4 months, the scale is the same

BewitchedandBothered

Hi!!! In October, I joined a gym. I have inactive thyroid and had gained weight and decided finally to do something about it. I go to the gym 6 days a week and work out for 2 hours with a trainer and classes mixed in. Lots of cardio and strength. Physically feeling strong and much better than when I was diagnosed.

I got measured and weighed yesterday and I have lost 25.5 inches off my body. According to the scale, fat went down, muscle went up. But weight is still the same.

I have been good with my diet; gave up all the junky things I loved so much and making sure I consume enough 'fuel' before and after workouts. Pretty much by the book here.

What in heck is going on with my weight? I called the Dr and he said my last bloodwork was impressive since attending the gym as well and thyroid levels are doing well with the medication (synthroid).

Cholesterol went down, good cholesterol went up, fat count went way down. Any takers on this one? Do I need to starve myself or something? Cut out an egg from my breakfast? Thanks for your input:)

First of all, congrats on your body recomposition.

Secondly, relax! Muscle is more dense than fat. It's entirely possible to lose fat mass and gain scale weight from lean mass increase. If you're gaining strength/muscle mass and losing size, then your scale weight is of almost zero importance.

As the saying goes: if it ain't broke, don't fix it. If you stall out with your fat loss efforts, you may need to tweak your diet a little bit or re-examine your training. Either way, obsessing over your scale weight will get you nowhere.

Do you look better in the mirror? Are you wearing smaller clothes?

The numbers on the scale aren't the holy grail of body transformation. Muscle is more dense than fat, so as you've lost so many inches and gained strength it's likely you've lost a lot of fat and gained a lot of muscle. That's fantastic progress.

Keep doing what you'e doing until your fat loss stalls, then re-evaluate your goals.

It's possible you gained a LOT of muscle weight and that replaced all the fat that you lost that WOULD have appeared on the scale as a decrease in poundage. If your measurements are less and you are in smaller clothing then I wouldn't worry about it.

I personally am an advocate for the scale, but it can't be the ONLY factor in how to evaluate weight loss.

First of all, congrats on your body recomposition.

Secondly, relax! Muscle is more dense than fat. It's entirely possible to lose fat mass and gain scale weight from lean mass increase. If you're gaining strength/muscle mass and losing size, then your scale weight is of almost zero importance.

As the saying goes: if it ain't broke, don't fix it. If you stall out with your fat loss efforts, you may need to tweak your diet a little bit or re-examine your training. Either way, obsessing over your scale weight will get you nowhere.

This.

Sounds like you've had great progress! Enjoy the beginner honeymoon period, as time goes by you won't be able to lose fat and gain muscle simultaneously.

Who cares about the scale? Feeling good in your own skin is all that matters at the end of the day.