the medical profession does recognize the facts you dispute. You are more the exception than the rule.

That's because, as noted previously, doctors know nothing about nutrition or fitness unless they specialize in it or in antiaging medicine. They do surgery and write prescriptions. Where I live most women have similar experiences to mine and one of my doctors is on bioidentical hormones and natural thyroid. She referred me to her endocrinologist who said too many of his patients make excuses for why they aren't losing weight once their meds are optimized. I think he puts gold stars in my medical chart. ;)

Balance your hormones and you won't need antidepressants (you never said you were on them but I knew) and you will have more energy to exercise, further lifting your mood.

A good place to start is by reading Suzanne Somers' books on antiaging. She interviews the top doctors and researchers in the field.

• Author
If you have fitness related questions, please feel free to ask me in a PM. I worked as a personal trainer for a while and the amount of misinformation people are being provided with, is beginning to bother me. :mad:

I can't PM you, cuz you're not an established member.

bentnotbroken
That's because, as noted previously, doctors know nothing about nutrition or fitness unless they specialize in it or in antiaging medicine. They do surgery and write prescriptions. Where I live most women have similar experiences to mine and one of my doctors is on bioidentical hormones and natural thyroid. She referred me to her endocrinologist who said too many of his patients make excuses for why they aren't losing weight once their meds are optimized. I think he puts gold stars in my medical chart. ;)

Balance your hormones and you won't need antidepressants (you never said you were on them but I knew) and you will have more energy to exercise, further lifting your mood.

A good place to start is by reading Suzanne Somers' books on antiaging. She interviews the top doctors and researchers in the field.

You see where I live we don't have the issues with the medical profession you describe. We are blessed to have doctors who are well aware of the issues surrounding aging and weight gain (along with other issues pertaining to those who age). They also recognize that being fit is very important but may not be equal to what a chart based in 50's and 60's (and a males point of view) says.

:)Thanks but the professionals have tested me and my hormones are pretty balanced. I speak to give an alternative view point to the one that says all you have to do is "this" or "that" to lose weight when in actuality it isn't that simple for a great number of people. Your research and my research have led us to two different conclusions. And I find my research just as valid as you find yours.

You see where I live we don't have the issues with the medical profession you describe. We are blessed to have doctors who are well aware of the issues surrounding aging

Let me guess -- you're in Florida.

bentnotbroken

Nope...too many older people. :D

The research I have read for the last 18 plus years do say age is a factor. The metabolism slows, differing medications needed for (in my case thyroid and HB)things like diabetes, heart disease, arteritis and osteoporosis just to name a few make it difficult to maintain those 1950 charts. As far as excuses...not sure how facts make excuses. How old are you may I ask?

Metabolism slows because we lose muscle as we age. Fat has a lower metabolic rate than muscle so, starting at around age 35 or so, a person who does nothing to maintain muscle mass will see her metabolism slow down. But there's no reason this has to happen -- it's easy to maintain muscle mass (or even gain it).

Lots of things change with age, hardly any of them for the better. To me, eating right and exercising are the best things I can do for my health and, by extension, my appearance.

• Like 2

I am. :)

The average doctor knows little about nutrition and less about natural hormones. I am not sure that's unique to Florida.

• Like 1
bentnotbroken
Metabolism slows because we lose muscle as we age. Fat has a lower metabolic rate than muscle so, starting at around age 35 or so, a person who does nothing to maintain muscle mass will see her metabolism slow down. But there's no reason this has to happen -- it's easy to maintain muscle mass (or even gain it).

Lots of things change with age, hardly any of them for the better. To me, eating right and exercising are the best things I can do for my health and, by extension, my appearance.

I completely agree. I said the charts that are used are out of date and that the expectation of someone maintaining those weights as we age is almost impossible. I do not suggest that one does nothing to remain fit and healthy. I am very clear as to what the does to our longevity. But I am also aware through research that healthy does not always equal the same weight as chart created in the 1950's. I am also aware that there are many who deal with issues that effect the weight gain and unfortunately there aren't always natural remedies for some health issues.

Edited by bentnotbroken
I completely agree. I said the charts that are used are out of date and that the expectation of someone maintaining those weights as we age is almost impossible.

Those charts are out of date because 100 pounds for 5' is not ideal for everybody. That's silly, because we are not all the same.

But my personal "ideal" weight at 20ish has not changed now that I am 40ish, nor has it become impossible for me to maintain that weight. I am still the same frame, and the same activity level, and have maintained muscle, and my weight is the same.

It is probably unhealthy and impossible for everyone to try to conform to one formula of "ideal weight". But it is not impossible for us to maintain our own ideal weight as we age. It just takes more effort, at an age when most of us have a ton of responsibilities, and exercise becomes a lower priority.

