all out of patience

My eight year old daughter is going through mega separation anxiety. I have tried speaking to her about it but all she can say is she can't help it. It is so bad that she starts to panick the night before i have to work. Then during the morning as I leave for work she chases after my car screaming "Mom don't leave I will miss you too much" and she cries and screams hysterically. She is afraid that something bad will happen to me. She even calls my cell phone at least 15 times in the morning to make sure I am okay.

Has anyone ever gone through this before and if so what did you do? I am at my wits end. I am late for work almost everyday because I have to calm her down so she doesn't chase my car. Her older sister is not strong enough to keep her from leaving the house. She has seen a therapist to no avail and these symptoms usually last for 3 to 4 months before they subside for awhile. Please help!

separation anxiety and cycling of mood (including separation anxiety) are symptoms of early onset bipolar disorder (the kind of manic depression that a child has). without other info it's impossible for me to really suggest this as much of a possibility.

things like night terrors, bed wetting, carb cravings, violent behavior, disturbing (gruesome) thoughts, grandiose ideas, daredevil behavior, severe separation anxiety (especially the mother), very rapid mood cycles (highs and lows even within the same day) and more can all be part of this disease. bipolar children are often mislabeled: ADHD, depression, oppositional defiant disorder, obsessive compulsive disorder, or separation anxiety disorder.

lots of useful info can be found here, including a much more complete list of symptoms (click on the ABOUT link near the bottom of the page)

http://www.bpkids.org

stop by a bookstore and look at the book the bipolar child (if this even sounds like a remote possibility) and flip through it. it's a great resource.

This behavior does seem a bit extreme, especially in a child as old as 8. I would definitely investigate more medical causes for her behavior, such as echo suggested. Have you spoken with her pediatrician about it?

I agree. Rule out anything medical or psychological, then go from there. She may just be a drama queen. Girls are like that. Have you tried just talking to her and explaining that you have to work and that you are coming back? I have seen this a lot in younger children. They need reassurance and routine. Where does she go while you are at work? Does she feel secure in her environment? If you are doing everything you can do to make her secure while you are gone, and there are no medical or psychological issues, then you need to stick to your guns and do the same things in the same way until she gets used to it. Kids need to know what to expect. Reward her when she separates from you successfully for a period of time. Take her to her favorite place and do something special. You could use a stiker chart. Ten successful separations and you get something you like as a reward. That way, she can see those stickers of the wall and know that she is accomplishing success. Good luck.