Psychiatry should be banned

Most mental illnesses are due to an imbalance in the brain.

FYI: That whole brain imbalance notion is a fallacy that big pharma and psychiatry brainwash people to believe.

There is no such thing as a brain imbalance. I should know, I suffered a TBI and had my brain MRI'd enough times that I know what I'm talking about. But like I said earlier, you and I can agree to disagree. And the OP post was to debate whether or not psychiatry should be banned. As I posted links in my previous posts to back up why I think psychiatry should be banned, here are some links that prove your statement false that mental illness is due to a chemical imbalance.

Mental Health Review: No such thing as a chemical imbalance

The Mental Health Review: There's no such thing as a "chemical imbalance"

Chemical Imbalance Theory proven false according to research

http://www.anxietycentre.com/downloads/Chemical-Imbalance-Theory-is-False.pdf

And if you're still not convinced...

A blog post by Joseph Burgo, PhD

"You Have a Chemical Imbalance in Your Brain" (Big Lie #1) | After Psychotherapy

As far as your criticism of the way I handled my exit care from my TBI, you again have no idea what you're talking about as you haven't gone through something like that, to use your own words when you insulted me in your previous post. Let's just stick to the OP's topic shall we?

I think psychiatry is a for-profit, un-scientific-based "business" that harms people and markets diseases and conditions in their DSM. If you want to counter my claims, please provide me with links that prove that mental illness is a real thing, based on a chemical imbalance. That's my opinion and it's clear that you and I will forever disagree Ducky. And I'm okay with that. But I won't let you insult my intelligence considering what I went through and the fact that I shared that personal information here on a public forum as evidence of why I believe psychiatry should be banned.

BigPharma has ever increasing profits -- good for shareholders. It also allows them to bribe our politicians.

• Like 1

There is no such thing as a chemical imbalance of the brain. You can thank BigPharma marketing team for that one...they've built a psychiatry empire on that huge lie, to ruin people's mental and physical health.

http://behindthelockeddoors.wordpress.com/2011/04/21/****ing-bastards-and-new-friends/

And here's a documentary film of a man who tried to wean himself off of an antidepressant. It nearly destroyed his marriage and his life. http://www.numbdocumentary.com/Numb_Documentary/Home.html

Edited by writergal
bentnotbroken
There is no such thing as a chemical imbalance of the brain. You can thank BigPharma marketing team for that one...they've built a psychiatry empire on that huge lie, to ruin people's mental and physical health.

http://behindthelockeddoors.wordpress.com/2011/04/21/****ing-bastards-and-new-friends/

And here's a documentary film of a man who tried to wean himself off of an antidepressant. It nearly destroyed his marriage and his life. Home

And here is where I disagree. But I like reading the discussion. :)

A good book exposing BigPharma's fraud is Overdosed America, written by a doctor who had access to research not readily available. Scary stuff, but required reading if you take antidepressants and statins for a start.

• Like 1

I wonder why people are so adamant to disbelieve all the written documentation by doctors, former BigPharma reps, scientists and even psychologists or psychiatrists themselves that proves psychiatry is a sham.

It's so obvious that it is. I'm shocked that people are so hostile towards me for my opinion and belief that psychiatry should be banned (which will never happen because that's like putting the banks out of business which won't happen unless we all put our money into credit unions but that's for another thread).

There's some value to modern medicine but for the most part, the human population is over-medicated, malnourished with processed food and fat from sedentary lifestyles. I don't believe in quackery, but I think there's some value to integrative medicine. The New Medicine |

And here is where I disagree. But I like reading the discussion. :)

Hey bentnotbroken. Thanks for at least being nice to me. :) I know it's a controversial topic but I feel like I've been attacked for my views by others which isn't necessary.

Synchronicity -- Glaxo Smith Kline fined billions of dollars for fraud concerning the safety of their antidepressants. I found out that BigPharma, when they know they are doing wrong and will be found out eventually, socks away money in a special account to pay the fine later. Today, GSK's stock price went up because people know that GSK is free and clear once they've paid the fine. BigPharma makes so many BILLIONS of dollars in profits that fines like this are pennies to them and merely the cost of doing blusiness. They need to be fined many billions of dollars more to deter them.

Also interesting that this case illustrates what Overdosed American exposed many years ago -- companies hide unfavorable research to get their drugs approved. So much for the power of the FDA, huh?

• Like 1
TaraMaiden

There are other issues concerning the big pharma companies that I seriously object to, but this isn't the thread for them... Suffice to say money is power and power corrupts.

