Do ex's ever try to get back in touch?

Mine just did after 4 months split and 3 1/2 months NC. First time she's contacted me since she left. Didn't think she would. Not sure how I feel about it but I know it doesn't change anything.

New thread with email here

http://www.loveshack.org/forums/t260948/

Edited by strangeways
  • 1 month later...

J0N, you've been a dumper too. Have you gotten in touch with any of the girls you broke up with?

Looking at all these posts ive noticed that girls are more likely to make contact than men, any stories of guys gettiing back in touch with their ex's? even after dating women during the break

x

worldgonewrong
Looking at all these posts ive noticed that girls are more likely to make contact than men

In my case, I find that kind of vaguely reassuring. We'll see... ;)

Looking at all these posts ive noticed that girls are more likely to make contact than men, any stories of guys gettiing back in touch with their ex's? even after dating women during the break

x

That's an interesting question. I have found on here and in the regular world that it's the girls who usually always transition into a new relationship often times very quickly. (That's the ideal situation) I think that's why it's girls that will typically contact an ex down the road after quite a long period of time. Once the new exciting guy kind of wears off his shine they star looking back to the good old days. This is assuming you have been totally out of her life for a long time. All of this is assuming your relationship was a fairly good one.

It's happened to me 2 out of 3 LTRS. As for the third it's only been about 8 months or so, so time will tell, but if history repeats itself-well you know what I mean

• Author
J0N, you've been a dumper too. Have you gotten in touch with any of the girls you broke up with?

Yes, I felt really bad about the first one. We dated for a little over two years, and it was very serious. Honestly I just fell out of love with her, and it happened somewhat quickly. I just didn't see us together anymore. It was one of those situations where she simply just would not take no for an answer. I ended up acting like an a**hole, but she had been stalking me. I sent her an email about a year after the breakup, saying that I was sorry for being such a jerk.

When I sent that email I had absolutely no intention of ever dating her again, and she did have a new boyfriend. She replied with something along the lines of "I loved you, and you f***** me over, DO NOT EVER CONTACT ME AGAIN." She is friends with my little brother and they do hang out, she is STILL (6 years later) very bitter. I haven't contacted her since, and probably never will again. Keep in mind, I was never abusive or anything. She just took it pretty hard. I felt terrible about it and it took me a while to get over her.

I have always thought that once a girl makes up her mind about someone, there is nothing that will ever change it. My current ex left me, more than 120 days ago. I would be absolutely stunned if I ever hear from her again. The difference here is that with my current ex, I realized that she was determined to end it. So I let her, peacefully. I did not beg, yell, cry or anything, I just went over to her apartment a few hours later with a small box of her stuff that was at my place and left it on her doorstep. I left a note in it saying that I understood her decision, and that if she ever needs anything just let me know. I got a package in the mail three weeks later with the same note from her, it was my stuff.

It has been really hard for me, but I have come to terms with the fact that I will never hear from her again. I wish her well, and I have buried the hatchet. Holding grudges is pointless in my opinion.

I have come to terms with the fact that I will never hear from her again. I wish her well.

I think this is something I'll have to come to terms with quickly as well. It's only been 5 weeks since the breakup and only 1 week since I last saw her to sort out the last of our finances/loose ends etc but I really think I'll never hear from her again.

Before we met last week it was obvious, through mutual friends and from the last scraps of info I gleamed from Facebook before I deleted all trace, that she'd found the end of the relationship a big relief and had already moved on. Mutual friends said that she seemed to grieve the loss of the relationship for a few days, a week at most and then seemingly got over it and launched herself into her new life. It was clear to me even then that she wouldn't look back.

Then we met up to sort out loose ends. Whilst making small talk as we were waiting for stuff to happen, we spoke of what we had planned for the coming weeks. I stupidly engaged in this conversation. Anyway, after the meet up, I accidentally saw her Facebook status after a mutual friend sent me a screenshot of a totally unrelated matter but happened to have her Facebook page up in the background. It said that basically, having met with me, she can now see that we're both doing better after the breakup so it was a good thing to do. That's BS, because I'm not doing well and I'm only filling my social calendar to get my mind off the fact that I want her back. She now thinks that I've wanted to do all these things all along and she was holding me back, which isn't true. I'm engineering the whole thing to keep me busy, half the time I don't want to do these things but the alternative is to sit depressed in an empty house. This justification on her part has helped her come to terms with the breakup completely and move on after only 5 weeks.

