Are work promotion or raise a right or a privilege?

Bittersweetie

You know, writing all this stuff out did make me wonder if there was a pattern that had to do with me. And actually today at work my manager wants me to do something that I really do not want to do or even be a part of; I feel it would be taking yet another step back from where I was just two months ago. I need to think about how I am going to approach this so not to fall into the same trap again. It's just challenging because I don't want to push back too hard since I'm still only a temp and getting a job in my current industry is pretty darn difficult.

Thanks for giving me some food for thought though!

• Author
RecordProducer
You know, writing all this stuff out did make me wonder if there was a pattern that had to do with me. And actually today at work my manager wants me to do something that I really do not want to do or even be a part of; I feel it would be taking yet another step back from where I was just two months ago. I need to think about how I am going to approach this so not to fall into the same trap again. It's just challenging because I don't want to push back too hard since I'm still only a temp and getting a job in my current industry is pretty darn difficult.

Thanks for giving me some food for thought though!

Oh, you're more than welcome - and you too gave me some food for thought and information I was not aware of. Once, I asked the Dean of my school what is it that makes you successful in the legal field, and he said "It's all about how you market yourself. Of course, at the end of the day, you have to deliver the product." Our career counselors tells us all the time "It's ot about what you know but who you know." There's also another saying "Dress for the position you want to have." I transform that one into 'act for the position you want to have,' i.e. if you want to be a leader, show leadership skills. But this is just in theory; in practice, people are people and sometimes they care more about their personal interests than anything else.