I am applying for a management position...

laRubiaBonita

quit worrying soooo much geeze!

they would not waste their time with a pity interview, LB, trust me; i am sure they have better things to do than to string you along.

wear what you would normally wear to an interview, i like the idea of a jacket that you can put on and dress it more and themn take off to be a bit more casual. and as far as everyone else in your ofice is concern- well they are not of concern. who cares if they think you have some interview or not....

quit worrying about the things not in your control.

Well, if I were interviewing for a position at another site, and it was outside of my normal work hours then I would wear a suit, definately. But considering that the interview (which I suspect is going to be informal) is during my normal work hours AND it is with my direct supervisor, then maybe a suit would not be appropriate.

I disagree. I think it is in fact entirely appropriate that you wear a suit. You should be approaching this interview in exactly the same manner as you would if it were for another company.

I also don't want my other coworkers to know that I am interviewing for it, I did tell a few that I applied, but I don't really want to go around broadcasting it until I actually get the job. If I show up in a suit they will definately think something is up.

But if you are after a management role then you should have the ability to "man-up" now and brave the comments of your colleagues.

I'm really not sure what to expect from this meeting, I suspect that my supervisor will just give me some indication whether or not she is seriously considering me for this job and maybe ask me a few questions. She knows everything about my work already. I worry that this is some sort of "pity interview" that I am not really a canidate, that she is just meeting with me so she can let me down gently. I hope that isn't the case.

I can promise you that as a manager, I have never done a "pity interview". Interviewing is, in my opinion, tougher than being interviewed and I would never interview anybody who I did not think was a genuine potential candidate. Plus if you going into the interview with such a negative attitude, then you have as good as talked yourself out of the job before the interview even starts.

It's not a panel interview, just my immediate supervisor, but if she does ask me technical questions I will answer as if she doesn't already know what I'm going to say.

It's not just the technical stuff. One of the worst things internal candidates will do is not go into sufficient detail about their experience because they assume the interviewer already knows that. Or if asked to talk about themselves, will be overly informal. If you don't tell them xyz which they rate as critical then they can't really take account of what they know of you outside the interview when comparing to other candidates otherwise the interview process is not fair to all.

• Author
I disagree. I think it is in fact entirely appropriate that you wear a suit. You should be approaching this interview in exactly the same manner as you would if it were for another company.

Maybe I could wear a suit and take the jacket off for my actual shift and just wear pants and a button down shirt. That may work.

But if you are after a management role then you should have the ability to "man-up" now and brave the comments of your colleagues.

Good point! This is very true.

I can promise you that as a manager, I have never done a "pity interview". Interviewing is, in my opinion, tougher than being interviewed and I would never interview anybody who I did not think was a genuine potential candidate. Plus if you going into the interview with such a negative attitude, then you have as good as talked yourself out of the job before the interview even starts.

I certainly don't want to have a negitive attitude going into the interview. But just knowing how conflict adverse my supervisor is, it was a concern of mine. She told me I was a potential candidate when I told her I was going to apply, so I will take her word for it.

It's not just the technical stuff. One of the worst things internal candidates will do is not go into sufficient detail about their experience because they assume the interviewer already knows that. Or if asked to talk about themselves, will be overly informal. If you don't tell them xyz which they rate as critical then they can't really take account of what they know of you outside the interview when comparing to other candidates otherwise the interview process is not fair to all.

Thanks for the tips! I have never had an internal interview before, so I'm not sure how to act or what to expect out of it. She will probably ask me how I will handle certain situations, so I plan on going into detail about my management philosophies, just as I would if I were interviewing with someone I didn't know.

What questions do you think she will ask me Anne?

I would think there will be some focus on how you will deal with staffing situations - performance issues, conflict between colleagues, your management style. Also what you see as the most important aspects of the role and the key challenges to you in being successful in the role if offered the post. You don't have to be perfect - recognise and promote your strengths.

But also recognise your weaknesses but try and put a positive spin on these - how you deal with them, how you have developed and worked on yourself in overcoming weaknesses. But don't go on too long about them!

I am trying not to expect it. I guess because I have excelled at my position and have worked so hard, it's more that I feel I DESERVE it.

Well, thing is, just because you have done well in your current position does not necessarily mean you "DESERVE" the promotion to a management position. The question for your hiring supervisor isn't whether you deserve an A+ or a gold star or even a raise for your previous work, but whether you are qualified for a different, future management position.

