Looking older or younger than your actual age

I get varied guesses for my age. I'm 30 and I consider myself to look 30.

Just as with a woman's weight, a man should never ask the age of a woman he doesn't know well.

When guessing a girl's age, same as weight again, guys will usually guess lower on purpose to avoid offending her and to give a friendly & indirect compliment.

You can see this clearly as I think every single woman to reply here has said they always get mistaken to be younger than they really are.

Do not shatter my delusion that I look 22 and 110 lbs with your honesty! :laugh:

Eternal Sunshine
I get varied guesses for my age. I'm 30 and I consider myself to look 30.

Just as with a woman's weight, a man should never ask the age of a woman he doesn't know well.

When guessing a girl's age, same as weight again, guys will usually guess lower on purpose to avoid offending her and to give a friendly & indirect compliment.

You can see this clearly as I think every single woman to reply here has said they always get mistaken to be younger than they really are.

Except that my brother, who is brutally honest and often tells me that I look fat or that he hates what I am wearing :laugh: - still tells me that I look younger all the time. He also goes on to say: but that's pretty much the only positive about you :o

Do not shatter my delusion that I look 22 and 110 lbs with your honesty! :laugh:

Sorry :D

Except that my brother, who is brutally honest and often tells me that I look fat or that he hates what I am wearing :laugh: - still tells me that I look younger all the time. He also goes on to say: but that's pretty much the only positive about you :o

Well, there are always exceptions.

Nikki Sahagin

Most people say I look younger.

If it makes a difference i'm white and 23, but people usually think i'm 16.

I'm happy to look younger :) I hope it lasts.

I find sometimes people talk down to me or always want to give me advice. That may or may not be due to the young face and more to do with my restless curiosity!

I am 33 and the other day somebody asked me if I was 25. I also still get carded sometimes.

samsungxoxo

I'm 25 but some think I'm between 21-23 so yeah I'm told I look a bit younger. Though when I was 11-13 years old, I would passed as a 16 year-old (then again, I had a fast growth spurt at that age).

Edited by samsungxoxo
Negative Nancy

Funny how everyone in this thread supposedly looks younger than they really are. Yeah, right. :lmao: I think many of these posters live in a delusional alternate reality. :rolleyes:

I don't believe anyone who tells me I look younger because usually that's just a polite "white lie". :rolleyes: If I look at pictures of myself from 5 or 10 years ago, I can definitely see the difference, and usually I can also guess the exact age in others.

Especially men know that guessing a woman "younger" is a quick way to win brownie points with her so of course they will always use the "you look like you are in your early / mid 20s" line. Very easy to see through :rolleyes:

Edited by Negative Nancy
  • Like 1

I really do look younger. In fact sometimes it hurts me at work because people think I am some inexperienced kid.

I always pictured you as a younger looking version of Lindsay Lohan. Younger than this that is.

http://assets.nydailynews.com/polopoly_fs/1.1120858.1343148090!/img/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_635/lohan25f-1-web.jpg

That's funny! I'm quite a bit older than she is. I think she is a beautiful woman. Too bad she has messed up her life.

threebyfate
Funny how everyone in this thread supposedly looks younger than they really are. Yeah, right. :lmao: I think many of these posters live in a delusional alternate reality. :rolleyes:

I don't believe anyone who tells me I look younger because usually that's just a polite "white lie". :rolleyes: If I look at pictures of myself from 5 or 10 years ago, I can definitely see the difference, and usually I can also guess the exact age in others.

Especially men know that guessing a woman "younger" is a quick way to win brownie points with her so of course they will always use the "you look like you are in your early / mid 20s" line. Very easy to see through :rolleyes:

Post a picture holding your LS username on a placard and we'll be happy to guess your age. :bunny:
  • Like 1
I'm told I look younger. I first started seeing my dermatologist (at 38) she was shocked when she looked at my chart and saw my age. And she kind of laughed, and said, "I always forget how old you are!"

...there's always a bit of a shift once people do find out how old you are

That's why I don't tell them!

My experiences have been similar. My dermatologist asked what I was using on my face and neck because my skin looked great.

I hadn't seen my chiropractor in over a year (I've been her patient over 20 years) and she said, "Fitchick you never change while I just get older and fatter."

