When you see an out of shape person at the gym....

• Author
futuregopher
Well I corrected a very fit guy the other day because he let his head hang down while he was doing push ups instead of looking ahead. It's my pet peeve.

I do feel like having a chat with girls when I'm doing my core exercises on the mat and they are only doing some half-arsed version of an abs routine. Not to patronise but because I know if they worked just a touch harder, they would see results much sooner and perhaps stick with their membership. I don't say anything in the end but I do believe a lot of non-athletic types give up (especially women) because they have no idea how to progress.

I like to do pushups with handles with my spine as straight as possible. I just personally wouldn't do them looking straight ahead because that would mean my spine is bent. If people are looking for a challenge while doing pushups, maybe you can get a friend to put a 25lb weight on your back. just my 2c

• Author
futuregopher
are you there to work out or to pay attention to what others are doing?

if you want to help others in the gym you can be a personal trainer.

people know when you are giving false flattery. are you hoping these people notice and complement your physique in return?

I think the only thing you should do is focus on your workout or a quick good to see you here kind of comment for someone who keeps coming back.

i really don't get this obsession by fit people over what unfit people are eating and doing or not doing. Are you all secretly afraid it can happen to you?

wow definitely the most awesome female physique I've seen on LS!!

are you there to work out or to pay attention to what others are doing?

if you want to help others in the gym you can be a personal trainer.

people know when you are giving false flattery. are you hoping these people notice and complement your physique in return?

I think the only thing you should do is focus on your workout or a quick good to see you here kind of comment for someone who keeps coming back.

i really don't get this obsession by fit people over what unfit people are eating and doing or not doing. Are you all secretly afraid it can happen to you?

^^This.

I don't concern myself with what anyone else is doing, or what they think about what I'm doing.

^^This.

I don't concern myself with what anyone else is doing, or what they think about what I'm doing.

Yep, it's weird that people are so obsessed. "OMG People are fat, I must complain about it!"

Who gives a crap? Deal with your own issues.

• Like 1
So you're supposed to look horizontally? It's harder in that it's painful on my neck, not really for anything else. I also put one foot on top of the other and only use one for balance.

She said it like it's wrong, it's just better to do it that way then.

I just looked up recommended ways to do a push up, none of them include looking forward.

The military advocates the head up method...I guess so you can look at the person yelling at you... :laugh:

• Like 2

I use Perfect Pushups to spare my wrists. Looking at that clip has me wondering if my elbows are flaring out too much. The correct form looks like he is doing a triceps pushup.

I will argue about having your hips up and your head down being incorrect. I've always heard that is called a beginner's pushup. Your head comes down between your hands. Then as you get stronger, your chest lowers between your hands as your head comes forward and your hips drop.

Margaret Richard invented something she calls a pushdown. You can see her doing it in the clip above for Good'n'Strong. When done properly, it totally fries your triceps.

It's always good to have a mirror to check your form. I had a very sporty ex who complained that gym goers were vain because they were always looking in the mirror when working out. He was Mr. Macho and climbed mountains, played tennis, went shooting, white water rafting, etc.

I use Perfect Pushups to spare my wrists. Looking at that clip has me wondering if my elbows are flaring out too much. The correct form looks like he is doing a triceps pushup.

I will argue about having your hips up and your head down being incorrect. I've always heard that is called a beginner's pushup. Your head comes down between your hands. Then as you get stronger, your chest lowers between your hands as your head comes forward and your hips drop.

Margaret Richard invented something she calls a pushdown. You can see her doing it in the clip above for Good'n'Strong. When done properly, it totally fries your triceps.

It's always good to have a mirror to check your form. I had a very sporty ex who complained that gym goers were vain because they were always looking in the mirror when working out. He was Mr. Macho and climbed mountains, played tennis, went shooting, white water rafting, etc.

I've just never heard of raising your head up while doing pushups, and the other poster said it's a "pet peeve" which means it's fundamentally wrong.

Nothing I can find says that's the case.

I've just never heard of raising your head up while doing pushups, and the other poster said it's a "pet peeve" which means it's fundamentally wrong..

You always keep your head, neck, shoulders and back aligned. Never heard of lifting your head up and back. When doing the beginner's pushup, you still stay straight but your butt is sticking up. You look like you are sniffing the ground but your head/neck/shoulders/back are straight. Forgot to mention that your knees are on the ground like in "girly" pushups. Sorry for any confusion I may have caused.

Edited by FitChick

When I see a really out of shape person in the gym, I think "oh, it must be January". Then I just avoid the person cause I know he/she will be gone by March.:p

people still laugh at me when I go running because I have a a few handles lol until till they run with me and try too keep up 6minute miles an't no joke besides I hate running with t-****rts it seems too slow me down just my take but for me its about th work out not what I look like I could not really give a ****:cool:

I agree. You can tell who is vain, because they watch themselves not only when they are doing reps, but also between sets. It's nice to see muscles though. I think people like to see gaze at their own accomplishments. I admit to some vanity. Vanity is the reason 98% of the people even bother to go. But I also really like to feel fit. I'm sure I'm fitter than 95% of the people I encounter, and I like that doing hard work doesn't wear me out or cause injuries.

I agree. You can tell who is vain, because they watch themselves not only when they are doing reps, but also between sets. It's nice to see muscles though. I think people like to see gaze at their own accomplishments. I admit to some vanity. Vanity is the reason 98% of the people even bother to go. But I also really like to feel fit. I'm sure I'm fitter than 95% of the people I encounter, and I like that doing hard work doesn't wear me out or cause injuries.

I have a pair of midgets who walk around the gym with me holding body-length mirrors and placing them in flattering positions.

And anyone who doesn't admit to some degree of vanity is full of it...

• Author
futuregopher
I have a pair of midgets who walk around the gym with me holding body-length mirrors and placing them in flattering positions.

And anyone who doesn't admit to some degree of vanity is full of it...

Where did you hire these midgets? Do all gyms allow them? I always have a person shining downlighting on me to look even bigger than I am when I lift. The mirror placement is a great idea.

The military advocates the head up method...I guess so you can look at the person yelling at you... :laugh:

:D I don't have my head up that much but I definitely look further ahead than the guy in the youtube video. His butt was sticking up too high

I like to do pushups with handles with my spine as straight as possible. I just personally wouldn't do them looking straight ahead because that would mean my spine is bent. If people are looking for a challenge while doing pushups, maybe you can get a friend to put a 25lb weight on your back. just my 2c

It's nothing to do with a more challenging push up, it's having the correct and perfectly aligned position in the first place. Strong shoulders, strong core, your butt aligned with your body, not sticking up, your head not dropping between your shoulder blades. Much much easier to do if you look ahead slightly

The pain I was talking about, was pain in my problem knees, pain in my back, etc. I love to challenge myself, but I'm not going to injure myself doing so.

Why do you have pain in your knees and back?

:D I don't have my head up that much but I definitely look further ahead than the guy in the youtube video. His butt was sticking up too high

I've just never heard of looking ahead being normal, it just doesn't seem to be treated as correct form.

Sometimes I feel bad for them 'why can't they just eat less??'

anyways, I won't Judge them as long as they are working out and have a sweat on their face.

The truth is most fat people just sit on sitted cycle machine and just chill.

the dumber ones just stay on ab machine, thinking they can just get rid of their guts by doing sit ups ROFL