Would you stay friends with someone that made a rude comment about your weight?

Lurker1983

Many many years ago after a breakup I gained a few pounds..maybe 10

My uncle asked me if i had gained the weight so none would look at me and love me.

I reflected on that for a long time. Sure like you I felt hurt but you know what to this day I am grateful for his comments because they were true.

Try to figure out why your friends comment is hurting so much and try to work on that.

Don't resent your friend for what she said. It is rare in this world when someone can be really honest with you. Consider you self lucky.

PS.. my uncle was right

What your uncle said wasn't true at all. Yes, being thinner will help you find men because more men prefer a thinner body. But what an incredibly cruel, ignorant and thoughtless thing to say to somebody.

Ten extra pounds is not going to chase the men off. If you had gained significantly more, I MIGHT say something out of concern for that person's health. I'd moreso be worried it's a sign of depression, and I would try to encourage the friend to get active again so they could start feeling better about themselves.

My grandmother harped on my weight all while I was growing up. Now she's whining, all alone in her apartment, because I never visit her. I wonder why?

Would you ladies stay friends that said that to you? I tried to get over it, but I just can't do it. A real friend doesn't bring you down like that.

kind of. it would depend on if they kept acting like that. you're right that she wasn't being a real friend by saying something like that.

she was probably lashing out at you because she was down on herself. sometimes good friends act like jerks though. she might change over time, but for now you're right to think it was lame.

i think you should distance yourself while she's being like that.