Freaking out about finances and we arent even close to married! lol

Sundaymorning

Sundaymorning

My bf who is kind, loving, etc, of about 1 year, has different spending habits then i do. he just grad college and i am still in college. He just won 2500k, he will pay off a credit card bill and put the rest (1k) away. Oh but he wants to treat himself and buy a 200 guitar which he will get cheap on sale instead of it being 400$. I guess i worry that he will be like this when we get married. How do we deal with this (two ppl with diff spending habits) when we get married? i am a saver, spend only when i really need to and i sometimes splurge on movies or something. but very small. I am neurotic, ill admit it.

when we marry, i want him to save all, pay only those bills needed, and then when we discuss it, he can treat himself. but we have to resist debt.

Uhm, resisting debt is a good thing these days (ugh, wish I'd take my own advice..) but come on, a $200 guitar? Out of a 2.5k windfall thats not spending much on "frivolity" ;)

You can pinch pennies until they squeak and die having eaten cheap food and worn cheap clothing while your money languishes in a bank, unused. It is one thing to avoid major debt, quite another to spend a tenth of a windfall. Don't let your fear of debt turn you into Scrooge. Life is to be enjoyed. After all, the whole purpose of earning money is to be able to live well!!! It is my philosophy to put money by, yes, and to stay out of debt if possible (but, for instance, it's pretty hard to buy a house cash down) but to also spend a bit within reason on entertainment. Otherwise, where's the fun of life? You don't want to be a slave to the dollar!!! :eek:

Don't be like me. I was buying cheapo bread one day which usually does not have as much good-for-you stuff in it as some of the pricier breads. The difference in price was maybe seventy cents. And then I says to myself 'if the whole point of earning money is to have FOOD AND SHELTER then it's kind of stupid to then deny oneself the good food that'll keep you alive - which was the whole point of earning money in the first place!!!!! So buy the good bread and have a treat every now and then.