Aspects of psychiatry are certainly a 'sham' but I don't think there's anything that proves the field is a sham or worthless. I'm very much anti Big Pharma, but that's not ALL psychiatry is or has been by any means. The biggest problem with psychiatry today is how little it's practiced and how often it's cited.

Psychiatry should include rigorous study and observation of patients, counseling, and an array of natural and medical treatments, including consideration of lifestyle and diet. It should, and has throughout time, be tied to sociology, psychology, spirituality/theology (if appropriate to the patient), and lifestyle. It clearly can include all of those things, but people like a "quick fix, take this pill" approach. That's not limited to psychiatry. It's a feature of our society as a whole. So that's what sells. But there ARE holistic psychiatrists. There are all kinds of uses for psychiatry and plenty of people it helps. Despite that, anything that becomes big business becomes breeding grounds for some scamming. That has nothing to do with psychiatry.

I strongly believe and have seen that in some cases medication is necessary, so I don't even think ALL the meds are a scam. Some are, I'd say, and most are over prescribed. But to equate psychiatry ONLY with Big Pharma is just disingenuous.

• Like 2
bentnotbroken
Hey bentnotbroken. Thanks for at least being nice to me. :) I know it's a controversial topic but I feel like I've been attacked for my views by others which isn't necessary.

They are indeed your views. I feel the same way talking about my faith in God. I get attacked as unintelligent, blah, the blah.... blah blah. :D

TaraMaiden

I think if we ALL changed our forum names to 'blah blah blah' we'd all be (a) more right about that, and (b) less opinionated..... :D

• Like 1
TaraMaiden

Forgive the off-topic-ness :rolleyes: of it, but i like this:

When posting, make sure your posts are THOUGHTFUL:

True

Helpful

Observant

Understanding

Grounded

Helpful

Tactful

Fun

Unbiased

Learnéd

• Like 1

Incompetent professionals should be sanctioned/prosecuted, as should businesses which profiteer off the general public. The title of this thread could be applied to any of the medical sciences, not just psychiatry/psychology. Quacks and profiteers exist in all corners of such professions and pursuits. Focus on them; the individuals. Make them accountable. End their negative impact on other humans.

I've had the good fortune to run across and engage some amazing professionals, expert in the diagnosis and treatment of neurological disease, so can balance them against the others experienced. IME, the balance was tipped far into the realm of professional, competent and caring. YMMV>

• Like 1

Like other posters have said, psychology/psychiatry helps those that have endured severe trauma and recover from PTSD. It has helped saved lives. It has helped fixed marriages. It has helped some abusers stop hurting others. It has helped parents become better parents. It has helped people gain the self-reflection and awareness to grow.

Now, there are a lot of bad and unethical psychologists/psychiatrists that don't help or do more harm. If these people have let you down, keep hope that there's a good one out there. You have to shop around and tell someone what your expectations are. Too many clients put their trust into someone and assume that the therapist is an expert, when he/she could be unethical.

• Like 2
todreaminblue
Forgive the off-topic-ness :rolleyes: of it, but i like this:

When posting, make sure your posts are THOUGHTFUL:

True

Helpful

Observant

Understanding

Grounded

Helpful

Tactful

Fun

Unbiased

Learnéd

Yes that would be lovely,Taramaiden,I try to be as unbiased as possible after 1/4 of a century of therapy and medication I almost have it....not quite when it comes to this topic though.....because I wouldn't be here to type this message if it wasn't for this topic....as far as being learned i had to look up BIGPHARMA....which I of course now now to be SHORT FOR PHARMACEUTICAL COMPANIES....WELL DER TO ME ....I thought the topic had changed to a big slice of ham...so I learned something new.....I will live with mental illness for the rest of my life and sometimes it is easy to feel invisible and my questions often go unanswered ...... all I want to find out from the people who think that psychiatry is a sham and basically the medication I am on is fake......

if it were banned and I cant get.... or all the other people with mental illness who rely on this branch for survival cant get to an acute care team or psychiatric hospital to be treated where do we go.....because if there is a herb or araomatherapy essential oil i can smell.....i will try that......but then I will be left to society and my loved ones to handle when that doesnt work......if pyschiatry was banned.....then my illness is where .....in my head......until it manifests itself outside my mental state and causes much heartache for others.....THANK god for psychiatry and those who passionately and compassionately treat mental illness.... .....deb

Edited by todreaminblue
  • Like 1
todreaminblue
I wonder why people are so adamant to disbelieve all the written documentation by doctors, former BigPharma reps, scientists and even psychologists or psychiatrists themselves that proves psychiatry is a sham.

