Profiling? Discrimination? What can I do?

• Author

I quit yesterday. I told the manager I was hired FT and that I start soon (which is true, thank goodness) and then told a white lie, saying I would be going on vacation to see my parents before I start my new job, so it would be my last day. He gave me my last check and everything ended on good terms. I felt so uncomfortable working there; I only did it because I was desperate for money and to get out of the apartment and I had no other prospects even though I was diligently applying to other jobs. And on top of that, the manager is an obnoxious jerk--the most unprofessional person I have ever had the misfortune to work under, and very likely racist.

If I were to report him it would be to the guy who hired him, and anything being done is a long shot because the whole damn company is very shady.

If I were to report him it would be to the guy who hired him, and anything being done is a long shot because the whole damn company is very shady.

You left on good terms.. he paid you properly and you even said you only took the job for money..

Why try and complicate his life and the company's life, it seems you have a vendetta to grind for no good reason.

The other issue is that the rumor grapevine and your own reputation.. why become known as a trouble maker, nobody will hire you.

It's different if you were really discriminated against but you weren't in this case you just hated the guy.

• Author

I said I only STAYED at the job out of desperation. I TOOK the job because it was advertised as something different from what it turned out to be. If I had been hired anywhere else before now I would've left the job then. As I said, he's the most unprofessional person I've ever had to work under, and while it likely wouldn't hold up, I had at least some proof that he negatively profiles people based on race. It wasn't just me who thought all that, either. I have never worked with or under someone so obnoxious until him, and if I had, I would've at least made plans to take similar action in reporting them. The reason why I 'hate' him is how he does his job and treats people who work under him.

Not every thing you do in life is going to work out the way you would have liked it to..

I'm sure most people have had an experience in their work careers that they wished wasn't part of their past.. but life has a way of just happening and we can't control all aspects of our lives.

You should just file this under "Been there done that, hope to never repeat it" rather than try to make a guys life miserable that paid you well and harbored no ill will toward you, he just did it with a twist you didn't like and treated you in a manner that wasn't all that cool.

The world is full of people that are just plain jerks and your last boss won't the only one you will run into in your future either..

Good luck with your new job...

TwinkletOes26

I find that Karma is often funny....just because you dont see the justice doesnt mean it has not been doled out...remember the saying what goes around comes around? Its true I have seen it time after time.....if this man is doing like you say then he will get his...it may not be today tomorrow or even a year from now but its only so long you can do wrong by people and get away....ENRON anyone?? Prime example....