What % of women wear makeup to work?

I pretty much wear my makeup all of the time. Sometimes I do wear less when going to work and that's because I'm really rushed in the morning. My coworker, whom I also worked with at my last job, doesn't wear any makeup in the morning for the same reason. She's not a morning person and there are all about 6 of us working here, including the boss. So no one to impress really. LOL

january2011

For work, I wear about 15+ products on my face, but no one 'notices' unless I'm wearing coloured (as opposed to neutral) lipstick or eyeshadow. It's a routine that I've developed since my late teens, refining application, adding/removing/updating products. I can get everything done in about 10-15 minutes.

For casual times, I usually go make-up free except for some lipbalm or add some concealer, powder and blusher.

Anything that provides colour rather than definition can look 'obvious' whether it's strong blusher, eyeshadow or lipstick - those tend to be the products that look the most noticeable on their own.

I would suggest that just because you can't see it, doesn't mean that it's not there.

• Like 1

I wear makeup to work everyday but not necessarily the same amount of makeup. Depends on my mood, where I'll be going, how much time I have in the morning. On weekends for shopping and errands, I always wear eyebrow pencil and lipstick at the very least.

I've stopped bothering with it unless I'm going somewhere all the other women will be looking hot. I don't like to feel like the ugly one, but at work, there are lots of ugly people.

for me...

powder for less shine throughout the day

lipgloss

blusher

eyeliner and eyeshadow ( only one colour each)

and lipgloss

no fundation/concealer tho...only for special occasion where i meet new people :love:

I don't usually leave the house without having at least put some concealer on.

Usually it's concealer, mascara, eyeliner and blush.

When going oou (or just feeling like it) I'll use foundation, concealer, powder, eyeshadow, eyeliner, mascara, blush and lipgloss/stick And possibly some glitter!

I have no idea of the percentage, but I certainly do wear it to work - which happens to be training dogs and taking care of a big farm & livestock.

I wear perfume every day too.

I just love that kind of stuff.

And the animals seem to appreciate that I take the time to look pretty for them. :)

:laugh::love:

I would suggest that just because you can't see it, doesn't mean that it's not there.

So true.

Both of these women are wearing primer, concealer (possibly two types), foundation (of some sort), setting powder, eyebrow pencil/powder, blush, eyeliner, eyeshadow, mascara, and lipstick/lip gloss, with one going a little heavier on the application than the other:

http://www.herworldplus.com/sites/default/files/laura%20mercier.jpg

(This is how Laura Mercier's line emphasizes makeup application, the "Flawless Face.")

Many men would probably think the gal on the right wasn't even wearing any makeup, when in reality, she's wearing a full face.

• Like 1

I'm confused by the initial list because I'm not actually sure what the difference between "cover up" and "concealer" is and why it excludes foundation. At any rate, I don't know many women my age (mid-20s) who wear lip liner or even eyeliner every day, even in the South, where I'd say wearing makeup to the office seems to be professional standard for most careers, including not front-facing or casual offices.

Foundation and lipstick or gloss are commonly worn. I can rarely tell when concealer is worn (when I can, it's not doing it's job) on younger women but I imagine it's worn when needed. A woman in her 20s is not likely to require concealer every day - it's more for when a blemish breaks out. I suppose someone with age lines might use it regularly, but depends on the foundation they choose, etc. You can kind of see concealer when it's covering age lines. Again, depends on the choice of makeup. Eye shadow seems to be 50/50 on the women I see.

For professionalism, I've only ever felt compelled to wear a bit of foundation/powder (mine is very light and doesn't seem like a lot of makeup to me -- I wear a mineral powder; just makes me look more polished) and some lip gloss or color so my lips don't look dead and my face looks professional and polished. I wore these two things every day in college as well, though I was also much more likely to wear eyeliner or eyeshadow then as young women can get away with crazy eye makeup more often (I find eye makeup fun, but the kind I like is not particularly professional -- I like really bright stuff).