• Like 2
I completely agree. I said the charts that are used are out of date and that the expectation of someone maintaining those weights as we age is almost impossible. I do not suggest that one does nothing to remain fit and healthy. I am very clear as to what the does to our longevity. But I am also aware through research that healthy does not always equal the same weight as chart created in the 1950's. I am also aware that there are many who deal with issues that effect the weight gain and unfortunately there aren't always natural remedies for some health issues.

Sorry if I misunderstood you. Too often, I hear people offer up aging as an excuse for weight gain. And there's nothing inevitable or unavoidable about weight gain, imo, except in extremely rare cases. And I say this as probably one of the older posters in this forum, and one who has BTDT when it comes to thyroid problems, menopause, and all that jazz.

It is probably unhealthy and impossible for everyone to try to conform to one formula of "ideal weight". But it is not impossible for us to maintain our own ideal weight as we age. It just takes more effort, at an age when most of us have a ton of responsibilities, and exercise becomes a lower priority.

I agree but I would add that I think some people have determined an "ideal" that is far heavier than it should be. An example is the current trend for some people to compare themselves to the statistical average and conclude that they are fine because they meet it (or even slightly beat it). The problem is that the statistical average in this case represents overweight, so being average is in no way "ideal."

• Like 2

I work with women who are in their forties and fifties and as slim and fit as they were in college. One was a college champion in tennis and she plays every weekend. Another is a lifelong runner. Three others go to the company gym nearly everyday. Three of the women have small children.

They buy nutritious food from the cafeteria and generally split an entree with someone else because of the big portions or wrap up the other half to have the next day at lunch. Our department buys cupcakes to celebrate birthdays but people often split one or eat the other half the next day with their coffee. If we eat a whole one, we eat less at dinner time or the following day. This is all common sense. As we know, common sense is uncommon these days.

• Like 1
RiverRunning

There are SO Many different variables with all of this...

I'm 5'8", around 200 lbs. and just getting into size 12s and usually size L women's shirts...medium shirts if they're unisex. I have met women who are 5'6", 180 - 190 pounds...and they are in size 16 - 18 pants and shirts much bigger than what I wear. Yet even accounting for the height disparity, we equal out on the BMI.

I'm trying to get to 150 - 160. I'm just not lightly built.

I think that 140 - 145 is the lightest I'd be willing to go, but we'll see, I guess. Sometimes it feels like I lose 20 - 30 pounds and it's not at all visible...le sigh!

Better than weight or even BMI are the mirror and/or bodyfat analysis. In most cases, if a person stands naked in front of the mirror s/he can tell if s/he is in shape or not.

If there's any doubt, having your bodyfat measured is fairly easy to do. There's a world of difference between 5'5", 130 pounds and 20% BF and 5'5", 130 pounds and 28% bf, both in appearance and health.

Those charts are assuming everyone has or should have the same body type. There are all different shapes and sizes. I'm 5'3" and weigh around 125-130. I wouldn't and cannot go lower than 120 before looking too thin. My parents have always been very shapely, curve and muscle. I feel I look good as I am.

Better than weight or even BMI are the mirror and/or bodyfat analysis.

Better than a mirror is a photograph. Most people think they look good in the mirror but are shocked at how they look in photos.

I always wanted to be normal, not thin not fat. well I'm 141 and 5.2 feet and I'm fat :( I'm trying to lose weight but im scared of looking bad , cuz i dont have a big butt and if i lose my tits i won't have anything :weep:

I guess it depends where you live OP, but where I am a big part of the population is overweight. The thin/slim no tits or arse women, don't lack for male attention. I realise many women see their T&A as big aspect when it comes to defining their femininity (and it is), but don't underestimate from many guy's perspective being fat vs slim also plays a big part in that evaluation. You should be able to find a middle ground.

• Author

Recently most girls are very thin.

I like curvy body but i'm trying to lose about 5 Kg, I guess that will do it. The normal size I want.

Also I i'm between 5'3'' and 5'4'', I made a mistake at first.

I'm 5' and weigh 102-103, so I'm right at that 100 lbs.

I've weighed what I do for about ten years, yet, my body has changed anyway. From 2000-2005 or so, I wore a size 0 or 1 in jeans/pants. I wear a 2 now (and have since 2006 or so) even though my weight is the same. I think your body just changes in terms of how things are stored and muscle, etc. I dunno....

All I know is the weight IS the same, but the pants went up a size.

I'm happy with my body in terms of skinniness, though. Guys I've dated and guy friends have told me that I have a good body, not too skinny, not fat. I'd change some things, certainly, but generally I'm happy.