Need a better title than boyfriend

• Author
'How long have you been married?'

'We've been together for six years and have a wonderful child. Why do you ask?'

I've actually said almost that exact response. But again, it wasn't about what they thought, its about how I feel about using the term husband. I don't feel its the right term for us.

• Author
Well Cliona, I guess you could say "husband," and then if they ask questions, just kinda stop them by adding "common-law." Otherwise, the only one I can think of that I don't remember seeing on here already is "fiance." But then there you are again with the questions like people asking you when the wedding is.

Thanks again for posting. Yes, I just don't feel that husband or fiance are the right terms for us. It just doesn't feel right to me. But I understand it works for a lot of people, and if it does that's good! ;)

Toodamnpragmatic

I have absolutely no religious affiliation or care a whole lot, but when you defend the right to not marry and consider this a "choice" I find it disingenuous.

You have a child, why is a piece of paper that protects you and your child such a terrible thing? Sorry I don't get it, especially when you said there are no "common-law" legislation where you live.

Do whatever you want and answer however you feel is appropriate, but don't be upset when you get those questions from mostly well meaning people.

Edited by Toodamnpragmatic
  • Author
I have absolutely no religious affiliation or care a whole lot, but when you defend the right to not marry and consider this a "choice" I find it disingenuous.

You have a child, why is a piece of paper that protects you and your child such a terrible thing? Sorry I don't get it, especially when you said there are no "common-law" legislation where you live.

Do whatever you want and answer however you feel is appropriate, but don't be upset when you get those questions from mostly well meaning people.

I don't think I really got upset. Perhaps you're reading into things. Also, again this is off topic. I have no interest in discussing anything other than what the topic is about. There is no anger in this post either, I'd simply like to stay focused on the topic.

LOL! :laugh:

He is one, too. A dick, that is.

This is an interesting question. Do you have any thoughts on what would make a good name?

I have heard POSLQS (pronounced, "posselcues." LOL. (persons of the opposite sex sharing living quarters). Also "my lover"~ gag!

You are right, there isn't one. :confused:

OP, you'll be happy to know this thread is the top Google search result for "need a better title than boyfriend" :)

However, I found another somewhat humorous thread on POF which might contain more suggestions.

One that caused me to chuckle, being from the generation of the no-tell motel, was:

'Introduce yourself as "Don't Ask" and your partner as "Don't Tell"'

• Author
He is one, too. A dick, that is.

This is an interesting question. Do you have any thoughts on what would make a good name?

I have heard POSLQS (pronounced, "posselcues." LOL. (persons of the opposite sex sharing living quarters). Also "my lover"~ gag!

You are right, there isn't one. :confused:

POSLQS! Haha! Thats great! Maybe I'll try that? Well I guess we can get creative if we are inventing a new word. :bunny:

• Author
OP, you'll be happy to know this thread is the top Google search result for "need a better title than boyfriend" :)

However, I found another somewhat humorous thread on POF which might contain more suggestions.

One that caused me to chuckle, being from the generation of the no-tell motel, was:

'Introduce yourself as "Don't Ask" and your partner as "Don't Tell"'

I don't think I've ever had anything at the top of Google - how neat!

Thank you for the link to POF - I browsed it, but I'll definitely go back and read it when I have a min.

I like the 'Don't Ask Don't Tell' - I had never heard that one before! :laugh:

How about "shack up stud"?

I am joking. However, I wish I had an answer for you. Because I know of no other names for him except boyfriend or partner, really.

• Author
How about "shack up stud"?

I am joking. However, I wish I had an answer for you. Because I know of no other names for him except boyfriend or partner, really.

Hehe, ah well, thanks for suggestion. :D I really didn't know any other terms than boyfriend or partner either. I was hoping someone else did :)

Toodamnpragmatic
Hehe, ah well, thanks for suggestion. :D I really didn't know any other terms than boyfriend or partner either. I was hoping someone else did :)

Father of my child, who doesn't want a piece of paper to tie him down, or ring on the finger if he goes out at night, and can separate his assets should things not work out????

I as said have absolutely no religious affiliation or righteous views, but you are the one with the problem and on top of it have a child and family......

Lorelei_Lane
Father of my child, who doesn't want a piece of paper to tie him down, or ring on the finger if he goes out at night, and can separate his assets should things not work out????

I as said have absolutely no religious affiliation or righteous views, but you are the one with the problem and on top of it have a child and family......

Wow, relax. Marriage isn't for everyone.

Kurt Russell and Goldie Hawn have been together for YEARS, they never saw a reason to get married. Why should anyone else? Why "fix" what's not broken?

The OP doesn't HAVE a problem.

