, feeling overwhelmed

Veryconfused12345

Veryconfused12345

Help help help! I've been no contact with my ex for several weeks and while I'd like to say I'm handling it ok, I'm really really not. Today is apparently not a good day.

He messaged a bunch of my friends explaining what's happened and it sounds like there's been this whole warped narrative in his mind where any conflicts we've had over the past 2 years have gone into this backlog of proof of why I didn't love of appreciate him. I feel awful, like the entire relationship has been twisted. I can't even move forward from this because it's like he's redefined the entire dynamic. He said he couldn't have been more in love with me but it seemed I was never content with him-for the record, I was absolutely head over heels in love with him. I could really use some support right now because I feel like I've overnight become this villian who abused and hurt him. I have to admit, I've been holding out hope that this would get better and he'd come back. I feel even worse than I did when this all fell apart... Please help.

If they're YOUR friends, then surely they know the truth and believe you over him, so don't fret about that. His reasons for doing this could be anything and it is quite immature. People hurt enough during break ups without adding to the pain by acting like that. Maybe his own hurt is causing him to say these things, I don't know, no one does.

The fact is, you know the truth and so do your friends and family. Ex's can get bitter after a break up and do much worse stuff (a friend's ex went round to his house, burnt all his clothes and destroyed all his kids toys too, even though it was her that had cheated on him). Yeah it hurts now but talk to your friends and if they are real friends, then they should tell this guy to leave them alone and take his lies elsewhere.

• Author
Veryconfused12345

Thanks so much for your response, I'm so grateful for any insight into this.

You're right, I'm not worried about him making my friends think badly of me, they are technically siding with me here. I just don't know how to stop him thinking of me as the bad guy. The truth is I was absolutely smitten with him throughout our relationship. We were planning a life together. And then we had 2 weeks of turbulence and he turned around and it had been like I had been abusing him for years. I know people are raw when they break up but I have given him every opportunity to recover what we had.

I've humbled myself, I've become an anxious mess, I've reached out to him again and again. And now he's saying that it's evident I never loved him and he just tried to give me everything. What makes it worse is in the same email he professes just how much he loved me and that he wanted to spend the rest of his life with me.

It's seriously affected me now. I should want to walk away but any indication that I can fix this makes me come running back. I don't know how to let go and I feel like I've been emotionally abused...