If You've Got It, Should You Flaunt It...?

USMCHokie

But I now realize that I'm more than just a body and that I have plenty of other attractive traits which I'm trying to put forward in lieu of my body. However, you seem to have an incredibly rigid mentality that there is absolutely no occasion to "flaunt" when you're "secure" with yourself. If I were to appear in public even once without a shirt (e.g., a charity underwear run), then you'd say that I'm terribly insecure.

Nope. SECURE people running around half naked ARE doing it for fun. INSECURE people take opportunities to do it to be more desirable to the opposite sex.

I just don't see how you changed your spots in a matter of a couple weeks.

But I now realize that I'm more than just a body and that I have plenty of other attractive traits which I'm trying to put forward in lieu of my body. However, you seem to have an incredibly rigid mentality that there is absolutely no occasion to "flaunt" when you're "secure" with yourself. If I were to appear in public even once without a shirt (e.g., a charity underwear run), then you'd say that I'm terribly insecure. Can I not have fun once in a while?

I wholeheartedly believe that one can be secure with what he's got and still have occasion to have some fun and flaunt a little. There's no harm in it. If you're turned off by it, then you're turned off by it. I can live with that. And you say that I'm lying or putting on a front, but that's merely from your perspective. To each their own.

my mother is like that, she is rigid and conservative. you obviously want a more liberal and easy going woman. forget what your ex is like, find someone whose personality suits you more and who isn't so judgemental. live and learn :)

I don't see what the big deal is either. When OP had his shirtless pic as his avie, it drew attention, which was heightened via the who would you boink thread. He's 27, single, nothing wrong with marketing one's assets and being attractive, it's generally how we draw attention and generate interest. The physical is one aspect of that and I think most of us can agree on that.

Edited by Jannah
Ruby Slippers
I don't know how I missed this thread, but i've stopped reading after this post.

SG, I know him IRL. I've hung out with him on several occasions. As a matter of fact, I believe i've known him longer than you. So, it's safe to say that I know the real Hokie too.

That being said, we all know Hokie is a great guy. He has an amazing personality. He's smart, funny, kind, caring, the list could go on and on. He has worked for the body he has now. Worked for it. He didn't pop out of his mothers womb with it. He pushed himself constantly to get to the point he is at today.

All that being said, why shouldn't he flaunt it? He knows he has great personality traits (which all of us do too), and he 'flaunts' those right here on LS. Should we bash him for being proud of his qualities? Should we tell him to 'tone it down'?

In my opinion, absolutely not! Hokie, you go out there in your undies, if you so please, and run screaming to the world that you are proud of your body! :laugh::laugh:

Agreed.

The best part of this thread was watching Hokie finally stand up to Star Gazer. I've been wondering for months why he took her endless criticism.

Agreed.

The best part of this thread was watching Hokie finally stand up to Star Gazer. I've been wondering for months why he took her endless criticism.

Yep, I liked this too ;)

Speaking in very general terms, if you possess a certain quality, trait, special skill or talent, any personal, educational or career achievement(s), or have any other remarkable characteristic about yourself, do you find it better to let it all out on the table right away or conceal it and reveal it only when appropriate or necessary?

In other words, when you are dating or even just approaching someone, would you rather act relatively average so that you can "surprise" someone later on or flaunt what you've got in hopes that it makes you seem more desirable right away? Likewise, would you rather have someone reveal themselves right away to fuel the attraction, or would you rather be pleasantly surprised later on?

What do you personally prefer to do? And what do you respond better to?

It’s fairly human and natural to be proud of one's accomplishments. Your achievements, talents and abilities are part of the cartography of the whole person. I don’t see it as nullifying other parts of who you are if you are proud and wish to share your talents , etc with others. Sure, most people don't trust narcissists and garden variety braggarts, but feeling proud of who you are without belittling others shows a level of natural regard and self esteem that is usually attractive to others. Most people shy away from milquetoasts or are scornful.

Thus if your accomplishments are portrayed in a natural way, I don't see the harm nor do I see it as being insecure.

• Author

In case anyone didn't pick up on it already or know me well enough to assume this, I thought it was fairly obvious I was running in the Undie Run to blatantly expose my body to the wonderful people of DC. And the cold.

In case anyone didn't pick up on it already or know me well enough to assume this, I thought it was fairly obvious I was running in the Undie Run to blatantly expose my body to the wonderful people of DC. And the cold.

USMCHokie, I don't know you but there's obviously a lot going on that has come out in this thread that perhaps should have stayed in PMs.

You're running in this charity event and a number of people have come out in support of what you're doing.

Is it wise to revive and continue the thread in this vein when the thread had already started to come to a natural end?

