I can't tell you how many dating profiles I've read where men say "I go to the gym three times a week" or "I swim daily" or "I run everyday" then always add "...but I am not obsessed." I suspect they are used to hearing similar remarks as on this thread.

American men don't say such things. If anything, they boast about working out a lot.

I don't care what they say -- it's what they do and how they look that matter to me.

I see. Personally, I don't see that as apologising for working out. I see it as stating that they care about taking care of themselves but don't buy into the culture that makes calorie counting and the quest for 'a perfect body' an overwhelming aspect of their lives. But that kind of statement is pretty open to interpretation.

• Like 1
Edit: I find the comparisons with the UK having 'less healthy lifestyles' rather amusing. Is that why America still tops the list of the nations with the highest obesity incidences in the WORLD?

I agree that most Americans are fat pigs but the British are becoming just as fat. I was shocked the last time I was there. I wondered what all the American tourists were doing in the middle of nowhere. Then I heard the accent. The British are getting just as fat as the Americans for the same reasons, with the added burden of a drinking culture. People tend to forget that alcohol is just empty calories, same as sugar. Obesity is a burden on the NHS and the UK taxpayer.

Everyone needs to take charge of their health.

Well, I don't know about you, but I think it's generally well-accepted that obsession - with ANYthing - is something unhealthy, not something you should be proud of having. The fact that this obsession is with weight does not usually exclude it from that. Then again, it is true that sometimes people are accused of obsession when they are really not, so that leads to a fear of being seen as obsessed just because you care about something.

Only you can decide truly whether or not you are obsessed.

In America, fit people think of healthy diet and exercise as being a good habit, unlike the UK where most people apologize if they exercise regularly, which amuses me. Vanity is considered a sin there.

Where on earth do you get this nonsense about the UK? I have seen you post about it before.

I can't tell you how many dating profiles I've read where men say "I go to the gym three times a week" or "I swim daily" or "I run everyday" then always add "...but I am not obsessed." I suspect they are used to hearing similar remarks as on this thread.

American men don't say such things. If anything, they boast about working out a lot.

I don't care what they say -- it's what they do and how they look that matter to me.

You are drawing conclusions about 70 million people based on OLD profiles? :eek:

The reason why those men say they are not obsessed because they want to come across balanced rather than focused on one thing too much. In European culture we value a balanced way of life.

It's true that many Brits are seriously overweight, it's due to unhealthy food, too much alcohol and a sedentary lifestyle. The climate in this country doesn't allow for much outdoor activity and most people simply don't want to deal with it. The food is also very fatty to compensate for a generally cold climate.

The British are also understated by large and too much vanity is laughed at. Fitness is usually valued highly though because despite everything above, they also appreciate discipline.

EDIT: this comes from someone who has lived in the UK on/off since 1994. NOT based on OLD profiles

Edited by Emilia
Where on earth do you get this nonsense about the UK? I have seen you post about it before.

I addressed this up thread. You must have missed it.

this comes from someone who has lived in the UK on/off since 1994. NOT based on OLD profiles

I've lived in the UK, was engaged to a Brit (who played tennis and badminton), still have friends there, and go back every chance I get.

But that's OFF TOPIC!

Edited by FitChick
I've lived in the UK, was engaged to a Brit (who played tennis and badminton), still have friends there, and go back every chance I get.

Then I'm surprised