Young people who don't drink, smoke and party

It's really difficult when you are completely surrounded by such a culture.

Myself, I'm a pleasure drinker. I like what I'm drinking but I don't drink to get drunk And drugs are completely out of the question.

I was actually out with a few girlfriends once and we met some people and all were chatting it up, having a nice time. But because I don't stay out all night or drink til I black out or other such things, I was basically ostracized. So it can be hard but you're definitely not the only one.

As evidenced by all these replies.

I didn't do any of that stuff back in the day when I still went to high school. ( "The late 90s? That was forever ago!!" ) Never really got a drive to go and get trashed just to make friends who get trashed. I always wanted friends who I could stand to be around during the day, too.

Don't get me wrong. I was woefully unpopular and seen as a goody two shoes nerd who didn't take any chances. I just didn't care. I prefer a pizza, video games, and semi-intelligent goof-offery over spending my night with my face hovering over the toilet.

The illusion that you can totally knock yourself out, just to give others the impression that you're having a good time, is difficult to maintain. When you're done with college and looking for a job, nobody else will really care if you're having a good time or not.

But a few of the kids I went to school with, DID try to maintain the illusion... now everyone else thinks they're just jerks, and they all walk around with a sour look on their faces (which are discolored yellowish gray from all the booze and cigarettes).

Coolness doesn't have a shelf life of more than 4 years, apparently...

Didn't participate, rather choosing to work (yeah, in high school and college) and build my business. At the other end, definitive results are unclear. I know plenty of people my age who dealt drugs, partied, smoked, drank, had wanton sex and are now leaders of the community, wealthy business people, and successful family leaders. Both men and women. Sure, there are some horror stories, but such horror evidently is not pre-ordained. As a point of reference, I entered college in 1977.

My single most pronounced memory of that era was one of feeling 'alone' during the period of 'free love' and 'cheap drugs'. I was OK with that. We each have our own path.

My boyfriend and I don't drink, we're in our early twenties, we also don't smoke, do drugs or party. Everyone around me does though, there are daily pot circles on the lawn at my school... It's a personal preference. I like to be healthy, I'm not going to purposely cause myself harm for a little 'fun' that I could get without substances. Endorphins are a great natural high

The illusion that you can totally knock yourself out, just to give others the impression that you're having a good time, is difficult to maintain. When you're done with college and looking for a job, nobody else will really care if you're having a good time or not.

But a few of the kids I went to school with, DID try to maintain the illusion... now everyone else thinks they're just jerks, and they all walk around with a sour look on their faces (which are discolored yellowish gray from all the booze and cigarettes).

Haha! I love that! :bunny:

fb *likes* this

It's true, but I don't think it's that funny at all really... there's nothing more pitiful than a burned-out party animal.

These guys are going to look really ridiculous when they're in their 80s, with wrinkles and no teeth, playing air-guitar...

It's true, but I don't think it's that funny at all really... there's nothing more pitiful than a burned-out party animal.

These guys are going to look really ridiculous when they're in their 80s, with wrinkles and no teeth, playing air-guitar...

Don't most people in their 80s have wrinkles and no teeth?

Don't most people in their 80s have wrinkles and no teeth?

:lmao:...

that's because most people party heavily, silly!

The body is certainly not otherwise intended to have wrinkles at that young of an age. Generally that happens in one's 90s... and teeth never rot away / fall out if one's abstained from unhealthy substances etc. There's really no other causes for tooth decay, either.

(unless they're just saying that they will never mature and as old pharts they will look especially ridiculous.

in which case there goes the amusement :()

Edited by OnyxSnowfall

Honestly that is rather silly-people age at different rates, and aging into the 80's at all is a modern phenomena. Yes heavy drinking and smoking can have a great influence....but...something about the turn this thread has taken bugs me. I am an introvert, and I know my preferences; I certainly don't go out professing myself as morally superior because of them though; they automatically expose me less to that, but they are NOT some skill I have developed and mastered. I think THE EXTREMES of binge drinking and heavy partying all as some sort of mob mentality to fit in are unnecessary and can be harmful, but I think that that is a subculture in adulthood and an unfortunate facet of college life, not the norm of most people that go out.

• Author
Honestly that is rather silly-people age at different rates, and aging into the 80's at all is a modern phenomena. Yes heavy drinking and smoking can have a great influence....but...something about the turn this thread has taken bugs me. I am an introvert, and I know my preferences; I certainly don't go out professing myself as morally superior because of them though; they automatically expose me less to that, but they are NOT some skill I have developed and mastered. I think THE EXTREMES of binge drinking and heavy partying all as some sort of mob mentality to fit in are unnecessary and can be harmful, but I think that that is a subculture in adulthood and an unfortunate facet of college life, not the norm of most people that go out.

I don't know about it being a subculture. I went into the grocery store this last Friday afternoon and literally every check out line had at least one group or pair of college students with a cart full of liquor. I even took a picture for my dad, as he always tells me I'm exaggerating when I complain to him about them.

WhiteChocolate

I'm 19, at a big party public university, and I don't drink/party much. And when I do, I keep myself relatively sober (just small sips for taste and mood)

I was just talking to a freshman tonight and he said that he was getting tired of partying. About a third of the people I know don't party regularly...so OP you are not alone. Keep meeting people and I'm sure you will find people like you :)