How do I deal with this negative friend?

validation form other people isn't necessary when we feel confident we're doing the right thing.

You're doing the right thing.

Remember, his not being happy for you, is nothing personal. he does it to everyone who proves him wrong. Don't isolate yourself and hold yourself responsible for his stupidity.

He has a brain between his ears, and could use it, if only he'd see sense....

• 11 months later...
  • Author

Updating this because I got back in touch with this person and things haven't changed. Even though we went a year without speaking.

I won't even go into details. Let's just say that I patiently listened to him talk about things, mostly about this new girl he is dating. He was mostly complaining. Then when I tried to share something about myself, he put it down. He didn't ask any questions about what happened, when it happened, didn't appear to really care about my feelings. Just insulted me for the fact that I chose to try some online dating (he thinks its no good even though his friend met her husband that way). I was sharing the fact that dating wasn't going well for me so it kinda shocked me that he would put me down I mean come on, it's not like I was bragging!! Why kick me when I'm already down?

I don't think he is happy in his new relationship, by the way. He seems to be just pretending. So I am leaving him alone to it. If putting me down makes him feel better about his fake relationship then screw him.

Edited by SpiralOut