"I absolutely need you to care for me & do my bidding, you are a turd if you do not"

Everyone who feels that way should give Ellis a read.

Excerpt:

There are two major forms of discomfort disturbance, or LFT: (1) anger at other people (e.g., "I absolutely need you to care for me and do my bidding, and you are a real turd if you don't!") and (2) anger at world conditions (e.g., "I absolutely need conditions to be arranged so that I am cared for and get everything I want, and the world is a horrible place if I am deprived!").

Because these two forms of LFT are closely related, Ellis says, humans almost invariably disturb themselves in only two major ways: by thinking in absolutist terms that produce ego disturbance and discomfort disturbance. He encourages his supervisees to look for both of these processes in anxious, depressed, self-hating, enraged, and self-pitying people, and he argues that in doing so they will soon be able to zero in on the key source of their clients' emotional and behavioral disturbance.

for the rest of this excellent article: http://www.rebt.org/dr/pamphletofthemonth.asp

Well, I think everybody is a turd but me...what would Ellis say about that???

Very good link, thanks!!! Ellis rocks!!!

• Author

what would Ellis say about that???

Email him and ask!!! Last time I emailed him, he answered :D

• Author

One more note; even folks like myself, who think Ellis has got an excellent take on how we think, can lose track of his wisdom on occasion and let stuff/people get to us. This was a good refresh for me for several reasons.

Thanks for link. Added to Favs

"I absolutely do not need you to care for me and do my bidding, and you are a real turd if you do!"-----Every teenager since humans could vocalize.

• Author

"I absolutely do not need you to care for me and do my bidding, and you are a real turd if you do!"-----Every teenager since humans could vocalize.

LOL. I feel for ya - but you were one and I was too and we both said it, didn't we! :o