So to sum up, I really don't think mine will ever contact me again because first off, she didn't want to be with me anymore, secondly, I've stated I can't do the 'friend' thing and she seems fine with that, and thirdly, she's now able to justify her reasons for us being apart.

Beleive it or not, but this is exactly how I broke up with my ex ex...Don't want to give you any hopes or any dissapointment, but what happened to me was that I just went on a summer-camp for 15 days..for the history (we dated for 1 year and things were going great all the time)...so at this summer camp I met another guy and I fell in love with him....when I came back after 15 days I ended it with my ex very abruptly and just the way you described...I just didn't love him anymore (even though we were planning to go on a trip together just in 2 weeks and things were going great between us)...

So there you go...Of course I felt guilty, but its been 3 years since and I never contacted him again....I was just over it....he contacted me twice, but once again - I was so over him.

I think if a girl ends it like this,its most probably because she had found another one. You know, when people suffer, cry, try to stay friends with you after or just before they break up with you, it shows that they still got some emotions, some feelings left. But if they just call you one day or text you saying "sorry, im done with you" - Bam! and never make a peep again, I think this is the toughest break up, but I also think that it shows that they are over you.

I told you my story not to dissapoint you, but I hope it helps you to move on with your life. I'm really sorry if I have broken your mood, but I just tried to be honest with you...

Girls are more cruel than guys, and usually, they don't doubt their decisions after they have made them..In MOST of the cases, if they end it up with you, no matter how, the are over with it forever.

I think someone who does this kind of stuff is kinda cruel and cant be trusted under no circumstances because all it takes is for someone to light their fire and boom you just leave. No explanation....just gone. The guy may not realize it but you did him a favor. Please Please Please understand, Im not attacking you per say but to just leave someone cold blooded like this is not cool. It seems like it is alll alll alll about you and that it.

Beleive it or not, but this is exactly how I broke up with my ex ex...Don't want to give you any hopes or any dissapointment, but what happened to me was that I just went on a summer-camp for 15 days..for the history (we dated for 1 year and things were going great all the time)...so at this summer camp I met another guy and I fell in love with him....when I came back after 15 days I ended it with my ex very abruptly and just the way you described...I just didn't love him anymore (even though we were planning to go on a trip together just in 2 weeks and things were going great between us)...

So there you go...Of course I felt guilty, but its been 3 years since and I never contacted him again....I was just over it....he contacted me twice, but once again - I was so over him.

I think if a girl ends it like this,its most probably because she had found another one. You know, when people suffer, cry, try to stay friends with you after or just before they break up with you, it shows that they still got some emotions, some feelings left. But if they just call you one day or text you saying "sorry, im done with you" - Bam! and never make a peep again, I think this is the toughest break up, but I also think that it shows that they are over you.

I told you my story not to dissapoint you, but I hope it helps you to move on with your life. I'm really sorry if I have broken your mood, but I just tried to be honest with you...

Girls are more cruel than guys, and usually, they don't doubt their decisions after they have made them..In MOST of the cases, if they end it up with you, no matter how, the are over with it forever.

I hope one day someone pulls the rug from under your feet JUST so you can see how it feels.

SimonSerenade

My ex contacted me today, not talked to her since early january, been on and off with no contact until early january, since then I hadn't talked to her at all then she randomly rings me today on house phone, I was shell shocked, didn't know what to say, she told me she'd lost her job and whatever else, sounded quite sad to be honest, I didn't stay on the phone with her for long though, 5 maybe 10 minutes at most and just said I was busy and had to go, don't know what it means and to be honest, don't want to, just want to keep going forward in life :) and though she's an ass, I still wish her the best for who ever she may find in the future, I think I'm making some huge progress to be honest.

Basically all my exes have got back in contact with me after dumping me and absolutely no good came of it if anything it just made me feel worse.

yeah, my exes come back too. my last ex came back...we wind up in the bed and then he asked could we be friends. Im like, no way. I think this time he is gone for good. I told him I dont want to be friends so there was nothing left. Its kinda sad but I dont think being friends would have done me any good...more like worst. Good move on my part, even tho it made me sad.