It's so obvious that it is. I'm shocked that people are so hostile towards me for my opinion and belief that psychiatry should be banned (which will never happen because that's like putting the banks out of business which won't happen unless we all put our money into credit unions but that's for another thread).

There's some value to modern medicine but for the most part, the human population is over-medicated, malnourished with processed food and fat from sedentary lifestyles. I don't believe in quackery, but I think there's some value to integrative medicine. The New Medicine |

I haven't been hostile have I.If I have come across as hostile...i sincerly apologise.....Psychiatry already integrates alternative medicine.....it is actually embraced by pyschiatry......I loved my lavender pillow in the pysch ward so much I went out and bought one for myself.....I took up drawing with charcoal in the pysch ward to occupy my brain....I continue to do it getting pretty damn good too....I just want to ask one question......where do we go if pyschiatry is banned......what happens when I cant draw the lavender pillow starts to smell differently, when i am being silenced by voices talking to me who are not really there.....when reality doesnt seem real anymore and I am confused and alone with my thoughts for company who have a form outside my head......where can I find my alternative....besides my children paying for my funeral.....please answer this so I can see your side?

todreaminblue

Abstract Prose

Beyond Blue

I have some colors in a locked box,

they are not black or white,

or even shades of grey,

these colours wont help everyone,

they only help me,

they were argued about by an acute care team,

adjusted, trialed and even given with a cuddle occasionally,

my acute care team on call 24 hours a day always there to listen to my darkness so you dont have to read about it in some obituary,

they have taken years to get the shades of colours right,

listened endlessly to my wishes desires hopes and given me another colour to paint with

they allow my children to have the mother that they know,

they allow me to survive to kiss my grandchilds cheek,

they allow me to talk to the normal people and pretend for a little while I am one too

they are underneath my calming lavender aromatherapy candle,

under lock and key because they cannot go into anothers' hands,

they are mine, my colours, my choice .

So I mix the colours with water, and paint myself back into the picture,

intervention with electricity gives me a chance to hear my family and not the whispers of hopelessness

allow me to go beyond blue

and write this to you,

they wont ban psychiatry I know, they can not,

there are no perfect colours, but mental illness is a kaleidoscope that constantly changes,

needs research and effort,

if I was alone

I would not care about psychiatry,

ban it,

dismantle it,

take it away,

who cares,

I would fade an inconsequential statistic,

a faded painters epiphany of hope,

a forgotten obituary.....

Am I invisible,

Am I here,

does anyone really need me today

does anyone care its just so easy to go,

to relax with my aromatherapy,

drink my chamomile tea,

in my perfect room,

my books in alphabetical order by genre by author by subject by thickness and height

my art no one sees,

my poetry unappreciated,

my journal pointless

a world without psychiatry,

is a world that is not equipped to deal with me,

with people who would avoid me,

its a world of isolation,

a painting without colours,

people would avoid me and thats a fact,

because i would be yelling at the invisible person behind them to leave me alone

or because i walk through a shop window that looks like a door to me,

cut and bleeding who do they call to pick me up,

the ambulance that has the grim reaper driving it....

what use is psychiatry,

what purpose does it serve,

it allows me to have what you dont appreciate,

or need or want or could ever understand,

my life and the choice to silence the voices

and see beyond the blue

to exist on this earth and find my sliver of happiness

just like who?

you....

so answer my question and can you see now,

how all those articles. all those people who say,

"its fake its all about money,and quote a statistic or two......

but i am not one of their statistics to quote,

they know nothing about me except that i vote,

not knowledge like my acute care team you know.....

so what would they do if i knocked on their door,

and asked what can i do

they would say I am not responsible for you ,

and shut the door is what they would do

and continue on youtube its a sham its a fake,

ban psychiatry its just on the take or

the mentally ill have the wool over their eyes,

but they have no answers that are for just me what a surprise

So back to the colours in a box under lock and key I must go,

with this poem i wrote and passion to show,

that the world is better because of psychiatry you know......deb

Aspects of psychiatry are certainly a 'sham' but I don't think there's anything that proves the field is a sham or worthless. I'm very much anti Big Pharma, but that's not ALL psychiatry is or has been by any means. The biggest problem with psychiatry today is how little it's practiced and how often it's cited.