It's one thing when friends say you look younger because they'll always lie. But when medical professionals whose job is working with the physical body tell me I look younger by ten or fifteen years, I have to believe them. I even had one member of my cardiologist's office staff say there was a typo on my medical chart -- year of birth. When I said it was correct, her jaw dropped.

However, I've always looked younger. I spent the night in my sister's dorm room -- she was a freshman and I had already graduated. All her friends assumed I was her little sister scoping out the college for when I graduated high school. Oooh, she was really angry about that!

Translated: I have many wrinkles and get told I am much older than I really am.

Once, i was walking by a high school and a teacher stopped me. "Young lady, why aren't you in class?" I was 26 at the time. I think she meant it.

Like others here, people tend to assume I'm younger (or pretend to be shocked when they find out my real age). I get carded or asked if I'm a student frequently. Strangely enough, it's people my own age who seem to struggle the most at placing me in their age group. It bothers me. I'm 36 and fine with it. I don't get the whole "younger is better" thing in general.

I think that I must generally look older than I am, based on the type of responses I've gotten from other people over the years.

Must be all the booze, cigs, and workin' in the coal mine.

• Like 1
eleanorhurting

I actually think I look my age. If someone thinks different please let me know.

Ivan_the_Terrible

My first post here ... When I argue with my wife, she sometimes gives up in frustration beacuse she is "tired of arguing with a five year old" I guess it means I look young for my age. I am 37.

• Like 1
Mme. Chaucer

I always looked older than I was. Not because of wrinkles or sagging, or whatever. I just had an "old fashioned" look, including the retro way I wore my makeup and hair, that had nothing to do with teenager cuteness. I could order drinks in bars when I was 15 or 16.

Fortunately, I pretty much looked the same age for decades.

I don't think people have any idea how old I am when they don't know me. I don't think I look young, or old either.

I'm an enigma.

Or an enema, depending upon who you talk to.

• Like 2

When I had my first child I was 24, when my daughter was about 3 months I took her the mall with me. While I was siting at the food court with the baby carriage next to me I noticed a little white haired lady giving me a sour look and shaking her head at me.

Finally I asked her if there was problem. Well I got a lecture on the young generation and the shameful teenaged mothers who run wild and pop out babies, she asked me if I even knew who the father was.

She refused to believe that I was 24 and married. She said I didn't fool her, anyone could wear a fake wedding band, and that I would rot in hell and my child would probably turn out as bad or worse than me. It was surreal, I swear she looked like she wanted to smack me with her purse....lol.

Lol...I still look a lot younger than my age, I used to hate looking too young

but now that I'm older it's great looking years younger.

• Like 2

I think I look my age, but last week this guy told my husband he really robbed the cradle. At first I thought he was talking to me, and I said, "Wow, that was mean, I don't think I look THAT old."

Anyway, he then guessed my age at about 10 years younger than I am. LOL, totally made my day. :p

I think I look my age, but last week this guy told my husband he really robbed the cradle. At first I thought he was talking to me, and I said, "Wow, that was mean, I don't think I look THAT old."

Anyway, he then guessed my age at about 10 years younger than I am. LOL, totally made my day. :p

That happens to me too! My girlfriend is 23 and I'm 21. She looks around 14 or 15 though since she is so small. I get dirty looks all the time, like I'm a pedo, since I look a bit older! The novelty wore off pretty fast.

That's why I don't tell them!

My experiences have been similar. My dermatologist asked what I was using on my face and neck because my skin looked great.

I hadn't seen my chiropractor in over a year (I've been her patient over 20 years) and she said, "Fitchick you never change while I just get older and fatter."

Well, what do you use to have such youthful looking skin?

todreaminblue

I attract young guys because I am a big kid......so they get a little surprised when I ask for id .......i go out with girlfriends normally who are amused at who come up to me they think its funny.The main reason why I am approached is because my girlfriends sit and drink and I am on the floor I like it when couples join me feels more comfortable then......I think approaching women in a group must be hard for guys ....all eyes swing towards the guy and then the staring begins....guy walks away...i understand....thats why they beeline me.......not so many eyes....

• 2 weeks later...
MercuryMorrison1

I'm 24 and I guess I look just about right for my age. Only in the past year or so have people stopped carding me when I buy beer. If I grow my beard out THEN I get told that I look older.