As such, the idea that "foundation" is heavy or a lot of makeup seems odd to me. Heavy foundations exist, of course, but to me, a lighter foundation is the most low maintenance makeup. I can literally apply mine in less than 5 minutes, I look mostly the same but just a bit more polished, and voila. Another less-than-a-minute for lip gloss or lipstick, and a few minutes for eyeshadow if I'm in the mood. My makeup takes far less time than my hair (I probably spend 30 minutes on my hair a day, between blow drying and everything else) for sure.

As such, the idea that "foundation" is heavy or a lot of makeup seems odd to me. Heavy foundations exist, of course, but to me, a lighter foundation is the most low maintenance makeup.

I think of it is a lot of makeup because of the % of the face that is wearing cosmetics--basically 100%.

Do you recommend a particular light foundation?

Edited by xxoo

My basic, bare minimum routine is:

1) Toner

2) BB Cream (tinted moisturizer)

3) Lip balm or chapstick

If I have time, I'll start adding in this order of priority:

1) Foundation/powder

2) Eyeliner

3) blush

4) lip color

5) Bronzer/Highlighter

6) Eye shadow

7) Curl Lashes & apply Mascara

I tend to think of step 7 as the "heavy makeup" routine for me because I have thick, straight lashes. Normally if I have 30 extra seconds I might curl them, but I usually stop at steps 4 or 5 for the office.

I also have thick, full, coarse eye brows, so no need for eyebrow pencil (some people HAVE to include it, I happen to be one of those lucky ones that don't...just the pain of upkeep on trimming and waxing/plucking since it grows so goddarn fast).

It just differs from woman to woman; I don't spend a lot of time/effort/products/money on applicable makeup, but I'll spend a bit every month on "maintenance" like waxing and nails every once in a while.

I think of it is a lot of makeup because of the % of the face that is wearing cosmetics--basically 100%.

Do you recommend a particular light foundation?

I think of liners (lip or eye) as being heavy makeup, because they seem to make the most dramatic look difference -- overall, of course; the colors of other makeup can make them stand out more. I look 99% the same with or without my makeup.

The American brand I use is Bare Minerals. I use a Japanese brand some of the time, too. I can't type in Japanese on this keyboard, though.

So true.

Both of these women are wearing primer, concealer (possibly two types), foundation (of some sort), setting powder, eyebrow pencil/powder, blush, eyeliner, eyeshadow, mascara, and lipstick/lip gloss, with one going a little heavier on the application than the other:

http://www.herworldplus.com/sites/default/files/laura%20mercier.jpg

(This is how Laura Mercier's line emphasizes makeup application, the "Flawless Face.")

Many men would probably think the gal on the right wasn't even wearing any makeup, when in reality, she's wearing a full face.

Star, thank you for posting this. It drives me bonkers when dudes on here say how they love girls who wear no make up and then post a picture of like, Emma Stone on the red carpet :rolleyes: Sure she looks natural, but there's a face full of make up, which is NOT a bad thing. It's all about the application. My list of what I wear daily I think missed a few things, even, and I don't look like I wear loads of make up.

To the question about light foundation--I agree with Zen bare minerals is great, or a liquid foundation applied with a firm foundation brush as it will be buffed into your skin and not just sit on the surface. Looks very light and natural and it's how I do mine. I love love love blush and bronzer and all kinds of eyeshadows. My make up routine is full, and takes like 10-15 min depending on if its for work or a night out. :) Make up is fun. You just have to know how to put it on, which is easy to learn!

Edited by veggirl

I just wear tinted moisterizer and mascara, and curl my eyelashes. I also use vasaline or some lip moisterizer, as my lips get chapped and extra dry without it.

I get just as much attention when I wear that, than when I get a friend to do my make up; I do not know how to apply foundation or eye shaddow, I am shocking LOL.

I need to learn Veg girl:( I can put mascara on well! haha. NO clue how to do eye shaddow.

Occasionally I can do foundation, but have effed it up more times than not.... I like liquid ones? That do not cause dry skin?

I would like to make myself up to go out, but in general, I want people to be attracted to me for me, not a fake version.