Psychiatry should include rigorous study and observation of patients, counseling, and an array of natural and medical treatments, including consideration of lifestyle and diet. It should, and has throughout time, be tied to sociology, psychology, spirituality/theology (if appropriate to the patient), and lifestyle. It clearly can include all of those things, but people like a "quick fix, take this pill" approach. That's not limited to psychiatry. It's a feature of our society as a whole. So that's what sells. But there ARE holistic psychiatrists. There are all kinds of uses for psychiatry and plenty of people it helps. Despite that, anything that becomes big business becomes breeding grounds for some scamming. That has nothing to do with psychiatry.

I strongly believe and have seen that in some cases medication is necessary, so I don't even think ALL the meds are a scam. Some are, I'd say, and most are over prescribed. But to equate psychiatry ONLY with Big Pharma is just disingenuous.

What aspects are you referring to? There are no aspects. It's a pretty cut and dry practice: Patient goes to see a psychiatrist for a mental health problem, psychiatrist interviews patient, possibly tests them, then gives patient a mental illness diagnose and prescription for a medication. That's how psychiatry works. And that is a sham - the diagnosis of mental health conditions (that aren't biologically proven, as cancer can be since cell tissue changes with disease but not with mental illnesses. The brain chemistry argument is unfounded and a lot of unsupported and UNCITED medical studies aka marketing schemes are what promote that myth), and the distribution and over-prescription of antidepressants (which are a sham). Psycho-therapy is performed by social workers or psychologists, not by psychiatrists who are medically trained, licensed doctors.

Straight from psychiatrists at a conference:

Psychiatrists in this video admit ON CAMERA that none of them have cured their patients, that the medications they give to patients just introduces toxic chemicals to the patient's brain and that there is no definitive science to treating mental illness which is just a best-guess on the psychiatrist's part (see video). In the video the psychiatrists admit that some of them don't even use a test to diagnose a patient. No case reports are validated, and at their conferences they get together and vote on new disorders they want to include in the DSM-IV. There is no definitive test to show a chemical imbalance in the brain. There are no objective, chemical tests to diagnose mental illnesses.

And here's another video from a psychiatrist with 22 years of experience. He explains why psychiatry is a sham.

Just because you're anti-Big Pharma doesn't mean that's not part of psychiatry. That is just your opinion so let's be clear about that. And your last sentence about how psychiatry is not practiced or cited is complete nonsense. A bad psychiatrist is still a psychiatrist. As Shakespeare wrote, "a rose by any other name still smells as sweet." Holistic psychiatrist, addiction psychiatrist, child psychiatrist, adult psychiatrist...different labels for the same practice: to diagnose and prescribe medication.

Another video...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPUHUpfDVgY&feature=relmfu

And as far as psychiatry not being cited, what are you referring to exactly? That statement doesn't make any sense. Psychiatrists publish articles in journals that are cited. They also appear in the media when required, and even have their own tv or radio talk shows and publish books. So they are definitely cited.

We could argue the validity of medications til the cows come home. I already stated (and included links to resources that support my argument) that antidepressants are a scam medication. And yes, they are always over prescribed and not regulated or tested properly. There's plenty of proof for that too. Overprescribing Antidepressants | Psychology Today

FitChick included a link to a scandal with a major pharmaceutical company, GlaxoSmithKline who are always getting into trouble with the way they promote medications for improper use. Or did you not read that article. They're in trouble again, actually for the same thing.

To equate psychiatry ONLY with Big Pharma is just disingenuous.

Disingenuous? How so? So my stating a fact (Psychiatry and Big Pharma operate together) isn't a sincere perspective? That doesn't make sense. Psychiatrists are licensed medical doctors who prescribe medications to patients. Where does that medication come from? Big Pharma. If a psychiatrist didn't prescribe medication they wouldn't need to become licensed medical doctors, or take another two years to specialize in prescribing medication. And all licensed medical doctors have that ability, but that's a moot point since this thread is about whether or not psychiatry should be banned and the reasons for each side's argument.

Edited by writergal
I'd like to point out that you're better off disagreeing with something when you know WHAT you're disagreeing WITH. I never stated that psychiatry helped everyone. Nor that it was "the answer" to all things. The original post, which I replied to, was "psychiatry should be banned: what purpose does it serve?" why, exactly, they put you into psychiatric care after an accident is beyond me. That was NOT a psychiatric mistake IMO, it was a severely flawed MEDICAL mistake. You had no mental illness which psychiatric drugs could be of use to, and your MD could easily prescribe you medication for your insomnia. PTSD and insomnia are not psychiatric specialties. They should be treated by a psychologist and an MD, NOT a psychiatrist. I never said that "mistakes don't happen", you obviously should have checked your psych on your own to make sure of their qualifications before being seen by them, just as you would a doctor, lawyer, or any other "professional" which you consult for ANY problem.

