I'm a smoker, how much of a deal breaker is this?

I've heard "dating pool" twice on here recently, is that really how people see dating? Like it's a big body of water and you gotta jump in and find someone?

I find that incredibly weird. I just dated people I wanted to date, I never looked for them.

And smoking was good for that, anyone who did the obnoxious fake cough or bitched and complained about how bad they are was automatically ignored.

LOL - your "dating pool" would be the people who would be open and willing to date you.

It's been talked about on here a lot. If someone is successful, good-looking, fit, and social, they are gonna have a larger "pool" of potential dates than someone who isn't any of those things.

And smoking does reduce the number of potential matches, because there are a lot of people who dislike smoking.

LOL - your "dating pool" would be the people who would be open and willing to date you.

It's been talked about on here a lot. If someone is successful, good-looking, fit, and social, they are gonna have a larger "pool" of potential dates than someone who isn't any of those things.

And smoking does reduce the number of potential matches, because there are a lot of people who dislike smoking.

Yeah it does, but the fact that people see it that way is weird.

I date people I click with, I don't go looking for them or go "Well I got into shape, I have 5,000 more possibilities!" that's just odd.

Be yourself, the fact that people ty to be something they aren't is a HUGE problem. I'm sure women with platinum hair have a larger dating pool, but that's just dumb.

I date people I click with, I don't go looking for them or go "Well I got into shape, I have 5,000 more possibilities!" that's just odd.

Be yourself, the fact that people ty to be something they aren't is a HUGE problem. I'm sure women with platinum hair have a larger dating pool, but that's just dumb.

I do agree with you here. I don't think someone should become something he/she isn't in order to get more possibilities.

But - if something is good for YOU (working out, quitting smoking, etc) and ALSO has the benefit of increasing datability, that's a win-win, isn't it?

Yeah it does, but the fact that people see it that way is weird.

I'm the other poster that used the term 'dating pool'. There are specific traits I look for and if someone doesn't possess them, they are not in that pool. I think most people have that, it's just whether you admit to it or not.

Mine are: he has to be physically fit but beyond looks more importantly he has to have his life sorted out, be able to hold down a job, be responsible with his money.

I'm pretty sure you have some basic standards too, or at least I hope so

I'd say if you look after yourself physically and your life is in decent shape, you will have more people after you, yes. I think there are a fair number of men here on LS that agree with this statement when it comes to potential partners, they certainly seem to vocalise that they want women who have something to offer (beyond looks). That's only natural.

That goes beyond having platinum hair I should think.

Edited by Emilia

But - if something is good for YOU (working out, quitting smoking, etc) and ALSO has the benefit of increasing datability, that's a win-win, isn't it?

I think bringing the best out of yourself is the way to be. I would always want to be with someone who inspired me to be that way rather than sit on the sofa shrugging his shoulders because he didn't care

coffeeloverx

Smoking and drugs are THE deal breaker for me, I take care of myself,I expect my partner to take care of themselves too. Plus, smoking makes you smell bad, and you always smell like cigarette smoke, no matter what. I know, both my parents smoked and ugh.