What would make you happier - making $120k part-time or $250k+ full-time?

Very cynical and short-sighted view, IMO. People who can create wealth can afford the free time to do what they love, including being generous with their time and good energy.

Reason > sentiment. So if Bill Gates had not obsessively pursued domination of the microcomputer software market with his every waking moment in the early-mid 80s, and had instead spent his "spare" time doing direct charity, how large and influential would the Gates Foundation be today? It might not even exist.

The part of my post you quoted expressly acknowledged people doing charity for their own pleasure, you even quoted that part. It still doesn't make working in a soupline an efficient use of one's time who is blessed with the rare gift of multiplying wealth. To make a real difference, those few people should make piles of money and then pay others to actually ladle out the soup. Simple opportunity cost analysis, not cynical at all, and I'm not the one with a shortsighted view.

Edison did 10,0000 times more for the human condition working for profit in a lab than he could ever have done wasting his time in a homeless shelter.

Edited by dasein

Ignorant comment. This guy started out in business in New York, and transformed several major companies from underperformers to industry leaders. Then he wrote a book about how to transform your own career from lame to superstar. Then he moved on to advising business owners and entrepreneurs on how to do this themselves. He's amazing at what he does, loves it, has total freedom, and makes a ton of money. I consider him a business development genius -- and I do not use the word genius lightly, at all.

I don't doubt there's some very smart guys who can help you make a difference and are worth their money out there, but it's a world populated by snakeoil salesmen. If you put chances of paying a ton for crap advice that might even damage your company at 80% (a low estimate imo), the good guy must be worth at least 5 times his costs to make up for his colleagues. I just don't see that being the case, as from the genius' perspective he would be undercharging.

Very cynical and short-sighted view, IMO. People who can create wealth can afford the free time to do what they love, including being generous with their time and good energy.

Maybe it is cynical, but that doesn't make it wrong. If you make 150$/hour, your opportunity cost for doing 2 hours of charity is 300$. While you may be slightly better or work a bit faster than other people, I'm sure you hiring other people for 200$ for 10 hours of their work would benefit the charity more.

I know a guy who probably makes millions a year and doesn't even work. My father never made over 250k a year and he worked all the time even many weekends. More work doesn't always equal more money. Do what makes you happy. 250k+ could force most people into 40hrs plus work but if thats not for you 120k for part time work is amazing. I should come do what you're doing if its so profitable!