Tips for gaining weight?

I have no desire to be muscle bound and ripped. I am not big boned or stocky. I am nicely toned with a thin layer of fat to soften my look. I am 36-26-36 at my best weight, which I don't consider skinny. Everyone is different. Men seem to like my body!

• Author
I have no desire to be muscle bound and ripped. I am not big boned or stocky. I am nicely toned with a thin layer of fat to soften my look. I am 36-26-36 at my best weight, which I don't consider skinny. Everyone is different. Men seem to like my body!

I understand I think 150 would be the maximum I would like to have. For me 140 could be great.

• Author
5'8" @ 150 is fat?? You're nuts. My ex is 5'5", 130, solid muscle, not an ounce of fat on her (naturally, she had a great trainer =). I've trained with a pro fitness competitor, she was 5'8" 135 at CONTEST weight. If you want to be skinny and/or flabby, stay lighter. If you want to be solid, eat right, train hard, watch the tape measure not the scale, just know 150ish is an approx weight for a solid girl your height.

I stand behind The Zone Diet for everyone except real bodybuilders. You don't need higher protein than a 1/3rd unless you are taking some kind of drugs. If you ARE, then don't get your fitness and diet advice here, join a real bodybuilding forum.

I guess if I had 150 lbs and only fat I would look a little bit weird, especially if I would have it in my stomach :D. I think if I gained 150 lbs and it wouldn't be only fat, but muscles also, it can look good and I would like to have it in my breast, hips and arms.

If I had 140 I would feel happy.

Edited by Coffee20

If you want to look good, it's 50/50. 50% diet, 50% nutrition. One or the other won't get you there.

RiverRunning
I love eating Greek yogurt. It tastes better than ice cream and it's good for you.

At 5'8" she would be too fat at 150 lbs. I am that height and I keep my weight at 130 max. I am a somewhat small boned ectomorph hourglass. The fattest I've ever been in my life was 140 and my ass was huge!

Others have already pointed it out, but you obviously have a small frame. That said, even I can't claim to know if you appeared 'overweight' or not at 140, but I would imagine it was far more of a preference issue as opposed to being fat. My Body Gallery is often cited - I would say that most of the women I see at 5'8", 140 pounds on down, have light frames.

From 140+ pounds up, I wouldn't call most of the women cut (but most women who have defined abs anyway have less than 20% body fat), but they are certainly not fat. I'm 5'8" and striving for 160 - 170 pounds - but I don't come from a small family. I'm certainly not a person of a small frame.

Healthy weight at 5'8" is considered anywhere from 122 to 164 pounds, and it's not like doctors are going to be going ballistic if someone's within 5 or so pounds of that range.

Considering that the OP is already considered 'underweight,' it does sound in her particular case that getting to around 140 or 150 MAY, depending, be too heavy for her - if she's putting on fat. If she's putting on mostly muscle, though? Sounds fine.

Please could you give me some tips, how to gain weight? I have been always skinny, sometimes very skinny. I am 23 years old, but my body is like 15. I am quite tall but even if I try to eat regularly and exercise I keep losing my weight.

There are many ways to follow for gaining weight. You will need high fat food in your diet and eat meat as much as possible because it has lots of calories which will gain your weight. All dairy products can helps you.

Give attention to free weight exercises that target your large groups of muscles. For instance, you may need dumbells.

Free weights put the most force on muscle tissue and promote the maximum volume of muscle fibres.

The best weight training workouts for building muscle mass are free weight exercises such as dead lifts,squats, barbell rows,bench presses, pull ups and bar dips.

What kind of exercise are you doing? If you're goal is to gain weight, you might want to cut back on the cardio and start hitting the weights more.

Also, start eating higher calorie foods. A good way to ease into this might be to start drinking a large glass of whole milk and having a couple of spoonfuls of peanut butter before bed every night.

Actually eating before bed on a regular basis can give you digestive problems. I don't know if just a couple of spoonfuls of food would though. I'm not sure.

Coffee, this is off topic, but EEK! What happened to your Avatar? It was sooooo cute.:(

Actually eating before bed on a regular basis can give you digestive problems. I don't know if just a couple of spoonfuls of food would though. I'm not sure.

How so? Please elaborate.

• Author
Coffee, this is off topic, but EEK! What happened to your Avatar? It was sooooo cute.:(

CopingGal, oh really :D, I somewhat found it stupid :D, I will return to it then ;-)

• Author

I started to play tennis, is it a good idea for gaining some muscles on my shoulders? Actually it's the first sport I find really entertaining, so I would like to continue.

I started to play tennis, is it a good idea for gaining some muscles on my shoulders? Actually it's the first sport I find really entertaining, so I would like to continue.

Have you seen a professional tennis player's dominant arm? They tend to be well muscled (at least on that one arm).

I find tennis to be a ton of fun too. The most important thing in leading a healthy lifestyle is finding physical activities that you enjoy doing. You're much more likely to stick with them in the long term that way.