How to look professional

• Author

Thanks for the advice. I'm heading to Holt Renfrew today, as they happen to have a sale!

Even with tights and boots? I thought one of your go-to outfits right now is a skirt and kitten heels?

Good point! It was an unseasonably warm day when I wrote that thread. But you're right. When I wear skirts I usually wear boots to get to work and then switch to the kitten heels. I'll keep doing that until I have a decent amount of slacks in the wardrobe.

Does it really matter if you are being mistaken for a student?

It doesn't bother me that students mistake me for a student, but it bothers me that colleagues mistake me for a student. I want them to take me seriously.

Afishwithabike is right about how I speak. I don't do use "whatever" or "like", but I sometimes present my ideas with a qualifier: "What if we did..." instead of "here is what we should do...". I use "I think" all of the time, even on this forum. I'll start trying to edit those out. Teaching will probably help with this, as it's impossible to teach in "I think" form.

To be honest, I really didn't know a professor's job was one you had to dress up for, as opposed to corporate/customer-front. It's one of the minor reasons I'm aiming for one. :D Most of the profs I know, both male and female, dress in a relatively simple and subdued manner.

Totally! Most of my colleagues wear jeans to work, except on days when they are teaching. The women tend to dress up more than the men, with the youngest women dressing up the most. Maybe we all feel the same "legitimacy" issues...

Thanks Creighton for the ID idea, but it wouldn't fly in this work environment.

Long winter skirts with a nice pair of brown leather boots, or tweed or wool pants. You might even want to try a darker hair color, that can be aging but in a good way.

Thanks for the advice. I'm heading to Holt Renfrew today, as they happen to have a sale!

So, DISH already Kamille. What did you get at Holt Renfrew? :D

• Author
So, DISH already Kamille. What did you get at Holt Renfrew? :D

I got a basic black suit: straight leg pants and a black blazer. It matches the black pencil skirt I already have, so I have one full suit.

I figure I'll start with the basics and then add pieces that have pizazz. I would like to have a grey suit like this one, maybe a nice clean cut pair of jeans and then I could mix and match outfits.

I'm also paying more attention to what other people are wearing, as a way to figure out my own professional style.

Strangely enough, the senior people where I work tend to dress more casually. They look focussed on the job and tend to carry papers and pens rather then flash briefcases. Generally, the smart, dressed-up look stands out a mile and tends to indicate that someone is a newcomer, a student, a rep or a business person rather than an academic.

Demeanour is important. Looking like you know where you are going and what you are doing indicates familiarity with your environment and therefore that you are established. Calmness and an air of relaxed confidence that doesn't need to be demonstrated also indicates status. Attitude towards support staff makes a difference too - high-status people usually have no need to demonstrate it by putting support staff down; instead, they are happy to joke with them and spend a few minutes chatting. Funny how none of these things involve buying expensive clothing or shoes!

Edited by spiderowl
  • Author
Strangely enough, the senior people where I work tend to dress more casually. They look focussed on the job and tend to carry papers and pens rather then flash briefcases.

Demeanour is important. Looking like you know where you are going and what you are doing indicates familiarity with your environment and therefore that you are established. Calmness and an air of relaxed confidence that doesn't need to be demonstrated also indicates status. Attitude towards support staff makes a difference too - high-status people usually have no need to demonstrate it by putting support staff down; instead, they are happy to joke with them and spend a few minutes chatting.

Thanks for this part of your input spiderowl. As to your remark on clothes, I can assure you professional outfits are well within my budget.

This is a tough one. I dress like a college kid most of the time! haha.

But, when I have important meeting, I do want to look older, since I can pass for younger. I suggest looking at celebrity photos of women whose style you find interesting or want to emulate, or flip through some fashion mags for some inspiration. Be like, "THIS is what I want to look like," and then try to recreate that style.

But as a rule, go for tailored pieces that fit well. And no hoodies. :p

• 1 month later...
  • Author

Thanks all!

I have to say, I'm starting to enjoy the look of shock on people's face when they mistake me for a student and I tell them I'm a professor. Especially when they're mortgage brokers. (Not that I'm looking for a house just yet, I'm just investigating my options as a way to plan for the future).

It's like that moment in Pretty Women when Julia Roberts can suddenly afford fancy clothes, even though the store attendants act like she shouldn't be there. This one guy spoke to me like I was obviously going to be unable to afford much. You should have seen him pedal to recover when he found out I wasn't a student. (And yes, I was dressed professionally that day).

Edited by Kamille

There are so many ways to look professional in the business. First of all you have to wear the formals in the business. Then wear the party shoes with it. Then improve the communication skill and speak politely. Thus you can look professionals.

I find that the best way to be taken seriously is to have a good contribution to make. I'm always mistaken as younger than I am, though I neither court that nor avoid it. But it doesn't get in the way of being taken seriously. I know my stuff, and I'm confident, and that assurance leads other people to take notice. Once they're listening, it's up to you to impress them or not. Don't try too hard, but don't be shy to let them know that you're a force to be reckoned with.

• 3 weeks later...