women: your best weights?

My girlfriend is a nurse and chuckes over these 'eating disorders'. She says that in any given day she she's a dozen people who have medical issues in part because of being overweight...in contrast she rarely ever sees anyone who is underweight unless it is caused by drug abuse or some medical condition like cancer.

I know 2 people who died as a result of anorexia; one was 19 years old(a daughter of dear friends) when she passed away and the other one made it into her 30's.

If your girlfriend finds this horrible disease "chuckle" worthy, I think she might be in the wrong profession.

If you look back at Leigh's extensive posting history, you will see that she's had a very difficult time dealing with food and with her image of her body, and that her obsessions with those things have pretty much consumed her entire youth.

Certainly there are far more people who show their messed up relationship with food through obesity than there are anorectics or bulimics. The latter are not funny, though. Horrible, in fact.

My girlfriend is a nurse and chuckes over these 'eating disorders'. She says that in any given day she she's a dozen people who have medical issues in part because of being overweight...in contrast she rarely ever sees anyone who is underweight unless it is caused by drug abuse or some medical condition like cancer.

I don't know what things are like where you live, but my friends in the medical profession down here certainly don't find eating disorders to be a laughing matter. They wreck havoc on people's bodies, shutting down vital functions. Good for you if you don't live in an area where it's a concern. Don't assume that's the case everywhere. My sister works in obstetrics and both obesity and eating disorders are causes for concern. Eating disorders increase the risk of long term infertility, the risk of miscarriage, the health of the baby when pregnancy is achieved, etc.

Leigh, I'm glad you realize there's a lower limit to your healthy weight range. But in this thread alone, you swerve dramatically from accepting and even seeming loving your body the way it is to being envious of people who have different body types from you. I agree with the posters who pointed out that these threads are enabling you to stay stuck in disordered thinking.

• Author

I am happy with my body:)

I am more concernerd with looking fit and great - working out every day is a hobby, because it i sjust something that matters a lot to me - to look fit and sexy when your young...

I am not really disordered as such; I see my body for what it is, I am thrilled and very gracious that, not only do I love my shape an enough with my si.. hoze, I also have two working legs, the basics... I am very lucky and thankful....

I am not disordered... at all. I do prefer petite body types, asthetically speaking.. but that is a mere visual preferece for me. NOthing that makes me hate my own body:)

I guess every one, for instance: a girl with a flat butt, may look at curvy butts and be like " wow they are sexy, I prefer that look over my little flat one!"...

People can apprecite the look of things thet do not pocess, without hating their own bodies.

I am just interested regarding what are healthy, stable, but yeh slim weights for various body types.

I am interested, because that one doctor thinks people have some set point, where they are healthy, where anything below IS NOT healthy.

I am skeptical that only 2% of women can be healthy at BMI 20 or lower, because BMI 20, for me, is a smoking hot and skim weight, but not unhealthy looking in any way.

It seams as though, some women loo healthy at a given weight, but cannot get heir periods and their bodies seam to need extra eight on them.

I get confused, because I always had period trouble, PCOS, and so I never have known at what weight I get my periods..... So that is why I take caution to the fact, that I should try to be a heavier version of " slim", so as to ensure my body is still healthy.

Most people have no clue, due to lack of experience with ED'S... the thing is, many women CAN maintain a too low weight for their body types, AND NOT get an ED.. Where as others, like me, get an Eating disorder, once we lose too much weight ( when combined with othert triggers)

A LOT of women, possibly even D- lish, maintain a teeny 115 lbs at 5 ' 7: She admitted she eats like a bird, and works out like crazy...

Does that mean that body wweight is healthy for her and other women who eat little, and work out heaps?

That is my topic of discussion.. to what point, can u healthily menipulate your body type?

The doctor I spoke with, says that research shows that only 2 % of women, the naturally tiny bones, fast metabolismed women, who have ALWAYS been a stick, are the group that are NATURALLY" thin" and healthy beiing thin..

If I work out every day, albiet the odd day off once every week, and eat sensibly, but by no meansd a health freak... I can be 120 lbs, even with a very curvy, muscular, thicker body type. not very thick, but I am solid, by no means frail or a tiny build.

This doctor is convinced, and sais it has been proven, that even if women eat healthily and work out a lot, that attaining a slim size may LOOK great, but it is not indeed HEALTHy for MOST people.....

That is why I like to see, what a HEALTHy version of SLIM is, and what women are willing to do, in order to be thin.

Personally, I would rather eat the food I want and over eat occasionally, and work out most days, and look hot, than have to be ULTRA healthy, and not enjoy food often, and work out like a total lunatic....

I think I have found a great balance, where I am slim, but in a very curvy healthy way; where I can basically eat what I want, within reason, and just work out a little.

