Do you work from home?

Oh, family business. That makes sense.

I think when people talk about 'working from home' they usually mean people who are self-employed or are working freelance/contractual based jobs. I suppose working for a family business that is based 'at home' is technically included, but we just didn't think of it.

Edited by Elswyth
orcunderabridge
Yeah, me neither. I usually try to take posts at face value, but if she were genuinely a 23-y-o who made nearly 20k/month working from home, I would most likely have heard of her, because it is enough of a rarity to make news. It also does not gel with the rest of her posts. :)

Perhaps this particular poster is lying but there are plenty of smart youngsters making well above 6 figures a year that you have never heard of and will most probably likely never hear of.

TV News doesn't show everything in the world :)

More and more people work from home these days, even if it's only a day or two per week. I think a lot more jobs could be done from home but aren't, due to habit and tradition. Bonus -- less traffic!

I might find it a bit too distracting. How do you stay focused? Do you set aside certain "office hours" to work? Do you have a room that is your home office? Do you bother getting dressed? Do you feel isolated?

My husband and I have our own business. We have a home office. He works in the field, I do the office work involved. When you work from home, you are more tempted to do non-work related things during "office hours", such as post on LS ;), but I also work evenings and weekends when necessary, so the job does get done. So there are pros and cons to it--you aren't tied to an office eight hours a day, but you also often do work evenings and weekends, and it's difficult to take a vacation when there is no one else to run your business for you. But I guess there were plenty of times I had to work evenings or weekends when I worked for other people as well. We do have a room that is our home office, with a desk, office equipment, office supplies, files, etc. And I have to admit that I do a lot of my work in my pajamas or loungewear. There is some amount of isolation, though, since there are no co-workers, no office parties, no company picnics, etc. Working from home has a lot of freedom and advantages, and I do believe they outweigh any disadvantages.

Perhaps this particular poster is lying but there are plenty of smart youngsters making well above 6 figures a year that you have never heard of and will most probably likely never hear of.

TV News doesn't show everything in the world :)

I know a few. They do not work for themselves, however, but rather in office (especially finance) environments and often with crazy hours. If someone is making that much working from home on their own merit at 23, they are usually an inventor of something that you would have heard of, ie FB. They would have sufficient innovative/entrepreneurial strength to overcome lack of experience and qualification, and that is incredibly rare.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a home-based business, in addition to work that takes me out of the house most weekends.

What drives me up a wall, are the friends who presume that just because I'm at home, working, it means that I can spend hours of time on the telephone, playing "Dear Abby" for whatever the Drama Du Jour is......:rolleyes:

I don't mind being supportive during a genuine crisis, but I had a couple of friends who really overdid it. (and yes, it was my fault , for allowing it)

I finally had to set strict boundaries , to not be taken advantage of, because it started to affect my productivity.