Anne gave you some very good insight about how to demonstrate that you're qualified to enter management:

I would think there will be some focus on how you will deal with staffing situations - performance issues, conflict between colleagues, your management style. Also what you see as the most important aspects of the role and the key challenges to you in being successful in the role if offered the post. You don't have to be perfect - recognise and promote your strengths.

But also recognise your weaknesses but try and put a positive spin on these - how you deal with them, how you have developed and worked on yourself in overcoming weaknesses. But don't go on too long about them!

• Author
Well, thing is, just because you have done well in your current position does not necessarily mean you "DESERVE" the promotion to a management position. The question for your hiring supervisor isn't whether you deserve an A+ or a gold star or even a raise for your previous work, but whether you are qualified for a different, future management position.

Anne gave you some very good insight about how to demonstrate that you're qualified to enter management:

I think I deserve it, but I have no management experience, so there could be someone else who comes in who deserves it more then me. They may be more qualified, so I will understand that. She won't hire me because I deserve it, I realize that.

Yeah, I like Anne's questions, I suspect she will ask me a lot of those, so I am preparing. I have some experience managing/supervising the volunteers who work in our unit, so I will use some examples of my work with them during the interview.

I think I deserve it, but I have no management experience, so there could be someone else who comes in who deserves it more then me. They may be more qualified, so I will understand that. She won't hire me because I deserve it, I realize that.

Do you understand the difference between deserving and being qualified for the position? I'm a little concerned that you don't. No one deserves a job or promotion. They're qualified for it. To say you deserve the promotion has an air of entitlement that has no place in a manager's mind.

Now, everyone has to start somewhere to get experience, including managers. Just because you've never been a manager doesn't mean you don't have the qualifications if you can demonstrate that you can manage your unit...

So explain to them why you'd be a good manager. In addition to reminding them of your own work history and knowledge of the job responsibilities of those you'll be managing, you'll want to provide examples of your operational knowledge, how you've demonstrated stellar communication skills with colleagues, how you've resolved conflicts amongst your peers, how you've assisted with training colleagues, how you've demonstrated initiative and attention to detail, how you've been able to pick up a dropped ball and run with it, and most importantly, the qualities that make you an excellent leader.

Essentially, you need to dress and act the part of the job you want, not the one you already have, and not just on interview day.

• Author
Do you understand the difference between deserving and being qualified for the position? I'm a little concerned that you don't. No one deserves a job or promotion. They're qualified for it. To say you deserve the promotion has an air of entitlement that has no place in a manager's mind.

I understand the difference. I know people get hired because they are qualified for the job, not because they deserve it. I could say I deserve a CEO position, but I am not qualified, therefore they wouldn't hire me. I'm not trying to act entitled, I guess I'm just anxious to move up.

Another clinical manager position opened up in another department, I'm debating on whether or not to apply for it. I don't want to give my supervisor the impression that if she doesn't hire me for the manager position, that I am going to take off on her. Unfortunately I will need to apply for the position before I probably hear back about this position I'm interviewing for in my unit. My supervisor will DEF be contacted, so I will need to tell her I am applying for another manager position. I'm thinking that I will probably need to just let this other position go, because it would jeapordize the one I am up for in my unit. What does everyone think?

Absolutely apply for that other position as well! The threat of losing a good employee to another unit internally will make her reevaluate whether she wants to promote you, and if not, your got another shot!

It'll only make them take you more seriously.

• Author
Absolutely apply for that other position as well! The threat of losing a good employee to another unit internally will make her reevaluate whether she wants to promote you, and if not, your got another shot!

It'll only make them take you more seriously.

Thanks, I am going to apply for it. I had actually spoken to my supervisor about another clinical manager position with the youth program (I decided not to apply for it though, since I like working with adults), and that's when she told me she thought I was a canidate and that they would be developing a clinical manager position in our unit, but it hadn't come out yet. Then a week later it came out so I applied for it. So she is aware that if I don't get this position, then I will be applying for other management positions. She understands that I want to move on, and that I kind of feel restricted in what I can do with my current position.

• Author

I got an interview on Thursday for the clinical manager position in the other unit! YAY!

• Author

My interview went well today, the qeustions weren't all that hard that were asked and I felt that I had a good vibe with the interviewer. I was open and honest and I think it went well. I am up against several other people so we will see what happens!

• 4 weeks later...