A lot of women do not necessarily STARVE: they eat at least 1600 calories a day... but they work out A LOT.. and, as a result, they are very thin.

I ate about 1800 calories a day, and worked out a lot, and was 112 lbs at 5 ' 5.. this LOOKED good, but I learnt that it GIVES ME AN EATING DISORDER, because my brain stops functioning well when I get to a weight that is too thin for me.

In other words; women without eating disorders, are too thin, but do not knwo it, because being thin is attractive ( as long as u are not very small for a large build), and it NEVER occurs to women that they should be a healthy BUT SLIM weight for their body type, without having to be perfect....

Leigh, you can have eating disordered thinking without hating your body or being too thin. How much you think, write, and talk about food and weight is alarming.

Spending this many words microanalyzing calories and weights and body types--is not normal. You are WAY overfocused on your appearances. You have dozens and dozens of posts on LS describing your facial features, hair, body, and small changes in weight (10-15# fluctuations) over time. The focus is disordered thinking, even if your current feeling are positive ones.

Leigh, you can have eating disordered thinking without hating your body or being too thin. How much you think, write, and talk about food and weight is alarming.

Spending this many words microanalyzing calories and weights and body types--is not normal. You are WAY overfocused on your appearances. You have dozens and dozens of posts on LS describing your facial features, hair, body, and small changes in weight (10-15# fluctuations) over time. The focus is disordered thinking, even if your current feeling are positive ones.

I would agree with this. I struggle with an eating disorder as well, and although I have not actually been ACTIVE in my eating disorder, my thoughts about weight, exercise, and food are still obsessive. Like with any addiction, the physical properties and acts of addiction can go away, but the psychological effects are always going to be there. I have noticed since I got pregnant that my thoughts are a LOT more obsessive then they used to be and I'm looking in to going to see someone because I feel like I'm going nuts. I'm not active in my eating disorder, but the obsessive thoughts are still there..I'm just not acting on them.

I would encourage you to do the same thing Leigh, we don't have to be trapped with these obsessive thoughts forever.

• Like 1

At the start of this year I was 156 pounds, now I am 135 pounds :) I'm a 5ft 9 female. All I did was use myfitnesspal on my iPhone, it worked a treat. I've stuck to 1200 calories a day other than a few cheat meals, and worked out a few nights a week for half an hour or so on my exercise bike or rowing machine, and done a few toning exercises, nothing extreme. I didn't measure my inches beforehand, but now I'm 36 - 28 - 36.

For me, right now, I'm at my best. I wouldn't mind losing another few pounds so I'm within 9 stone and 9.5 stone, but I've come so far so quickly I'm enjoying my newly slim body. I did weigh this much in the summer of 2010 but put a lot of weight on when I moved into my own place, ate too much, went on medication and lost my mother. Then I decided enough was enough, I wanted my old clothes to fit and to look in the mirror and love what I saw again. So I ate less, did more and now I feel fabulous, my confidence is through the roof and I'm proud of what I've achieved. At 156 pounds I hated how I looked, I was disappointed in myself and I also had a problem with food; I'm vegan so I eat mostly healthy, homemade food but I ate HUGE portions and too much vegan junk food, I'd binge and then hate myself etc. but seeing the actual numbers on a screen made it so easy to cut down and I couldn't be happier.

I agree with Kamille. Leigh, you have a lot of better things to be spending your mental energy on than thinking about BMI's and body type / shapes. This very thread is a signal that your disorder is gaining on you.

Please don't yell at me. I am not insulting you. I am concerned.

• Author

I have no disorder, regarding my weight. At all.

I simply have not discovered enough new interest to talk about, so I revert back to talking about what I know BEST: weight issues.

I genuinly do want to be a personal trainer, as working out is a passion of mine, and my knowledge of body and weight and body types means I WILL NEVER let any client develope an ED.

MANY personal trainers, TO MY DETRIMENT, do NOT NOW WTF THEY R ON ABOUT. They think any person can lose to the lowest weight for them, when in fact, BMI 20 is too low for most people.

I went on to develope an eating disorder, when it could have been stopped; I had trainers compliment me, say it was just " my body type" to be thin.. YEAH RIGHT.

SO, it has not been in vain at all, as it will greatly help me in one career I am going to build, my training.

however, I have my knowledge for now, and I no longer research it, because i already know more than enough regarding weight etc....

I do not research or r ead about it, besides from this thread on here. I genuinely am interested, as to what women think is acceptable, based on their body type and other factors.

And I also like to bring attention to the fact that it is not healthy for most slim women; they just eat little and work out heaps, when they wuld truly be healthier at sligthly heavier weights.

I can be thinner if I eat less and work out more, without starving or suffering.. but I have learnt that it is still not optimally healthy, based on medical evidence.

