Sleep deprivation and new baby

tinktronik

pureinheart

To add...I totally think that changing the babies environment for better sleep when baby is little is excellent, although as baby grows older and has better sleep patterns, well I used to crank up the sounds on purpose. Saying shhhhh, the baby is sleeping all of the time didn't work...being quiet doesn't happen ever in my house...so my kids and grandkids got used to noise quick...otherwise your house is controlled by sleeping.

We gave a bottle (formula) at 2am and she slept in until about 5:20. It was fantastic. I also managed to pump 4 ounces today and took a quickie nap while daddy feed her. So 2am is daddy's bottle time for a while until we get her on more spread out feeding. I'm going to try a lot of the suggestions.

Eve, I think you clued me into something here. I'm covered in milk (even pads don't stop it) and baby wants to eat if she even hears my voice. I will try showering after feedings and changing clothes.

H'mmm.. by the sounds of things you are making enough milk.

Glad you have had some rest! Hope my suggestion helps out. My two needed a bit off help to work out that I was more than just a food source! :laugh:

I used the breast really for bonding time but had to supplement because both my girls were solid babies. Not fat at all, just really into their food. Like pureinheart I had to do things the old fashioned way and introduce solids early through adjusting the teat to fit in cereal products.

Please keep us updated on how you are all doing. :)

It is such a special, beautiful time when they first come.. nothing like it on this earth!!

All the best,

Take care,

Eve x

Babies that age tend to wake every 2-3 hours. Your daughter is waking too often and I suspect it is the reflux. Can you ask your pediatrician if you can let her sleep in her carseat?

How would letting the baby sleep in the carseat help?

I used to let mine sleep in her seat if we were going somewhere, but otherwise I was told not to let her spend too much time in her carseat because it can be bad for their neck/spine development.

I used to let mine sleep in her seat if we were going somewhere, but otherwise I was told not to let her spend too much time in her carseat because it can be bad for their neck/spine development.

It keeps them elevated and helps with reflux. I said ask the Dr. before you do that though:rolleyes:

• Author
tinktronik
It keeps them elevated and helps with reflux. I said ask the Dr. before you do that though:rolleyes:

Hi lisal. I did ask my pediatrician about this. Thanks for the suggestion. He says that he would not suggest it for babies under 4 months because it increases the risk of a closed off airway as well as overheating and SIDS. It's super hot here in Texas right now so there is some concern about babies getting too hot.

But we do have her little sleeping bed elevated just slightly to help out and I do put her into her swing for a couple of hours if I'm really desperate. ;)

• Author
tinktronik

I had actually read a lot about this specific type of baby sleeper that mothers raved about their colicky babies doing well in and about a year ago it was recalled because it was causing some serious problems with spine and neck development and flat heads. Yikes.

Hi lisal. I did ask my pediatrician about this. Thanks for the suggestion. He says that he would not suggest it for babies under 4 months because it increases the risk of a closed off airway as well as overheating and SIDS. It's super hot here in Texas right now so there is some concern about babies getting too hot.

But we do have her little sleeping bed elevated just slightly to help out and I do put her into her swing for a couple of hours if I'm really desperate. ;)

Hopefully things get better for you. I have 3 kids and none of them were good sleepers as babies.

Have you tried using the miracle blanket? It's for swaddling and it gets great reviews.

Thanks for the sarcastic roll eyes. I wasn't criticising you directly. :rolleyes:

Have you tried using the miracle blanket? It's for swaddling and it gets great reviews.

I used the miracle blanket and it was absolutely fantastic. Kept the baby nice and snug and unable to wake herself up via the moro reflex.

Only problem with it is it became a sleep prop, so was yet another thing to wean the baby off along with her dummy etc. Having said that, weaning her off the stuff wasn't so bad in the end.

TaraMaiden

Weaning my daughter off her thumb was 1000 times worse!

Don't let your kids suck their thumbs! It's addictive, always available, and messes with your teeth big time!

Get a soother or a dummy, and gradually wean them off it!

Much better!

Second that TM. I was paranoid because my daughter used a dummy for the first year, but at least it wasn't permanently attached to her. Getting rid of it wasn't too bad, and no harm done.