Yes, I felt really bad about the first one. We dated for a little over two years, and it was very serious. Honestly I just fell out of love with her, and it happened somewhat quickly. I just didn't see us together anymore. It was one of those situations where she simply just would not take no for an answer. I ended up acting like an a**hole, but she had been stalking me. I sent her an email about a year after the breakup, saying that I was sorry for being such a jerk.

When I sent that email I had absolutely no intention of ever dating her again, and she did have a new boyfriend. She replied with something along the lines of "I loved you, and you f***** me over, DO NOT EVER CONTACT ME AGAIN." She is friends with my little brother and they do hang out, she is STILL (6 years later) very bitter. I haven't contacted her since, and probably never will again. Keep in mind, I was never abusive or anything. She just took it pretty hard. I felt terrible about it and it took me a while to get over her.

I have always thought that once a girl makes up her mind about someone, there is nothing that will ever change it. My current ex left me, more than 120 days ago. I would be absolutely stunned if I ever hear from her again. The difference here is that with my current ex, I realized that she was determined to end it. So I let her, peacefully. I did not beg, yell, cry or anything, I just went over to her apartment a few hours later with a small box of her stuff that was at my place and left it on her doorstep. I left a note in it saying that I understood her decision, and that if she ever needs anything just let me know. I got a package in the mail three weeks later with the same note from her, it was my stuff.

It has been really hard for me, but I have come to terms with the fact that I will never hear from her again. I wish her well, and I have buried the hatchet. Holding grudges is pointless in my opinion.

I asked this because it serves a dual purpose. One, your actions answered your initial question. "Do ex's ever try to get back in touch?" Yes, it's possible that exes will get in touch. I mean, in spite of the bad blood between you and your first ex, you still got in touch right? So you already know that it's possible that your current ex will get in touch with you again. It's just that you know better: you will move on, believing that she will never get in touch again. I'm sure that your first ex thought the same way - and yet, you got in touch again, regardless of your intentions.

I know, apples and oranges. Two different circumstances with two different women. I didn't bring it up to get you back to dwelling in hope, but you do know that it's possible she will get in touch. You've done it before, so at least recognize that the possibility exists.

The second purpose: I hoped that I would get a story from that first ex so that you can share with us what that ex did that forced you to end up "acting like an a**hole" to her. It's obvious she did things that a dumpee shouldn't do and whatever her actions were after the break-up, it reinforced your decision of breaking up as having been the right one. A year later, you at least felt bad enough because you realized you acted poorly towards her too. And... yet with you being the dumper, it still took time for you to get over her!

She had been stalking you you said, but what else did she do to you that forced you to stop acting civilly and become mean towards her? There's value in your perspective as a dumper, J0N, for our visitor dumpees here, especially the ones who have trouble wrapping their heads around the value of NC. So I hope you'll share some more of that, if you're okay with it.

Finally, I share your belief in not holding grudges. Our dumpers acted according to what they thought was best for them, no more, no less.

• Author

Ok. Here is my story.

I was young; I got into a great college. It was close enough to home that we could have stayed together. My parents and friends started saying to me that I should consider breaking up with her, because I would get the most out of the college experience. 99% of people that go to college in a relationship do not last, after 4 years at school this is absolutely true. My ex did not get into my school; she really had no drive whatsoever, she sort of punted on the whole college thing. She planned to just baby sit for her neighbors, until she got into college, she had stopped applying though. I don’t want to sound like a snob but I think her parents liked me and my family for the wrong reasons. To be absolutely honest, I just was getting tired of the same old thing every weekend. We got along really well though.

After a few weeks of thinking it over. I decided that I would break up with her. I was concerned that she would take it really hard. So I suggested meeting up in a park, to break up with her face to face. I wanted to be nice about it. When I tried to tell her she slapped me, and started weeping. I caved and didn’t end up breaking up with her. I tried a couple weeks later, same story. I ended up trying to break up with her four or five times face to face. I eventually tried breaking up over the phone, this worked. After that she would call and text me like crazy, and even started calling my parents. I got tons of calls and texts every day for a couple weeks, begging, pleading, for me not to leave her. Again I really never wanted to be mean, but I had her phone number blocked from my phone. My parents also called hers, and asked for her to stop calling our house. I then blocked her on Facebook. We still aren’t friends.