Psychiatry is NOT for MEDICAL patients, it is for MENTALLY ILL individuals. If you are not mentally ill, you should not be seeing a psych. Period. Most mental illnesses are due to an imbalance in the brain. These imbalances are what the medication is made to treat. If you are sad, antidepressants won't help you, if you are not bi-polar, Lithium will not help you, if you have a healthy brain and are simply experiencing emotional/behavioral issues, medication WILL NOT help you. It is this reason that there is a HUGE difference between phsychiatrists and psychologists. The issues that they treat/prevent are very similar, and it is easy to confuse the two. An MD, with a proper diagnosis with the second-opinion and support of a psychologist CAN prescribe anti-depressants, anti-psychotics, and other "psychiatric" drugs.

So, back to the original argument, the question "what purpose does it serve?" is that psychiatry, when used PROPERLY, is extremely beneficial to those who suffer a chemical imbalance in their brain which REQUIRES medication and psychiatric supervision to CORRECT and maintain stability.

I admire your thoughtfulness in thinking enough to do your own research into the subject of psychiatry, however it may be beneficial to also educate yourself on the illnesses the medication is treating, the CAUSE of the illness, and the ALTERNATIVES to medication that all good psychiatrists and psychologists use ALONGSIDE medication to help the patient regain stability in their lives.

And I'm from Washington State. I live 100 miles from one of the most insane cities (per capita) in the state. I trust my MD, and I ALWAYS research mental health professionals before seeking their assistance. Your MD is your best place for referrals to mental health professionals, assuming you trust their judgement.

Ducky, I know exactly what I'm disagreeing with. You had post-partum depression and sought psychiatric help for that. That is your choice and I have no issue with you seeking help with medication for that. Like I said, I know several women who suffered with terrible post-partum but that's not what I disagree with here. It's the way psychiatry lies to people. That's what I disagree with.

What happened to me is because of a psychiatric mistake. I was in the hospital recovering from a brain injury. Do you really think I had any say in what medications I was given, or who prescribed them? And as far as the psychiatrist who prescribed the wrong medication for my insomnia, who was practicing without a license...it's not my fault that I didn't know 1) which medication is best for insomnia and 2) that his medical license was revoked. After all, that's the doctor's job, to know how to treat a disease or condition. Not mine or we wouldn't need licensed, medical doctors would we? When my health insurance member services pull up a doctor's name and contact information, if his license was revoked that should have popped up in their database system. But FYI: database systems clearly don't get updated in a timely fashion, do they?

As far as the original argument goes, psychiatry is a sham for reasons I've already stated repeatedly, and I even back that up with sources that I include links to, but you haven't checked those out because you haven't responded to them, which means you aren't interested in seeing the other side of this hot-topic issue.

Here,

and here

and here

Now feel free to watch these videos, some of which come straight from psychiatrists themselves, then tell me that my opinion is wrong. It is my opinion after all, which I'm entitled to, as you are entitled to yours. We can agree to disagree.

Edited by writergal
WeAllMightBeNuts

I dated a woman who's dad is a world renowned Psychiatrist in his field.

Ironically, the whole family is totally f@#ked up mentally. Seriously.

• Like 1
I dated a woman who's dad is a world renowned Psychiatrist in his field.

Ironically, the whole family is totally f@#ked up mentally. Seriously.

Yowsa. Run Forrest, run!

That must have been a head-trip for you. Pun intended. Did they try to slip antidepressants in your water when you were with them? j/k

WeAllMightBeNuts

LOL! No anti-depressants. But each had their own version of unhappiness.

I have ups and downs like many, but I think in the majority I'm like a special kid at a ballgame with a hotdog and a Coke. :D

I just found this video, The Marketing of Madness. Very interesting. It talks about how indoctrinated the belief in chemical imbalance is, to our society, that people believe it despite no scientific proof of what a chemical imbalance is. Lots of psychiatrists and patients comment on this...now if this isn't proof that psychiatry should be banned, I don't know what else I can find as evidence to prove that.

LOL! No anti-depressants. But each had their own version of unhappiness.

I have ups and downs like many, but I think in the majority I'm like a special kid at a ballgame with a hotdog and a Coke. :D

LOL! Awww

WAMBN, welcome to the club my friend Welcome to the club!