"How to break your addiction to a person" - the book.

reachingskywards

reachingskywards

I have been reading this great book called ' How to break your addiction to a person" by Howard M Halpern. I haven't finnished it yet but it has really been able to explain so much to me about my realtionship with my MM. The book provides a good insight into most relationships but is particularly useful for people who feel stuck in a bad relationship. He even has a chapter on breaking up relationships with a married person. I would recommend having a look at it.

Other things I have been doing to get a handle on where I am at with my MM and to reclaim myself: -

1> Recently read a book called 'facing love addiction' which was again excellent and this was also really valuable.

2> I am trying really hard to develop a network of girlfriends etc so if and when things get difficult (which they are bound to get when with a MM) then I won't feel all alone in it.

3> Went to one Codependancy Anon meeting last week. Will probably go to some more. (not 100% sure).

4> Visiting forums such as this one. And am trying to find other good stuff on the net.

5> Went for a long weekend away by myself to think things over. I felt much stronger and capable for it. Will try to do various activities by myself or with other friends and not just with the MM as has been the case.

Does anyone have any other helpful hints or advice??? Any usefull websites??

There have been hundreds of books on this subject, some of which have made the authors quite a sum. The bottom line is, we all need to stop giving power to other people, circumstances and objects and keep it for ourselves. If we don't give such incredible power to other people and our relationship to them, we can't get addicted. Even if you are in love with somebody, you don't have to invest your entire being in that relationship because the bottom line is they can leave at any moment. Power is an illusion and we really have no power over anything or anybody but ourselves. Everything else is subject to going its own way. If you give a great deal of power to any other person, you are subject to manipulation, guilt, depression, etc. If you can love and understand that it's something you and you alone own for yourself, then you can love freely, get the joy out of it, and move on when it's over.

Stop letting the world run YOU and YOU run your world!!!