I felt really bad about having to use some force, but I did not want to date a girl because I would feel guilty for leaving her. I wanted to go out and experience life. Plus while we were dating she had let herself go, she stopped working out and had put on a bunch of weight. To me it seemed like she thought I was going to be her sugar daddy and she wasn’t going to have to do anything.

My only regret was being a jerk to her, and I did feel bad about it. After we broke up, I was lonely; this is why it took me a while to get over her. I didn’t really miss her though. To this day she has still not gone to college, and she weighs 100 pounds more than she used to. I am not a shallow guy, but I do my best to stay in decent shape. I want to look good for my significant other, she used to be really athletic when we first started dating but then just totally fell off. A girl should at least take care of herself.

I know that my previous actions sort of answer my question. The only reason that I contacted my previous ex, is that I felt guilty, not because I wanted her back. I just wanted to see what everyone else’s experience was with the matter. Theoretically it is very possible for my ex to have gone into deep depression after leaving me and be forcing herself everyday to not call me, I just don’t think that is the case.

I think that most exes try to reach their ex partners, but in 90% of the cases they just do it to see what are you up to, or to see if you're moaning and crying over the breakup. They do it to get validation and feel that they are still important in your life. All of this doesn't mean that they want to get back at all.

And of course, there's the 10% of the cases in which they do want to establish a contact because for whatever reasons they want to give the relationship another try.

It would be important to say that in this last case, accepting immediately would not be a good idea. After months or weeks of NC, we should be more able to see if this relationship is something that we still want for us.

In my case, it's been almost 70 days of NC. If she should happen to contact me, I would assess if she's doing it just because she wants to hook up or if she really wants me back. If it's the second scenario, I would have her work to win me over, and make me fall in love for her. Now, it would be her job to be with me because as I read in this same forum, I don't want to chase exes who gave up the relationship.

In these 70 days, I have grown as a person, learned from my mistakes, and know what to do the next time I'm in a relationship. So I have to treasure what I am and be sure I give it to a person who is really worth it. If she hasn't changed or at least has the willingness to admit her bad behaviors in order to change them, why would I want to be with her again if I know things would repeat themselves?

I still love her and miss her, but I'm aware that if she doesn't want to to her part, I can walk away and find a better, more beautiful, more affectionate girl who really wants to be with me and has the traits that I'm looking for.

Many times, we want what we can't have, or what is confortable even though we're not happy in that relationship. It's important to have an abundance mentality. The world is packed with great men and women waiting for us to meet them.

Let's not live our lives on a hope that we know it's unlikely to happen.

• Author
I think that most exes try to reach their ex partners, but in 90% of the cases they just do it to see what are you up to, or to see if you're moaning and crying over the breakup. They do it to get validation and feel that they are still important in your life. All of this doesn't mean that they want to get back at all.

And of course, there's the 10% of the cases in which they do want to establish a contact because for whatever reasons they want to give the relationship another try.

It would be important to say that in this last case, accepting immediately would not be a good idea. After months or weeks of NC, we should be more able to see if this relationship is something that we still want for us.

In my case, it's been almost 70 days of NC. If she should happen to contact me, I would assess if she's doing it just because she wants to hook up or if she really wants me back. If it's the second scenario, I would have her work to win me over, and make me fall in love for her. Now, it would be her job to be with me because as I read in this same forum, I don't want to chase exes who gave up the relationship.

In these 70 days, I have grown as a person, learned from my mistakes, and know what to do the next time I'm in a relationship. So I have to treasure what I am and be sure I give it to a person who is really worth it. If she hasn't changed or at least has the willingness to admit her bad behaviors in order to change them, why would I want to be with her again if I know things would repeat themselves?

I still love her and miss her, but I'm aware that if she doesn't want to to her part, I can walk away and find a better, more beautiful, more affectionate girl who really wants to be with me and has the traits that I'm looking for.

Many times, we want what we can't have, or what is confortable even though we're not happy in that relationship. It's important to have an abundance mentality. The world is packed with great men and women waiting for us to meet them.