:bunny::bunny::bunny:!I will be in town and my honey and I will cheer you on...oh and can you post your sizzling photos on your album again...:lmao::lmao::lmao:!!!

I am just teasing....;)

Ruby Slippers

I admit that the first thing that caught my attention about you was your hot bod.

However, what was much cooler to me than checking out your bod was talking to you a little and getting to know what a cool, funny, positive, encouraging, good guy you are, too. You're the whole enchilada. Something about you helped revive my hope in men. (Just a little. I still think ya bastids. :laugh:)

Flaunting is a big turn off for me. I hate it. I prefer a guy who chooses to be humble and not say "look at me" all the time. Which is quite odd because initially I'm usually very attracted to guys who ooze arrogance.

Interesting discussion. I think the healthy path is the middle, of course: Don't flaunt, but don't hide your light. Be who you are, own it, know your strengths, know your weaknesses, and be proud of who you are. If "flaunting" just means having fun with and being proud of your better attributes, then flaunt away, but getting in people's faces with attitude or superiority will always backfire.

I prefer:

If you've got it, love it.

If you love something about yourself -- really love it, take pride in it, it makes you happy -- then people will see that shine through, in a positive way. If you get so busy trying to show other people something, they'll usually miss the point. Human nature is weird.

If "flaunting" just means having fun with and being proud of your better attributes, then flaunt away, but getting in people's faces with attitude or superiority will always backfire.

[...]

If you get so busy trying to show other people something, they'll usually miss the point. Human nature is weird.

news to me. flaunting usually gets me laid

news to me. flaunting usually gets me laid

Well. . . you're a girl. So, I wouldn't imagine getting laid would be difficult. I could probably spit at a guy and still get him to sleep with me, if I wanted. I guess it depends on what you're after, though I think if a gal thinks getting laid is an achievement, she's setting the bar pretty low. Do any women really have difficulty with this?

Well. . . you're a girl. So, I wouldn't imagine getting laid would be difficult. I could probably spit at a guy and still get him to sleep with me, if I wanted. I guess it depends on what you're after, though I think if a gal thinks getting laid is an achievement, she's setting the bar pretty low. Do any women really have difficulty with this?

:laugh::laugh: I can assure you sweetie that men that flaunt get laid too. check out the bars on Saturday nights, there is a reason why they are full of men wearing tight t-shirts on their muscley bodies. I'm sure they could wear something less revealing but that would mean their best mate got laid instead :cool:

:laugh::laugh: I can assure you sweetie that men that flaunt get laid too. check out the bars on Saturday nights, there is a reason why they are full of men wearing tight t-shirts on their muscley bodies. I'm sure they could wear something less revealing but that would mean their best mate got laid instead :cool:

I know lots of men that don't 'flaunt' it in the Jersey Shore way you mention who get laid. And lots of those types of guys who strike out. Obviously, men who (a) look better and (b) approach more women are more likely to get laid. But then, maybe I don't go to those types of bars.

I don't understand the remark. I don't know you nor am I active member to understand the undertow of this thread. I was attempting to answer the question directly without going off topic. If the answer was inappropiate then please report it.

• Author
Why is it you're only planning to go topless on this flaunting run of yours?

Well, I'm still debating how "brief" I want to go... :rolleyes::laugh:

• Author
I don't understand the remark. I don't know you nor am I active member to understand the undertow of this thread. I was attempting to answer the question directly without going off topic. If the answer was inappropiate then please report it.

The response was not aimed at your post, so no worries. I actually found your posts inciteful and informative, so thanks.

• Author
:bunny::bunny::bunny:!I will be in town and my honey and I will cheer you on...oh and can you post your sizzling photos on your album again...:lmao::lmao::lmao:!!!

I am just teasing....;)

Hahah, awesome.

• Author
I admit that the first thing that caught my attention about you was your hot bod.

However, what was much cooler to me than checking out your bod was talking to you a little and getting to know what a cool, funny, positive, encouraging, good guy you are, too. You're the whole enchilada. Something about you helped revive my hope in men. (Just a little. I still think ya bastids. :laugh:)

Thanks for the kind words, Ruby. And this brings up another question I have about this general topic...

Does it matter what "order" you learn about a person? That is, does it make a difference whether you see the physical first and then realize the internal was better than you expected, or get to know the person and his/her personality and then find out the physical is better than you expected?

These are the general types of questions I had intended on discussing in this thread...

Hokie, I like you, but I agree that you seem pretty insecure. You value the wrong things about yourself. That said, I don't expect you or anyone to change permanently in the course of a couple of weeks or even months. Baby steps. I think it's OK for you to do the run, as long as you're making an effort in general to get over this obsession. Are you?