Giving her space?

Confused100

Hey all, in need of your advice.

I've posted some previous threads on my relationship with this girl, but I'll try to give a quick recap.

I'm completely infatuated with her, and her boyfriend is much more emotionally distant than previous ones. A couple of my closest friends said that we are in an unhealthy relationship, feeding the worst parts of each other (i.e, she is a motherly figure and likes taking care of me and I am dependent on her and find comfort when she guides me). They hypothesized that because her BF is emotionally distant, I am filling that void. Essentially, we are in a gray area between friendship and GF/BF relationship,. She says that she is a lot closer for me than I am close to her (i.e., I see her as a better friend than she sees me). There has been a bit of tension in the relationship in the past few weeks, because I've been too dependent on her. Just a couple days ago, we got into a big fight and were mad at each other. Oh, my friends also think that she most likely knows that I like her.

My really close friends said that I need to give her space, which means only talking to her about important school-related stuff. Otherwise, I should not initiate conversations online (I'm almost always the one who initiates stuff).

Does everyone agree? How long will it take before she starts conversations with me (if ever)?

• 1 month later...
jonpeter001

I have been dating a woman for a few months now. Throughout the time we have been dating, there has been a see-saw effect with her. One day she's apologizing for not being affectionate, stating she's not that way (which is something I came to learn before she ever said anything). The next, she's doing things like taking me out to a sporting event, coming to a family thrown birthday dinner, and asking me to spend the night.

All unexpected... All in the same week in fact. Side note: she was invited to the birthday dinner by my family - I thought it was too soon to meet my family, and I offered her an "out" because she actually DID have something to do that night. She still came.

Now she seems to be pulling back again, only this time she's now mentioning things that are bothering her about me. She thinks what I am doing is becoming pushy/clingy. Enough to state she could start to be put off by it.

buster2209
My really close friends said that I need to give her space, which means only talking to her about important school-related stuff. Otherwise, I should not initiate conversations online (I'm almost always the one who initiates stuff).

You have some good friends there. I would give the same advice.

Does everyone agree? How long will it take before she starts conversations with me (if ever)?

If she likes you, she will eventually start talking to you. If she doesn't, then at least you know where you stand.