Let's not live our lives on a hope that we know it's unlikely to

happen.

It sounds like you have come a long way. I couldn't agree with what you said more. Nice work on the 70 days of NC, it can be really tough at times. Ive been there too.

Ok. Here is my story.

I was young; I got into a great college. It was close enough to home that we could have stayed together. My parents and friends started saying to me that I should consider breaking up with her, because I would get the most out of the college experience. 99% of people that go to college in a relationship do not last, after 4 years at school this is absolutely true. My ex did not get into my school; she really had no drive whatsoever, she sort of punted on the whole college thing. She planned to just baby sit for her neighbors, until she got into college, she had stopped applying though. I don’t want to sound like a snob but I think her parents liked me and my family for the wrong reasons. To be absolutely honest, I just was getting tired of the same old thing every weekend. We got along really well though.

After a few weeks of thinking it over. I decided that I would break up with her. I was concerned that she would take it really hard. So I suggested meeting up in a park, to break up with her face to face. I wanted to be nice about it. When I tried to tell her she slapped me, and started weeping. I caved and didn’t end up breaking up with her. I tried a couple weeks later, same story. I ended up trying to break up with her four or five times face to face. I eventually tried breaking up over the phone, this worked. After that she would call and text me like crazy, and even started calling my parents. I got tons of calls and texts every day for a couple weeks, begging, pleading, for me not to leave her. Again I really never wanted to be mean, but I had her phone number blocked from my phone. My parents also called hers, and asked for her to stop calling our house. I then blocked her on Facebook. We still aren’t friends.

I felt really bad about having to use some force, but I did not want to date a girl because I would feel guilty for leaving her. I wanted to go out and experience life. Plus while we were dating she had let herself go, she stopped working out and had put on a bunch of weight. To me it seemed like she thought I was going to be her sugar daddy and she wasn’t going to have to do anything.

My only regret was being a jerk to her, and I did feel bad about it. After we broke up, I was lonely; this is why it took me a while to get over her. I didn’t really miss her though. To this day she has still not gone to college, and she weighs 100 pounds more than she used to. I am not a shallow guy, but I do my best to stay in decent shape. I want to look good for my significant other, she used to be really athletic when we first started dating but then just totally fell off. A girl should at least take care of herself.

Good stuff, J0N. Thank you for sharing with us what was an an ugly period in your life. The desperate contact is her expressing her grief at losing you, but it's sad to see that the dumpees here on LS are acting in a similar nature. They have no idea that they're sabotaging their own possibility of getting their ex back because behavior and healing post-break up is also influential in this.

I forgot to suggest that it might be helpful to share it as a new thread, but at least a dumper's perspective is out there; you have a different purpose for being here and it's got nothing to do with that first relationship. Again, thanks for sharing.

I hope many dumpees will read your story as J0N the dumper. You've really conducted yourself well throughout this break-up and it sounds like you're healing well.

I know that my previous actions sort of answer my question. The only reason that I contacted my previous ex, is that I felt guilty, not because I wanted her back. I just wanted to see what everyone else’s experience was with the matter. Theoretically it is very possible for my ex to have gone into deep depression after leaving me and be forcing herself everyday to not call me, I just don’t think that is the case.

One of my exes got in touch with me again at some point. I don't remember how long it took him to get in touch, but I remember he did. We didn't get back together, it became more of a non-negotiated FWB situation: I thought he wanted to get back with me, but he just wanted some. The effects on me were devastating and I was able to finally walk away from it all when I sought counseling and learned about NC. I have no interest in speaking to him again on a personal level and whatever minute respect I have for him is due to the fact that he's left me alone.

Another ex (junior high boyfriend HA!) got in touch years after. Funny how Facebook brings people together. There's really nothing between us anymore and I was not expecting to hear from him ever again. He was my puppy love.

Previous exes in which I was a dumper, I tried to contact again to catch up and I never thought I would feel the desire to get in touch with them again. They wanted nothing to do with me, which I understood.

• Author

That first girl I dumped really taught me a lot about what NOT to do should I ever get dumped. In my current situation once I realized what my most recent ex was getting at, and that she no longer had any desire to work out our issues I simply let her leave me. There were a few sappy text messages during the first day but the next morning I sent her a text simply saying that I was going to take a few giant steps back and go my own way. I told her that I did not hate her for what she did, and she would always hold a place in my heart.

