend and I go out now, when I come home she'll ask if I "F*cked" him again.

I will be open with my children about everything and I would also rather have them do it in my house than in a car, on someone elses bedroom floor, in a movie theater, etc.

So, can anyone tell me why it's so bad for teenagers to have sex if we are responsible about it?