Parts of Your Life You Wish You Could Have Done Differently...?

amaysngrace

I've had obstacles thrown my way all my life but fortunately I've had many more blessings than struggles.

bentnotbroken
Is there any part(s) of your life that you wish you could relive and do differently that would have changed the course of your life or who you would become?

I only ask because I'm watching some college frat movies on Netflix and realize that I didn't experience college to its fullest potential, even while staying five years there...and it's the single biggest regret of my life...I'm positive my personality and social attitude would have been completely different had I taken full advantage of the social opportunities afforded to me during college...

I regret not getting my degree when I was younger and had more energy. I regret not being employed during the years I was home with my children. It has effected my retirement (can never make that up). I love my kids and I am glad that they had my attention when they were younger but......

The biggest mistake of my life all came down to one phone call that I never should have made. And I wish I had cared less about other people and more about myself. All of my efforts to help others and be a good person have mostly resulted in a kick in face. From now on I live for me.

I wish I had broken up with my boyfriend/fiance 10 years ago, when we still had a chance to meet other people who would have suited us both much better, at a time when we were still young. I was too afraid to do it then, so now, when it's 1000 times harder, we're pretty much stuck.

I regret not choosing a college major and sticking with it when I was younger in life, as I would probably have a career by now if I had. I regret picking the wrong internship for the same reason. I certainly regret pissing through a sum of money so vast I'm embarassed to reveal the number. I regret allowing depression to rule my life for the past 25 years or so. I regret not having the sense to work hard enough to make my relationship with my ex work.

Oh, and that salad I had with lunch yesterday? I totally should have ordered the soup. Man, the mistakes we make in life.

I wish I had taken a much longer think on the wisdom - or folly - of bearing children.

And no, that is absolutely NOT the same as saying I wish I'd never had them.

I wish I had taken a much longer think on the wisdom - or folly - of bearing children.

This is very interesting Tara, would you care to elaborate or is it too private? It's not something that's often discussed - though I think I might have seen you post about this before

I don't mind elaborating at all; but I'll happily do it through PMs if only to keep the topic of this thread - on topic...

eleanorhurting

I regret forming friendships/relationships/caring about most of the people I did during medical school. It was all one big high school which I will be more than glad to leave behind next year.

I made several mistakes in my life, but I'm really not sure I would change any of them. Those mistakes, and, more importantly, what I learnt and experienced from them, shaped me into the person I am today. Could I have been 'better'? Sure, I guess. But without mistakes, how does anyone ever learn? Nobody realizes their full potential right away, or at least very few people do.

• 2 weeks later...

i wish i'd had sex sooner, like between ages 18-20. i waited much longer and i think it made me self-conscious, depressed at times, and left with the feeling that i was not good at personal relationships/interaction. if i'd started dating/relationships/sex sooner, i think i'd be better at handling personal relationships now

Oh man i want to respond but I would probably exceed some kind of posting limit.

My life is awesome now but holy crap did I need an undo button in my younger years.

MercuryMorrison1

I wish that I could have gained more knowledge about women and dating at a younger age...I'm still young realtivly speaking at only 24 years old...But I spent much of my teens and early twentys never approching girls because I didn't know how to talk to them, and still don't in many ways.

However, I'm fortunante because I am still young enough that I can turn this around and make a difference.

I wish I could erase my first marriage from my life. All it did was give tons of baggage.

Whose choice is it to keep carrying it, though, Woggle? :)

• Like 1

Coming back to this thread and reading TaraMaiden's comment made me think of one more--I wish I had taken much LESS time to think on the folly of bearing children.

The commitment and work involved always seemed way too much, one I was never sure I wanted to risk taking on. Now, I'm thinking I probably would have been a good mom. :)

Oh good gravy, there's probably no a single thing in my life I wouldn't do differently if I had the chance, if only to see what would have happened.

But it's kind of pointless, because then I'd be a different person and wondering what things in my past I would have done differently. . . .

fortyninethousand322
Is there any part(s) of your life that you wish you could relive and do differently that would have changed the course of your life or who you would become?

I only ask because I'm watching some college frat movies on Netflix and realize that I didn't experience college to its fullest potential, even while staying five years there...and it's the single biggest regret of my life...I'm positive my personality and social attitude would have been completely different had I taken full advantage of the social opportunities afforded to me during college...

I kind of feel exactly the same way. I didn't make friends in college until my second year and even then I didn't live the "typical" college life. So yeah, I wish I could do college over again.

Whose choice is it to keep carrying it, though, Woggle? :)

At this point I think it is embedded in me.

If you really believe that, then it always will be.

A thought is only a thought - and thoughts can be changed.

Change you mind about what to think, say and react to - and you'll gradually find that the baggage starts getting lighter.

Sorry for O/T posts, guys.

someone12341

i regret trying to impress the wrong ppl (drinking friend)

Being a bully to people that did nothing to deserve it

if only back then what i know now i'd be a whole different person/life

If I had my time again I would not have gotten involved with someone 8 yrs ago and i so wish I never did. Meeting her and getting involved with her ruined my life and the dreams I had for my life. My life be very much different, I'm sure I would b happy. The flip side is that I would not have meet some wonderful people as a consquence of going down the road I did but after weighing all of that I wished I never met her. I made so many bad mistakes and I'm trule living to regret it. I have become world-weary through this experience and at the same time I know deep down I don't have that same spark to me that I once had.

Nikki Sahagin

I wish I had dealt with my anxiety/depression as soon as it first hit.

I'm only 23 and I still push through it most of the time successfully, but I feel it's got a real hold now and maybe if I'd stared it in the face earlier I could have escaped it.

Saying that it's not a regret as such because I did the best I could at the time and I don't know what would really have helped.