In my job I see some terrible damage done by thumb or finger sucking.

TaraMaiden

I sucked my thumb until was into my early teens... I should have had remedial orthodontic treatment, but (at the time) it would have meant removing 8 perfectly healthy, sound strong teeth, and my mother decided against that.

so I grew up with a mouth that resembles that of a horse....

Actually, it's not that bad, I'm told, but I really don't like my teeth....

I have very strong teeth. I'm 54, they're all my own, and I have only 2 fillings.

Small ones at that.

But they're slightly bucked, and it's all thanks to thumb-sucking.

• 1 month later...
Oh I feel for you. Been there, done that and suffered. My first baby had colic for months and no-one could help. To be honest, I was so tired and desperate I got sick and tired of the soppy, earth-mother types suggesting I take care of what I eat (in case it was upsetting her tummy), that I nap in the afternoon, that I be calm and reassuring, that we have a strict routine, and ... you name it, all sorts of advice from well-meaning mothers who hadn't been through it. My baby was not interested in all this advice and cried and kept me awake every night for months. I do wonder now whether a supplementary bottle feed might have helped. I didn't resort to it at the time because I was convinced it was the wrong thing to do. I really don't know. I still feel quite angry at the advice I was given as I felt people had no idea what I was going through - quite simply it was torture!

Now that my baby is grown, I know there are problems with what seems to be an over-sensitive nervous system. Lights, noise, people, pressure, everything affects my grown-up child badly. We have all had to adjust to this and it was a long time before medical professionals really accepted there was a problem. My adult child is getting help now and may have a mild form of autism. It explains a lot. If I'd known there was a nervous system problem ages ago, I could have had understanding help and support. As I said, I feel angry now that I was made to feel like I must be doing something wrong when my baby just wouldn't settle. Instead, my baby appeared to get more and more wound up, despite all my efforts, and just didn't respond normally. Yours may eventually settle with all the standard advice - and I would certainly give that a go - but don't blame yourself if it doesn't work. Firstly make sure your baby has had enough food (if possible) and don't feel bad if you resort to formula. Secondly, if an over-sensitive nervous system is making things more difficult for you, I have the following suggestions:

- try not to have too much noise, bright lights, colours around when trying to calm your baby

- handle her gently, quietly and talk softly and calmly to her/him (I should think you are doing this anyway but I just mention it). Even a slightly raised voice upset my child and two people talking at once was too much - my adult child can only cope with brief periods of light/noise without becoming irrational

- try not to raise your voice or allow others to do so nearby (hard, I know, when you are desperate, frustrated and shattered)

- try to keep every interaction with the baby peaceful and calming, no jerky movements, no objects suddenly brought near her - imagine that movement, noise and light/colour all the same time might be too much (I know it sounds extreme but my child was reacting with panic to just about everything that impacted on the senses)

- do not expect him/her to interact with you too much, even if they seem to demand attention a lot of the time. My child demanded more attention because she/he was panicking and reacting to sensory stimulii - by giving more attention or getting the child to talk/play (thinking she/he needed attention) he/she was getting even more overwhelmed. What they needed was gentle, calming reassurance and a progressively non-stimulating environment

I know the above will sound weird and the last thing you might feel like it being calm, but the idea is to minimise any assault on his/her senses. I could not tell what was upsetting my baby as everything seemed normal around her but even normal noise and light was too much for the baby. This may only give you slight relief from the stress, but it may help somewhat. It sounds like you're doing an amazing job as you are working too. It really sounds too much for one person to cope with. I got to the stage where I felt incredibly angry with the baby and I guess I still feel angry that no-one really understood why my baby was so difficult and gave me proper support while dealing with that. I feel sad that you are having such a tough time and I hope it gets better soon. Feel free to message me if you think it might help.

I think this is good advice... calming down, slowing down...

My grandson had the worst colic and drove me and my daughter to the brink... I cannot remember either of mine being so bad...

the best thing I can say is

IT WILL PASS....IT WILL PASS....IT WILL PASS....IT WILL PASS....IT WILL PASS....IT WILL PASS....IT WILL PASS....IT WILL PASS....:):):)