Are there any natural remedies for allergies?

TaraMaiden
I agree with you that generalizing that 'all natural remedies are bs' is going a little too far. But the OP is also generalizing that 'all medicines have tons of unpleasant side effects', which is really an equal but opposite gaffe. :)

I'm actually one of the sad people that do read all enclosed instructions, and I have not come across one single pharmaceutical, chemically-manufactured medication that does NOT have a whole list of unpleasant side effects.

So actually, while the comment is sweeping, so far, I can't contradict him.

I remember watching a comedian discussing his father's prescribed kidney medication;

"Get this" he said, reading form the instructions themselves -

"Nausea, vomiting, headaches, blurred vision, stomach cramps, joint pain, diarrhoea, gum inflammation, nosebleeds, heart palpitations, breathing difficulties and death.

DEATH - !!?

How can death be a side effect - ?!?"

I did laugh....

Um, did you actually READ my post, TaraMaiden? 'There is a whole long list that the FDA mandates must be published, but for most of the side effects listed, only a small portion of the population will experience them.'

Contrary to popular belief, 'natural' remedies, especially the stronger ones that actually work such as echinacea and ginseng, DO have an equally long list of potential side effects.

You take the pill and you die??

No, silly, some of the meds for hypertension, etc, can be potentially fatal if dosed wrongly. There is always risk vs benefit though. For the medications with truly serious side effects, usually the risk of dying from NOT taking them greatly supersedes the risk of dying when you take them. Plain and simple.

TaraMaiden
Um, did you actually READ my post, TaraMaiden? 'There is a whole long list that the FDA mandates must be published, but for most of the side effects listed, only a small portion of the population will experience them.'

Yes, I do take your point - but they're still side effects, and nobody knows quite WHO is going to suffer them to a greater or lesser degree - until they start taking them.

Contrary to popular belief, 'natural' remedies, especially the stronger ones that actually work such as echinacea and ginseng, DO have an equally long list of potential side effects.

Yes, but these are generally associated with allergies to the product itself.

Echinacea and hypericum should not be used with pharmaceutical remedies prescribed or manufactured for the same purpose, because of conflict between the ingredients of each remedy, not because of the side-effects of the 'natural' products themselves (other than allergies to them).

The problematic aspect of using herbal supplements, is that the improvements take longer to take effect.

We live, generally speaking, within societies and environments that require rapid response or effect. sick people want to get better, and they want to get better - NOW.

we get sick, occasionally because of personal carelessness or neglect, but we expect doctors to provide us with a medication that makes us (health)rich quick.

Did you know a Chinese medical practitioner is only paid when his patients are in good health, and payments for those patients under his care, cease or are suspended, when the patient becomes ill?

Doctors in china work with their patients, to maintain good health.

Doctors in the west are sponsored by pharmaceutical companies to sell and promote specific drugs. The more they prescribe, the more of a bonus they receive.

Herbal remedies preferred by many people - and no less effective - cut their income.

Yes, I do take your point - but they're still side effects, and nobody knows quite WHO is going to suffer them to a greater or lesser degree - until they start taking them.

Yes, but these are generally associated with allergies to the product itself.

Echinacea and hypericum should not be used with pharmaceutical remedies prescribed or manufactured for the same purpose, because of conflict between the ingredients of each remedy, not because of the side-effects of the 'natural' products themselves (other than allergies to them).

The problematic aspect of using herbal supplements, is that the improvements take longer to take effect.

We live, generally speaking, within societies and environments that require rapid response or effect. sick people want to get better, and they want to get better - NOW.

we get sick, occasionally because of personal carelessness or neglect, but we expect doctors to provide us with a medication that makes us (health)rich quick.

Did you know a Chinese medical practitioner is only paid when his patients are in good health, and payments for those patients under his care, cease or are suspended, when the patient becomes ill?

Doctors in china work with their patients, to maintain good health.

Doctors in the west are sponsored by pharmaceutical companies to sell and promote specific drugs. The more they prescribe, the more of a bonus they receive.

Herbal remedies preferred by many people - and no less effective - cut their income.

Oh come now, enough with the conspiracy theories. There are every bit as many Chinese sinsei's interested in getting a cut of the profit as there are Western docs, if not more. Guess what is secretly put into many of their medications? Corticosteroids, the 'miracle' pharmaceutical. There is no proper regulation of natural medicines (or compulsory registration for sinsei's) so it's easier to cheat customers. I'm a Chinese and have been to a few of those. I know. Have you?

And no, the reason echinacea should not be taken with other medications is because it is a medication in itself. As you said, drugs are manufactured mainly based on chemicals previously found in plants and natural remedies. 'Natural' remedies that work are really drugs, just drugs with often lesser potency and less-regulated dosages.

Here's some side effects of echinacea for you, off of http://www.rxlist.com/:

Some side effects have been reported such as fever, nausea, vomiting, unpleasant taste, stomach pain, diarrhea, sore throat, dry mouth, headache, numbness of the tongue, dizziness, insomnia, disorientation, and joint and muscle aches.

Does that make you afraid of taking echinacea now? You just didn't read them because it's not compulsory to put them on the bottles like pharmaceutical drugs are. On the other hand, I've been taking echinacea for a while now and I haven't experienced any of those. Nor have I experienced any of the side effects of antihistamines.

Edited by Elswyth
TaraMaiden

Fine.

I stand corrected. :)