I thought about how if I ran into her in a few years when I was truly over it, maybe we could be friends, or at bare minimum she would still respect me. Instead of her remembering me as J0n the psycho who wouldn't stop calling and/or leave her alone.

They say that your actions in the last few days of a relationship will be how she/he remembers the whole thing. I want her to look back on our relationship together and think, "he was a really great guy, but we wanted different things."

Every time I think about the way my past ex acted I think "man am I glad to be out of that relationship"

I think I will write up a new thread on this topic, I sort of hyjacked my own thread haha.

• 2 weeks later...

I have to say that all my exes get in contact with me also when I do NC. I even told one not to contact me again and he did anyways.....when you are a good person and did good things while you were in the relationship with them they will miss that! Even if the wont admit it. That is why they come back.

And yes NC is for your healing and for you to move on. But lets keep it real we all want to feel as if the ex wants to be in contact with us even if they dont. We all want to be wanted by someone. So dont let anyone make you feel bad because you want your ex to contact you again. Its okay to feel that way. You just need to decide if you or how you will respond if they do contact you again. And if they dont then oh well. I say its thier loss not yours ! They just havent come to a place in thier life that they realize it and they may not ever. So you have to ask yourself the question do you really want to be with someone who doesnt know or value your worth?

Hang in there and be blessed!

Edited by cookie7

Every single ex I have had has contacted me back.

The methods of contact have changed, as have their intentions. Its ranged from anything from an apologetic, overly emotional email to a random text asking to get together (we ended on VERY bad terms) to drunkenly telling me she was in an 'open relationship' and that we should sleep together (which I later learned was a lie - I turned down her offer).

So far, my last ex hasn't...but I would be surprised if she doesnt in some format.

Every single ex I have had has contacted me back.

The methods of contact have changed, as have their intentions. Its ranged from anything from an apologetic, overly emotional email to a random text asking to get together (we ended on VERY bad terms) to drunkenly telling me she was in an 'open relationship' and that we should sleep together (which I later learned was a lie - I turned down her offer).

So far, my last ex hasn't...but I would be surprised if she doesnt in some format.

She texted you? After ending on bad terms? How weird.

I have to say that all my exes get in contact with me also when I do NC. I even told one not to contact me again and he did anyways.....when you are a good person and did good things while you were in the relationship with them they will miss that! Even if the wont admit it. That is why they come back.

Isn't it strange how that happens? :lmao::lmao: It's reasonable to think that they forget the bad and also the good, but for a lot of the contact or reconciliation situations I've read/heard/experienced, it's because they still remembered the good. Meanwhile, the dumpee's there thinking "You know, I really thought we were done. I believed it, I moved on because I was absolutely certain that you weren't coming back - and you came back? What on earth is going on with that?!"

Curious, curious.

happythroughout

I would be thrilled if my recent ex contacted me. I know people say there's no point in any form of contact but I feel I have things I needed to say, to convey exactly what I wasn't happy about (actually just one thing).

Can I will him in any way to contact me? :p

• Like 1

My ex and I dated twice and after the first time he broke up with me.. it took him about 4-5 weeks to write up saying he wanted to be friends. 6 months later, we dated. We dated for about a year this last time. During those 6 months we'd have on/off friendship and NC. He'd come around every time...

He comes around about a month or so of NC. Right now I'm day 12 of NC (2 days after breakup did I begin). So I'm expecting something within the next two weeks or so. It's pretty bad that my ex has a pattern... but it's good that I can see it coming and know what to do to stop him.

Isn't it strange how that happens? :lmao::lmao: It's reasonable to think that they forget the bad and also the good, but for a lot of the contact or reconciliation situations I've read/heard/experienced, it's because they still remembered the good. Meanwhile, the dumpee's there thinking "You know, I really thought we were done. I believed it, I moved on because I was absolutely certain that you weren't coming back - and you came back? What on earth is going on with that?!"

Curious, curious.

it's always when you move on, i remember the girl who dumped me through a txt msg, 5 months later after I was fine with it moved on dating someone else she sent me a facebook msg begging for me back

• Like 1