psychiatry is bunk

Life is hard, such IS life.

Also, most mental health professionals don't seem to understand day to day society and only push their warped conceptions of how THEY think life is.

Really? You must've had some terrible luck. The one I went to showed a remarkably deep understanding in how my life went. That's called experience: They learn from having hundreds of different patients - at one point, a clear pattern shows at each of his patients, and it allows him to instantly adjust to you and your problems. I don't think 90 % of all psyciatrists have ever had a mental problem themselves, which should make your statement true - They haven't experienced it, so they make a qualified guess on how your situation is. But I imagine any experienced psyciatrist have analysed enough people to be able to differentiate between their personal, subjective view on the world, and how their patient's lives work. How correct their assumption is, is purely individual, depending on the patient, and the psyciatrist. But I'm still of the opinion that you either haven't tried psyciatri, or just haven't tried a good one yet.

In my case, this guy happened to show a far deeper understanding than I had ever hoped for. Not a warped conception.

But for the sake of arguement, if we have to outlaw psyciatri, it should be because some of these people could potentially manipulate you to ridiculous extents, thanks to the knowledge they possess. My psyciatrist have helped me through two problems: Parental abandonment and abuse, and rape. The first took more than a year, the second happened only a couple of months ago. And this guy managed to guess exactly what had happened, what I was thinking, and how I had reacted. He simply knew me this well. What's even more scary - I am only one of his many patients. Imagine what a guy of this sort could do if he attempted to abuse his power...

And people, stop multiposting... the character limit per post is insane, and not something you will accidentially reach - there are no point in posting 4 different posts in a row.

If you have trouble quoting, use this template, without the *:

[*quote=insert name here]insert text here

It makes the topic more tidy.

from psychology textbooks, where else?

And who writes those textbooks, if not mental health experts?

My views are based on fact. they push views and show little cognisance as to how society is. I met several last year who had no clue about the general memes, values and structure of the society they themselves interact in.

Your views are based on limited data.

Have you a curriculum sample?

I could perhaps alter my opinion.

I'm afraid I don't. Perhaps you can find something about it on the internet yourself? I hear http://www.google.com is a good search engine.

• Author
ilikesunita
And who writes those textbooks, if not mental health experts?

Your views are based on limited data.

What perchance is limited data? how can a person not live in a society and understand the basics as to how people interact and get on in that culture? How can they then tell others what healthy behaviour/thought is, if all behaviour is socially-based? lol.. And yes, mental health experts wrote psychology textbooks, so what? who else will have wrote them?

What perchance is limited data? how can a person not live in a society and understand the basics as to how people interact and get on in that culture? How can they then tell others what healthy behaviour/thought is, if all behaviour is socially-based? lol.. And yes, mental health experts wrote psychology textbooks, so what? who else will have wrote them?

*facepalm*

Oh boy, this is ridiculous.

You aren't disputing our arguments. In fact... you are reinforcing them.

You are basing your views on textbooks, written by the very people you want outlawed. So you don't believe what they say, but you believe what they write.

And again, behavior is social-based, true. We are affected by everything that goes on in our lives - alone, our behavior would revert to a baser form of simple survival - Mind you, this only happens if you are alone for a very long time, like, stuck on a desserted island or something. But no matter how our social lives are affecting us, through face-to-face communication, websites, TV, ect., you still have some unique qualities that makes you react differently to the various imputs you get. These are obviously still socially created, but are done by your parents and guardians at the various institutions where most children stay while their parents are at work. The social butterfly or something (Damn language barriers...)

A good example I heard once, is getting robbed. Armed robbery, while on an empty road, in the middle of the night.

- Some would outright retaliate, and try to overpower their attacker.

- Some would reluctantly let their attacker search them, or possibly just hand over their possesions, and then be mad about it for a couple of days until the insurance money came in.

- Some would become mentally scared, and become afraid of walking around during the night alone.

- Some would break, and fear taking even a single step out of their front door.

This behavior is something that stems from past experiences. As I said in my last post, a skilled and experienced psyciatrist will analyse why you reacted that way. My psyciatrist knows how I reacted to my parents' abuse, and he have probably figured out what caused me to react this way. Through that knowledge, he could tell me exactly how I had reacted to a rape, without me saying a word.

They work on the same basis you say they don't. Again, I believe you simple have had a bad experience with these people, or even none at all, because a good psyciatrist wouldn't try to force ideals on you - They try to help you out of the mess you have ended up in. You wouldn't know, but figuring out why you react the way you do, and the simply act of having someone know what happened, helps far more than you could possibly imagine.

• Author
ilikesunita

meh, i don't care again, i don't like mental health professionals, nor their practice.

What perchance is limited data?

It is a set of data that is so small one cannot make any reliable predictions from. If I flip a coin once and it lands heads up, I could predict from that limited data that a flipped coin will always land heads up, but I'd be wrong, because I had relied on limited data.

how can a person not live in a society and understand the basics as to how people interact and get on in that culture?

Beats me. How do they do it? It's you saying that some people do this.

How can they then tell others what healthy behaviour/thought is, if all behaviour is socially-based?

Do you have any examples of someone saying what is healthy and how that

doesn't work in your tiny bit of society? The more information the better. Mental health therapy can only be improved with more information about what works and what doesn't work, and where and when.

lol.. And yes, mental health experts wrote psychology textbooks, so what? who else will have wrote them?

So you want to ban the people but rely on their books. You're contradicting yourself - if psychiatry is bunk, why rely on psychiatry books?

• Author
ilikesunita

Do you have any examples of someone saying what is healthy and how that

doesn't work in your tiny bit of society? The more information the better. Mental health therapy can only be improved with more information about what works and what doesn't work, and where and when.

Most people I know don't exercise regularly, nor meditate, but are not mentally unwell.

So you want to ban the people but rely on their books. You're contradicting yourself - if psychiatry is bunk, why rely on psychiatry books?

lmao... i don't value logic.

Most people I know don't exercise regularly, nor meditate, but are not mentally unwell.

As already stated, all of the various methods of improving your mental health is just that - an improvement. Some need it, others don't. Usually because some people have had a life that made them mentally stronger, and made them less likely to become depressed and such. On the other hand, some people never got the chance to strengthen their mental willpower. How? Highly depends. Some people have had an extremely good upbringing, and are strong because of it. Others have had an extremely poor upbringing, and managed to turn that around, and become stronger from it. There are millions of reasons why each person is who they are, the statement you made there uses 1 of them. Hardly enough to make any sensible claim.

Also remember that being "mental unwell" doesn't nessesarily have to be something you would notice. Hell, I managed to hide from my friends that I had been kicked out of my home, and were on the werge of suicide for a full month before anyone realised. It wasn't that they didn't care - I just managed to act like I always had. So how can you be certain these "most people" are actually mentally healthy?

lmao... i don't value logic.

We know. Trolls usually don't.