should I have male clients or only female?

A business reserves the right to refuse business to anyone.

Not true. Businesses can refuse service for almost any reason (or no reason) with exceptions. Those exceptions are race, religion, gender, national origin, and disability/perceived disability.

Absolutely not true. A business cannot refuse to do business with someone on the basis of their gender.

Explain fitness chains that only sign up women smart guy... oh wait the federal government can't stick its nose in because it doesn't interfere with interstate commerce they have a reason. No one said she wants to open up a whites only road side diner.

OP you're perfectly with in your rights to only take women if thats what you decide. If you don't mind men and like them then you should just tell your husband it will be ok.

Explain fitness chains that only sign up women smart guy...

There are no fitness chains that lawfully EXCLUDE men, smart guy.

OP you're perfectly with in your rights to only take women if thats what you decide.

OP, I suggest you seek the advice of an attorney admitted in your state, rather than Dust, as he doesn't know what he's talking about.

OP, I suggest you seek the advice of an attorney admitted in your state, rather than Dust, as he doesn't know what he's talking about.

Only a fool would go to an attorney for such a small matter. She could just ask the orinization that licenses her profession for the word on the issue.

Oh and attornies as an example don't tell me you've never seen a mens divorce law firm...

Oh and attornies as an example don't tell me you've never seen a mens divorce law firm...

SPECIALIZING in something particular to one gender is not the same as EXCLUDING the other gender.

If you make it known that you specialize in representing men in divorce and custody proceedings, women naturally won't want to come to you and won't. That's quite different from outright refusing to do business with women.

Only a fool would go to an attorney for such a small matter. She could just ask the orinization that licenses her profession for the word on the issue.

Actually, only a fool would open themselves up to such obvious litigation without speaking with a licensed attorney for guidance. Further, ignorance of the law is no defense.

Actually, only a fool would open themselves up to such obvious litigation without speaking with a licensed attorney for guidance. Further, ignorance of the law is no defense.

Only a fool would pay an attorney for advice you can get for free and codified in writing from your local business bureau or trade union.

Only a fool would pay an attorney for advice you can get for free and codified in writing from your local business bureau or trade union.

Hmm. Then why are you WRONG about the law? ;)

Hmm. Then why are you WRONG about the law? ;)

I'm not you're arguing something different then what I'm saying. I'm saying she can, you're saying she can't... beyond that we're having very different conversations.

Oh you two.... get a room.... give each other a soothing shoulder-rub....!:D

thanks tara that sounds good i will try a male receptionist i was not going to even have a receptionist before you said that because it was more a home business and i thought i could answer phones for it instead

Since it's more of a home business, why don't you have a separate line for your business, and just screen your calls? Have your husband record the voicemail in the following format:

"Thank you for calling (insert name of your business here). Please leave your name, phone number, and your preferred massage course of 30, 45, or 60 minutes and we will call back as soon as possible to discuss your appointment time."

If they're serious client prospects, they'll leave a number regardless of the man on the voicemail. The "preferred course" line is of course optional, but I figured that might be something that would help you schedule your appointments. My beautician often does that; when I call her I let her know what I exactly need so she knows whether to schedule me for a hour slot or if the services I need would take longer.

• Like 1
Since it's more of a home business, why don't you have a separate line for your business, and just screen your calls? Have your husband record the voicemail in the following format:

"Thank you for calling (insert name of your business here). Please leave your name, phone number, and your preferred massage course of 30, 45, or 60 minutes and we will call back as soon as possible to discuss your appointment time."

If they're serious client prospects, they'll leave a number regardless of the man on the voicemail. The "preferred course" line is of course optional, but I figured that might be something that would help you schedule your appointments. My beautician often does that; when I call her I let her know what I exactly need so she knows whether to schedule me for a hour slot or if the services I need would take longer.

This is all in all a brilliant idea. in the message I would include something like:

"Please note that if this is your first appointment, you should allow one hour in order to assess your general health, medical history and any ailments or complications which might affect your treatments."

That would leave them in no doubt that you are a serious therapist.

Back in the day when i was practising, having a second line would have been a problem, but now I wouldn't hesitate. Good one, shorty7.