Therefore, I am glad I canat least say what I know to be a fact, in the hope that just one women will read this, and think twice about their predicament. Perhaps there open mindesness, and urge to be healthy ABOVE vanity, will have them gain a few pounds.

Luckily, only one poster, I suspect, is prob a bit too thin for that is 100% healthy for them. The rest of the posters here seam to have realistic and healthier goals.

• 4 weeks later...

For me the average is between 123-130 (at my heaviest). If I could get back to 125, I'd be happy.

When I was 123, I worked out for 45 min nearly every day and cooked at home all the time. I gained 20lbs working at a coffee shop, lost 13 of it, so I still have about another 5-7 pounds to go. I work out on my machine at least 5 times a week for 20-30 minutes and try to eat oatmeal in the morning, a small to medium sized lunch and have a good dinner. I'm trying to find the best weight and the most reasonable workout methods that will fit my busy schedule and a weight that will be realistic to maintain.

Edited by setsenia

I'm 5 feet tall and weigh 105. I think I look best at 100, but I'm not terribly unhappy with my weight. I think I just look "healthy" this way.

perfectlyflawed459

I am in the best shape of my life currently. I am 5ft 2in and weigh 110 pounds. I am a distance runner and like to do some weights in order to help stay lean and firm. I also drink lots of green tea, snack on granola bars when I feel hungry during the day, and eat lots of salads and sea food for dinner. I use to weigh 135 not too long ago, but once I started getting into my current eating and excersising habits, it has really helped me drop the weight and stay in shape. This worked out for me and I hope that maybe this will help others who are trying to get in better shape :)

I am 5'8", and have a large frame. I look best around 155 lbs, which puts me at a size 8.

But I don't think weight is a good thing to compare, because people carry their weight in different ways and different places. One woman can look awesome and fit at 160 while another will look like a blob at that weight. One woman can look great at 110 while another would look unhealthily thin.

The best thing is to go by how you look and feel, not what the scale says.

There's a website out there called My Body Gallery. You can put in a height/weight/body type and other info and get photos of women in your range.

It's interesting. Some of the women in my range look great, and others look very large.

I won't link to it since I don't think it is allowed, but you can Google it.

RiverRunning

Hoohoohoo boy. Is there a SINGLE overweight or obese woman to post here yet? All you healthy folk are scaring us off :D

5'8", large frame, a bit over 200 pounds.

Most people don't know how much I weigh. My sister-in-law weighs about 190 pounds, has a small frame and stands at about 5'5". She's forevermore asking me how much I weigh, making comments like, "You're even skinnier than me. You're probably 175 or 180, right?" She doesn't believe me, invariably I have to climb onto a scale to prove it to her, etc.

The big difference between us is that I work out a lot (and always had more muscle on my body to begin with). My sister-in-law, unfortunately...is just pretty blobby. She looks best between 110 - 120 pounds.

I imagine I would probably be at my ideal size between 150 and 160 pounds. I want a more muscular body. I'm not going for skinny. And I would be happy just to settle in at 170 or 180 pounds. I don't mind being slightly overweight. Most people who are 10 pounds overweight according to the BMI usually don't look overweight to me anyhow.

• Author
I agree with Kamille. Leigh, you have a lot of better things to be spending your mental energy on than thinking about BMI's and body type / shapes. This very thread is a signal that your disorder is gaining on you.

Please don't yell at me. I am not insulting you. I am concerned.

I am just bored and have nothing better to do- my disorder is actually dead. I am a 130, heaviest I have been in 6 years, no longer thin, abnd I really could not give a ****. Seriously.

I have no urge to starve, restrict, or feel bad about myself because I am not at my fighting fittest. I much prefer being sexy, as it makes sex better with my boyfriend, because I show my body off and it makes him more horny.

WIth ED'S, you tend to know if they are gaining on you, as you put it. YOu get a sense of dread, anxiety, fear, and you let your weight dictate your mood.

I no longer care about my weight; I prefer being thin, but it is not the be all or end all. However, thanks for your concern.

I do actually need to know what weighrs work best for diff body types on women, as I am a personal trainer and am about to get back into the work force. I need to know what is realistic for women. I already kn

RiverRunning

I really do think women way overestimate how thin a man wants them to be. But I also think that's because so many of us who are 130 pounds tell a man we're 110 or 120 pounds, so of course a woman who's 150+ lbs. is going to sound like a cow to him. He's probably thinking of...well, someone my size when he calls up that amount. Then he states his preference for a woman of a certain weight, women try to get down to that size, and...on and on.

I'd like to lose more of my belly but at the end of the day if I've always got a bit of the Buddha going on, it's just cushion for the pushin'. Oh. And it's going to help me look younger when I get older :D

• 1 month later...
WilliamsTaylor

This is true we should go with fat measurement instead of tape measurement. I agree with Star Gazer's opinion.