My basic, bare minimum routine is:

1) Toner

2) BB Cream (tinted moisturizer)

3) Lip balm or chapstick

If I have time, I'll start adding in this order of priority:

1) Foundation/powder

2) Eyeliner

3) blush

4) lip color

5) Bronzer/Highlighter

6) Eye shadow

7) Curl Lashes & apply Mascara

I tend to think of step 7 as the "heavy makeup" routine for me because I have thick, straight lashes. Normally if I have 30 extra seconds I might curl them, but I usually stop at steps 4 or 5 for the office.

I also have thick, full, coarse eye brows, so no need for eyebrow pencil (some people HAVE to include it, I happen to be one of those lucky ones that don't...just the pain of upkeep on trimming and waxing/plucking since it grows so goddarn fast).

It just differs from woman to woman; I don't spend a lot of time/effort/products/money on applicable makeup, but I'll spend a bit every month on "maintenance" like waxing and nails every once in a while.

Lol!! I also have LONGG but straight lashes... To look attractive, I need to wear mascara and curl them!

Literally - besides tinted moisterizer and cleansing my face, mascara is all I do, and a chapstick.

Macara and curling my lashes makes me instantly more attractive, where as other steps make minimal difference in terms of attractivness

However...

I DO

- use fake tan. I am extremely white otherwise. I just like a bit of a glow.

- shave legs and body every 3rd day

- get my eye brows professionally waxed.

If I did not get my eye brows waxed or use mascara, I would be literally ugly. Maybe a 5/10 at BEST.

However, doing as little as waxing my eye brows, and then wearing mascara every day and a chap stick on my lips, I go from a 4/10 to a 7/10 or higher when Iam super fit.

Lol!! I also have LONGG but straight lashes... To look attractive, I need to wear mascara and curl them!

Literally - besides tinted moisterizer and cleansing my face, mascara is all I do, and a chapstick.

Macara and curling my lashes makes me instantly more attractive, where as other steps make minimal difference in terms of attractivness

It appears that you wear fake eyelashes, not just mascara.

Right, each one is different and therefore different requirements for make-up (or no make up). I'm over 40, work in an office where no one will see me the whole day, meet my colleagues just for coffe breaks. So I am not doing it for them or for any customers, which I never see in a mile. Just for myself or maybe my kids whom I drive to school? Anyway, I use

powder or on bad skin days - foundation,

bronzer for blush,

liquid eye shadow,

mascara (got light colour lashes),

lip gloss,

hair spray.

The same for shopping days and my free days when I go to walk my dogs (out to the countryside, not many people to meet in the way). Probably its for my own comfort.

It appears that you wear fake eyelashes, not just mascara.

I wore those once for a photo shoot in a magazine once laste year, for some quick cash. Not something I have done again, Just met the right person at the right time.

I took a few facebook pics of them to remember what they looked like, for fun:) I posted one up here, too.

Those eyelashes looked bad I thought. My natural ones in the oher pic look better!

I think of liners (lip or eye) as being heavy makeup, because they seem to make the most dramatic look difference -- overall, of course; the colors of other makeup can make them stand out more. I look 99% the same with or without my makeup.

The American brand I use is Bare Minerals. I use a Japanese brand some of the time, too. I can't type in Japanese on this keyboard, though.

Thanks! I'm familiar with Bare Minerals, but it seems so expensive if the difference is that slight. I currently spend about this much on face products a year: eyebrow powder (3.99), cocoa butter stick (5.00), maybe 4 lip colors (.99-7.99 each), concealer stick (2.99), mascara (9.99). Buying bare minerals once would nearly double my makeup budget for the year :laugh:

Edited by xxoo
Stupid Girl

I don't wear excessive makeup as listed in the OP, but I do wear makeup everyday to work:

-moisturizer

-lip gloss

-curl eyelashes + mascara (clear or coloured, depending)

-blush

I'd probably be one of those girls you don't consider to wear anything, however, since it's pretty subtle.

As to the list you provided, I don't think I've met any woman who wore that particular combination of makeup. But as to the % of women at my office who wear excessive makeup, I'd say it's pretty low, paybe 5%.

For real?? I wear makeup at work. It is business!!! But I think it also depends on the job you are having. If you wear makup, it shows that you care about yourself. I even think you get more successful in job when wearing makup.

Female co-workers wear makeup around me! I wear makup all day until I get home!