150 - 5 oz Chicken Breast (2 x 75)

30 - peach

72 - banana

55 - apple

30 - small mixed salad

130 - steamed vegetable (2 x 65)

--------------------------

872 - Total Base Daily Diet (Calories)

I am not sure what you mean by base diet. This is all the calories you have been taking in daily?

lordWilhelm

That seems very reasonable and as long as you substitute some of the things we talked about with the bacon & co., it should be a good diet. You should aim to go over 1000 calories in total, and probably no more than 2000; combined with your exercise program you should start seeing weight loss. As you mentioned weigh yourself weekly and try to weigh yourself at a consistent time so early in the morning before you eat would be a good choice.

This is really nice post by you.The diet plan you have given is really nice.This will definitely help me.Thanks a lot for sharing information.

• Author

So here's my latest update. I've successfully made it 14 days consecutive diet/exercise. A couple people at work have commented that I appear to be losing weight.

I picked up a couple dozen doughnuts for everyone at work today, and managed to resist eating any. Fruit and veggies are so much tastier anyways!

day 01 - unknown

day 07 - 250.0 lbs

day 14 - 243.8 lbs. - 6.2 lbs. lost

Congrats on the weight loss so far! In my opinion, you probably need to be eating more in order to slow down your weight loss. The goal of this would be trying to ease into a new lifestyle as opposed to crash dieting and then not being able to sustain your diet.

The more slowly you lose it, the more likely you'll be able to keep it off permanently. It does take more patience, however...

At any rate, good work.

• Author

Thanks!

I actually feel like I've been eating too much - beyond being full even as I'm trying to hit about 1500-2000 calories. Seems like I'm constantly eating!

Can't believe how expensive fruit/vegetables are. $100 for about a weeks worth o_O.

I wasn't expecting much weight loss even - figured I was just replacing a bit of fat w/ muscle.

Yeah, eating fresh foods tends to get expensive, especially nowadays with rising fuel prices, etc. However, you've got to think about it as an investment in yourself. Doctor's bills are much, much more expensive than gym memberships and healthy food.

Also, it's good that you're being satiated on 1500 to 2000 cal/day! That's a great way to ensure that you stay on track. Being hungry doesn't solve anything.

Can't believe how expensive fruit/vegetables are. $100 for about a weeks worth o_O.

Yikes! I buy for a family of 5 and spend about half that. Do you have access to a farmer's market? If not, you may want to join one of the big wholesale clubs (BJs, Costco, etc.). I get lots of organic stuff from those stores at good prices.

You might also check into a food co-op: http://www.localharvest.org/food-coops/ I joined a co-op at a local farm a few years ago and it was great!

Keep up the good work! :)

Frozen food aisle for all your veggie needs. Organic is for fools.

But to each their own.

I generally spend about 70 to 100 dollars for a week's worth groceries, and that's for two people (my girlfriend and take turns buying the groceries).

I feel that we eat very well: high quality meats, fish, greek yogurt, cottage cheese, coffee, fresh veggies, fruits, etc. We mostly do not buy organic food. If we were to switch to frozen veggies and cheaper meats (the meat is the biggest part of the grocery budget), I'm sure we'd save even more.

I'm not sure how someone would go through 100 dollars per week for just themselves, but then again, there are some parts of the world that food is much more expensive.

Maybe I read it wrong... I thought the OP was saying he is spending $100/week just on fruits and veggies.

• Author

This has sparked quite the discussion.

Breakdown of the $100 grocery bill (from memory):

$18.00 - 4lbs lean pork chops

$ 2.50 - Loaf of whole-grain bread

$ 1.50 - 18 Large Eggs

$ 6.00 - Big thing of fresh spinach

$14.00 - assorted bags of ready to eat snap peas / broccoli

$ 5.00 - 2 pints of cherry-tomatoes

$ 3.00 - 2 packages of mushrooms

$ 2.00 - Package of diced carrots

$ 2.00 - 4 cucumbers

$ 6.00 - 10 Oranges

$ 6.00 - 10 Apples

$10.00 - Bunch of plums and peaches

$10.00 - 4 bags of frozen vegetables

$12.00 - 4 bags of frozen fruit

--------

$98.00 + tax

That's actually probably only enough for about 5 days =(

Edit: The prices for the snap peas / broccoli seemed ridiculous to me. Everything else seemed relatively normal.

Edited by jiykoth
something else to say...

Ahhh, well, it looks like the ready-to-go stuff is what's driving up the costs. Why not just buy bulk broccoli and peas? Not telling you what to buy or anything, but in my experience you can save a lot of money the further away you get from buying small packages of pre-mixed. Mixed veggie trays for example are ridiculous.

That's a ton of fruit by the way! You're definitely getting in your vitamins, but you might be overdoing it on the sugar with all that fruit. Nutritionally speaking, I try to focus on getting more onions, bell peppers, leeks, spinach, etc. This will help drive down costs as well (due to most veggies being generally cheaper than fruit).

That's a ton of fruit by the way! You're definitely getting in your vitamins, but you might be overdoing it on the sugar with all that fruit. Nutritionally speaking, I try to focus on getting more onions, bell peppers, leeks, spinach, etc. This will help drive down costs as well (due to most veggies being generally cheaper than fruit).

I second this. I forget where I read it, but I recently saw the comment that when making the decision to eat more fresh food, eating more fruit is a "rookie" mistake. That might be harsh, but I would definitely choose green veggies first and foremost.

Based on what you list, it appears you are having ~8 servings of fruit per day. That is a lot of fructose, which is absorbed differently from glucose in the body. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15181085

• Author

The "ready-to-go" stuff is definitely driving up cost.

yeah I would say that the 8 servings of fruit is about right, and about 6-7 servings of vegetables.

Thanks for the link - I wasn't sure if the increased calorie intake from superfluous glucose meant that it could cause someone to want to eat more, or some other way.

I also found this interesting: http://www.raw-food-health.net/listofvegetables.html

Particularly the parts about avoiding raw broccoli, eating "at least a head of lettuce or other leafy greens...daily." and cucumbers, tomatoes, celery and bell peppers with reckless abandon.

Guess I can start bringing a head of lettuce, cucumbers, tomatoes, celery and bell peppers to work everyday instead of fruit.

lordWilhelm

Eight servings of fruit a day sounds like a lot. When/how many fruits do you usually have per day?

• Author

1-2 pieces of fruit in morning

1 piece mid-morning

1 piece mid-afternoon

2 servings (frozen) fruit in evening

0-2 miscellaneous servings throughout the day

So I guess that's really just 5-7

Guess I was thinking of the weekend because I had a bit more snacking on plums/peaches after my bike rides.