They just wanted suggestions for titles other than "boyfriend" because I agree, it does sound kinda high school-ish. I would go with partner, although it does sound very professional.

how about...

hi, i'd like you to meet "my love"

i'd think that seems right if you love him.

i know a couple married for 40 years and they never refer to each other as husband or wife... they only refer to each other as "lover"

i find it endearing... ;):love:

• Author

I have no interest in discussing this as it is off topic. It appears that this issue upsets you and I suggest you post a new thread so you can discuss it there. As I said before, I will not discuss anything off the original topic. I have no interest in getting into a confrontation with you. I will not acknowledge any further posts from you, unless you would like to truly discuss the original topic. Any harassment or attempts to incite fighting in the future will be reported.

I have found very friendly and supportive people in this thread with a wide variety of opinions and input. I have no objection to any of it, as long as it is on topic - and the topic is 'need a better title than boyfriend'. I thank all those who have posted constructive input on the topic.

how about...

i know a couple married for 40 years and they never refer to each other as husband or wife... they only refer to each other as "lover"

Lol, I use a myriad of terms (married but still) such as wife, various animal-related nicknames, silliness and a few others that cannot be said on public forums. All in the name of love :lmao::lmao::lmao:

Jokes aside, I think my dear, my love or my mate seems to work fine enough. Vaguely specific.

Lorelei_Lane
Lol, I use a myriad of terms (married but still) such as wife, various animal-related nicknames, silliness and a few others that cannot be said on public forums. All in the name of love :lmao::lmao::lmao:

Jokes aside, I think my dear, my love or my mate seems to work fine enough. Vaguely specific.

I agree with "my love" as honestly, that's what I call my husband a lot of the time.

My mate sounds neat too! I never thought of that!

• Author
Wow, relax. Marriage isn't for everyone.

Kurt Russell and Goldie Hawn have been together for YEARS, they never saw a reason to get married. Why should anyone else? Why "fix" what's not broken?

The OP doesn't HAVE a problem.

They just wanted suggestions for titles other than "boyfriend" because I agree, it does sound kinda high school-ish. I would go with partner, although it does sound very professional.

Thank you for your kind words and I appreciate you putting your perspective out there! Partner is definitely getting a lot of support in this thread as a good word to use. :)

• Author
how about...

Aww, that is very sweet! I like it.

I agree with "my love" as honestly, that's what I call my husband a lot of the time.

My mate sounds neat too! I never thought of that!

Blame the exposure to Australians (I am not Australian, but have quite a few full-blooded Aussie friends). When I call my wife my mate, she calls Aye? I believe in using vaguely specific terms when the r/s is ambiguous for social interpretation. Not that it matters, but since OP wants to introduce her other half, the best way is to stick with such terms to clear up any misunderstandings.

Toodamnpragmatic
I have no interest in discussing this as it is off topic. It appears that this issue upsets you and I suggest you post a new thread so you can discuss it there. As I said before, I will not discuss anything off the original topic. I have no interest in getting into a confrontation with you. I will not acknowledge any further posts from you, unless you would like to truly discuss the original topic. Any harassment or attempts to incite fighting in the future will be reported.

I have found very friendly and supportive people in this thread with a wide variety of opinions and input. I have no objection to any of it, as long as it is on topic - and the topic is 'need a better title than boyfriend'. I thank all those who have posted constructive input on the topic.

I don't care.... I was stating some things you should be prepared for by not being married. You seem to be the one posting here with the problem searching for a silly name.

For the poster mentioning Goldie Hawn & Kurt Russel, they had very little financial worries and already were divorced with children when they met. May as well include Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie before someone else does.

So as said this is so ludicrous a topic and discussion. He is your "life partner" (you hope) and the father of your child...... Who really cares what you call him (Partner, Dick, Sperm Donor, Love of my life, one and only, guy I shack up with, soulmate......) and why do YOU HAVE A PROBLEM???????

This is such a stoopid thread......:mad::mad::mad:

I don't care.... I was stating some things you should be prepared for by not being married. You seem to be the one posting here with the problem searching for a silly name.

For the poster mentioning Goldie Hawn & Kurt Russel, they had very little financial worries and already were divorced with children when they met. May as well include Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie before someone else does.

So as said this is so ludicrous a topic and discussion. He is your "life partner" (you hope) and the father of your child...... Who really cares what you call him (Partner, Dick, Sperm Donor, Love of my life, one and only, guy I shack up with, soulmate......) and why do YOU HAVE A PROBLEM???????

This is such a stoopid thread......:mad::mad::mad:

then stop posting here... your negative energy can be felt from over here... :mad:

it's not useful and looks like judgement from my vantage point. she can ask whatever she wants - you can stay away if you don't like it...

on topic... you could call him "your sweet guy" ;)

• Author
Blame the exposure to Australians (I am not Australian, but have quite a few full-blooded Aussie friends). When I call my wife my mate, she calls Aye? I believe in using vaguely specific terms when the r/s is ambiguous for social interpretation. Not that it matters, but since OP wants to introduce her other half, the best way is to stick with such terms to clear up any misunderstandings.

Thanks! I really like 'mate' as well. I hadn't thought of that. Someone else recommended to me refer to him as simply 'my guy'. I like that too. Short, sweet and to the point.