Dumped: She wants to focus on her business

I am three days old in being single.

I was dating a beautiful, caring woman for six months. She owns a retail fashion store and has been in business for a year and a half. She is an immigrant who borrowed a lot of money from family and friends in Vietnam to open the store and she is under pressure to pay this back.

She said she loves me, although the whole time, she did not want to call us boyfriend and girlfriend. We were "dating exclusively."

She said she thought she was ready for a relationship. She thought she could run a business and be with me but now she says she can't.

That she couldn't just pretend to not stress about her business and be with me, especially since I'm not capable of directly helping and steering her business. I have my own career.

She said she is not ready to have the pressure of being obligated to someone

and that she doesn't want responsibility over my feelings.

Yes, I used to bug her over what she was doing when she wasn't with me. She said I was well within my rights, but she doesn't want that pressure anymore.

She says she still loves me but our lives are different.

This is the first time I've ever been dumped in this way. Where there was no fight, no betrayal. Just a decision to do something else.

It's been so difficult to deal with. It's hard for me to move on, especially when she continues to say that she loves me, and that she hasn't loved anyone since her divorce more than two years ago.

I know I have to move on. But knowing that she loves me, but just can't be with me, is a hard reality for me to face and accept.

• Author

I am just devastated.

I asked her if I could at least see her for Christmas. Just for that day. She couldn't give me an answer in person.

So I texted her that I just need a yes or no answer. Christmas is the day you share with the ones you love, and I want to share it with her.

She said no.

I've initiated no contact. This is going to be the hardest Christmas ever, now that I know I'll be spending it alone. My family is nowhere near me.